ICS issues

StitchyWoman

Reaction score
My Razr updated to ICS this past week and I have had nothing but trouble since. Where I live I use to get a solid 3G connection. No problems at all. And I will say, this is the best phone I have ever had. Now, since the update, my phone barely registers a signal at home, its spotty at best. Nothing works on the phone that requires internet access (browser and apps). Tether and hot spot no longer work. I can receive and make phone calls and send and receive text messages. No email or anything else. Essentially, my smart phone is now a dumb phone. My husband has no issues with his bionic and he is at full strength for signal at all times. We were in town last night for dinner and while everyone at our table had a full 4G signal, my phone barely registered a 3G. Obviously the upgrade has done something to my phone. We called tech support. The only thing they had us do was turn the phone off, pop out the card, wait one minute, pop back in the card and turn the phone on. This made the phone work for a couple of hours and then back to nothing. Yesterday I went to the Verizon store (something I hate to do). The employee who looked at my phone could not offer me any answers. He restarted the phone and it registered a full 4G while I was there at their store, but when I got home, nothing. He is the kicker. I keep getting a dialog box that opens up and says: You have reached your data limit. Please re-enable data. I press OK and nothing. I am on an unlimited plan so that is something I should not see. I don't know if anyone else has been having this trouble but if they have and have any advice to offer, I am listening.

djspy

Reaction score
Have you tried doing a factory data reset? That is the ultimate "fix" if it doesn't fix the problems than it means the phone is screwed up. Call Verizon and tell them you did an FDR and didn't help. Or, this just came to me, you can get a new sim card for your phone. Maybe it's just the card. I'm surprised tech support or the store rep didn't advice that. Try the sim card approach first. It'll be faster if you go to the store as they can swap it out right
here. If it continues after the new sim card do the FDR. Call Verizon and have them send you a replacement if those two tips don't help.

jaseman

Reaction score
After doing an FDR, wipe the cache (instructions all over this forum) then install the .215 leak (instructions all over this forum) and I am willing to bet that the .215 leak will fix your issues. After installing .215 do another FDR. If the .215 leak doesn't fix your issues you can go back to .211 (stock ICS) (instructions all over this forum) and demand a replacement from Verizon! You have nothing to lose installing .215. Give it a try!

OP
StitchyWoman

StitchyWoman

Reaction score
Called back to tech support again. A sunday night on a holiday weekend and they picked right up. This is what the person said. They are having a ton of issues with the ICS and my problems are not uncommon. He said sometimes when the new updates come out, it doesn't necessarily get rid of all of the old software. The new software is not dealing well with unlimited plans which I am still on. He said the factory data reset will set my phone back to the previous version of software and my phone will not automatically update again. I will have to do it manually (which I won't). Anywho, the reset seems to have worked. Just need to reinstall a few apps, reset my ringtone and my stress level should stay down. Never know how much we depend on our devices until we can't use them. Thank you for your replies!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF StitchyWoman. Doing the factory data reset will help you immensely. Your problems with 3g and 4g could have been due to a data limit setting (really has nothing to do with having an unlimited data plan but if this setting is set to limit data, it will prevent your 3g or 4g from connecting). To make sure this is still not going to be a problem, go into settings then to data. With mobile data on, make sure "set mobile data limit" is unchecked.

The other thing you will want to check is to make sure you are not on global data (this is the ICS default for whatever lame reason). To change it to 4g/3g mode, go to
settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA. You will use less battery and get better signal on this mode.

If you are in a weak 4g area or 3g only area then you may want to set your phone to 3g only mode (I am in a 3g only area but I have not had any problems keeping it on LTE/CDMA). Install the LTE On/OFF app from play store (originally created for the thunderbolt but works fine for razr).

Hope this helps you start enjoying your phone back to normal again. Any questions or problems, just ask.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

larsonszoo

Reaction score
TisMyDroid, thank you so much. I wasn't having the problems StichyWoman was, but after changing the network setting from global, I have full bars for the first time since upgrade. You rock!