ICS - Is it really that big a deal?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If battery life matters to you at all, you should have an extended battery. The only phone I know of that can make it through a normal day of use without charging, stock, is the Razr Maxx.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Touchy, but not entirely true. Yeah if you're a power user who can't be around a charger often, then sure, the extended is almost a must. But if you're a moderate user who barely made it through 1 day on my Rezound with the extended Mugen, then 2 days of the same routine, if not more use, of the stock S3 battery is considerd pretty damn good. The first line is just asinine and unfair. Battery life is extremely important to me, probably the most important thing. But I'm not as willing to just give up form factor and weight. It has to be just right. So when I find a good stock battery that I don't feel I need the extended, then personally I think thats what matters.

I'm not sure if you don't like me or are just trying to play devil's advocate here, but this has now become completely off topic. There are plenty of other battery threads if you really want to continue this discussion, just let me know...

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion dude. Even me.

If you are not willing to give up Formfactor and weight, then battery is obviously not the most important thing to you. Thats not good or bad, thats just logic. The extended battery on the Rezound added all of 5 millimeters thickness and about 90 grams of weight. That was a small price to pay for being able to go a full day without charging IMO...even with brightness at full and 4G on all the time.

Oh yeah...and disagreeing with you on something does not mean someone doesn't "like" you. I can disagree with your opinion without hating you. LOL

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this thread about ICS being worth the effort or which camera, battery and/or phone is better?
Honestly ICS is a nice update and worth the effort to me but I'm also not disappointed that I didn't get it sooner. It just pushed to my Tab as well and I feel the same about it on there as well, ok but nothing earth shattering

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Xander Crews

Reaction score
If battery life matters to you at all, you should have an extended battery. The only phone I know of that can make it through a normal day of use without charging, stock, is the Razr Maxx.
Well, before I got the Rezound, I used to easily get a full day out of my D2's stock battery.
I have the extended battery on my Rezound and have gone 2 full days without charging on average use. I bought the extended when I bought the phone and put it in right away because I was aware that it didn't get very good battery life...which was really the only drawback of the phone.

Battery life is probably the most important thing to me, because without some juice in the battery, you can't do anything else.
I don't give two craps if my phone is a hair thicker and a tad heavier with an extended battery. How great is that slightly thinner phone when you are running out of juice at 5pm? Or have to switch out batteries halfway through the day? Or have to borrow someone's charger when you are away from yours?

The way I look at is like this... Smartphones are great because of what they can do, not because of how they look.
Sure, it's cool to have a slick looking phone...I get that. And if you have a slick looking phone that has every feature under the sun, then that's even better. But no way would I ever choose a phone that looks awesome, but can't do half the things other phones can do. That doesn't make sense to me. But there is a company that makes that very phone.... It's called the iPhone, and I hear it's quite popular. Which, again...doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The main reason I was so impressed with the extended battery is that I use my phone heavily. Reading books, music at the gym, web browsing...not to mention phone calls.

The extra battery life is more than the mAH rating would suggest.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
All I'm saying is just because I prefer the slimmer look doesn't mean battery life isn't important to me. That's something that appealed TO ME about the S3. I work. On my feet. A lot. I don't have unlimited time to play around and kill my phone by 5pm. I wish I did, trust me. But with my job and my use, I get almost 2 days on the stock battery, which is almost exactly what I got with my extended Rezound. And don't forget, with newer phones, it isn't about the battery size, it's about the processor efficiency.

Size-wise, I agree with you two 100%. But even with the slimmest case added (the slimmest I could find to offer even remote protection) it made the phone as big as a Rezound stacked on top of a Bionic. I tested it, I have pictures, I'll see if I can find them. I tried it, I really did. I even had a co-worker (who owns an iphone) laugh at it and ask where I got the jet pack. It just wasn't necessary for me. I don't disagree with either of you, I just think it's unfair to compare a stock battery to an extended battery and can't believe I'm alone in this. So to make me shut up, we'll even out the playing field a bit and when I pick up my S3 extended battery we'll try this again. :happy3:

To at least try and stay on topic, I have to say, I don't think ICS is that big of a deal. Some cool features, but a lot of it is just a few previous apps/third party launcher features integrated into the OS. Cool for sure, just not anything that blows my mind. The voice recognition on my S3 is pretty good, but I don't know if that's really an ICS thing. Facial recognition needs some work, especially in rooms with low light. I do like being able to disable certain apps, still can't get everything I want though...damn you back up assistant.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ok. But if battery life is not that big a deal to you, I don't see why the Rezound's supposedly crappy battery life would be an issue. When I had my stock battery I got a solid 6 to 8 hours from mine with normal use.

Battery life is less of an issue with phones that have replaceable batteries. Thats why I don't give points for battery life anymore for them. Battery life is only relevant IMO for phones where you are stuck with the stock one (like the OneX or Razr).

stemo

Reaction score
IMO ICS gets better with time. It went from draining my extended battery in maybe 10 hrs to dropping 10% in 8 hrs.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ok. But if battery life is not that big a deal to you, I don't see why the Rezound's supposedly crappy battery life would be an issue. When I had my stock battery I got a solid 6 to 8 hours from mine with normal use.

Battery life is less of an issue with phones that have replaceable batteries. Thats why I don't give points for battery life anymore for them. Battery life is only relevant IMO for phones where you are stuck with the stock one (like the OneX or Razr).

My friend I never once said the Rezounds battery was crappy (though 8-10 hours of normal use speaks for itself) and I've said about 5 times battery life is the most important thing to me. I also got the Rezound as a replacement and knew I wouldn't have it more than 6 or so months cause I'd have an upgrade.

The difference between us is I base it on MY use, not the max amount of use I can get with heavy use. It's very important that I easily get through a day with no worries about settings. I use my phone for work, so it's important I can always access email and calls. Also I stated I got the Mugen slim extended, so technically yeah, battery is important enough to where I bought a slim extended for $50 instead of using the ugly one I got for $25. I just don't see the connection between not needing an extended and how that means I don't care. If I had to charge my phone a lot and always swap batteries it'd be a different story.

And just fyi, with normal/heavy usage I get AT LEAST 15 hours on this stock. If I charge it for about 15-20 minutes at some point that can increase to almost 2 days. Also I have wireless charging capabilities. My Mugen didn't even come close to this (on GB, before battery got worse for some on ICS) Congrats for not caring about form factor/weight and I'm glad you enjoy your extended, just wish you could be glad I enjoy my new stock just as much. Sorry if my life is actually based around a reliable battery and this one is good enough to where I don't need to worry about it. That's all I said to begin with. :blink:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So the S3 is your Goldilocks. Not too much battery and not too little. I get it.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
LOL!! I'm glad a Goldilocks analogy put it into perspective for you. Why didn't I think of that... :happy3:

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
When I had my stock battery I got a solid 6 to 8 hours from mine with normal use.
Hmmm...I don't call 6-8 hours of batery life, "solid". I call that crappy.
A phone should get at least twice that, if it doesn't, an extended battery is needed. If an extended battery isn't available, a different phone is needed.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Hmmm...I don't call 6-8 hours of batery life, "solid". I call that crappy.

So do I. Thats why I have an extended battery.

It is "solid" by stock standards.

droidMaxx-Chart_675x500-540x400.jpg

http://www.grabi.org/droid-razr-maxx-wins-the-competition-in-4g-lte-battery-life-test/

Xander Crews

Reaction score