ICS - Is it really that big a deal?

JeffDenver

Reaction score
ICS - Is it really that big a deal?
Yes.

1) Ability to freeze/disable any app...this means freedom from bloat and Verizon garbageware. I can even disable some elements of Sense.

2) Smooth screen transitions...iOS-like screen transitions are something I really like.

3) Faster...ICS is designed to take advantage of multi-core CPUs much better than GB. Because of this everything runs faster. I have especially noticed this with multi-tasking. I don't get occasional hangs and pauses anymore.

Face recognition is a potentially useful feature. No, it is not perfectly secure, but neither are any of the other methods (I can break the dot-method myself fairy easy just by looking at the pattern on the glass, and the PIN method can be brute-forced). There is no security method on any smartphone right now that is more secure than what Android has.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I guess I was expecting some really new neat thing that ICS could do but didn't see anything. Much ado about 'nuthin'. Just my .02 cents.
What exactly is it you were expecting?

This update is certainly a bigger leap than GB was. A bigger leap than any other update so far except maybe Froyo (the JIT compiler was pretty awesome).

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I think the difference is night and day between GB and ICS. I've had it for four days now and I quite enjoy the improvements. Not that I hated GB by any means, it was fine...but ICS is a better version of Android, hands down.
  • It may be a hair faster.
  • Google Voice seems to function much better within ICS. No delays in texting...which could get annoying at times. Not sure if it's an ICS thing or a byproduct of a new version of Google Voice... but either way, it's great.
  • The voice recognition deal that converts your voice to text for emails, texting, etc...is much better than the old version.
  • The shortcut bar at the bottom is so much better...but that might be a Sense thing. Either way, it's better.
  • Battery life may be a hair better. Although, I thought with my extended battery it was fine before.
  • The Gmail interface is far superior to the old one...and I liked the old one.
  • Swipe to remove specific notifications is a little thing that is a big deal. Very nice.
  • I've had no problems with the camera. Outstanding as always. I love this camera btw.
  • Disabling Verizon apps is nice.
I honestly don't have any cons for ICS...yet. Maybe I'll stumble across something as the days go by.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
I'm not thrilled with the update. While the behavior of the phone is smoother and less prone to freezing than Gingerbread, battery life suffers. Was getting 10 to 12 hours on a charge with GB, barely getting 5.5 with ICS. Things that used to be 1 touch take more (non-standard ICS setup -- eg., no "Settings" in the notification pull-down). Getting a constant notification that an app requires permission to access my Google account and every time I select it I get the message: "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped."

All in all, the quality control on this update is even less than I've seen on previous updates on a Thunderbolt and the Rezound.

Hmmm...well, 'm just not experiencing what you are talking about in your critcisms of ICS.
However, I noticed after the ICS update that a some of my app settings needed to be redone.
Maybe you need to address some of your apps settings? Maybe they are running in the background, updating, etc. when you didn't have them running before?

I turn off Facebook updates. I don't need my phone beeping at me every 5 minutes. Facebook can really drain a phone. Also, I turned off the sync on some of the google services associated with my account. I don't need Google Books and a handful of others running a sync every couple hours. I never use some of them anyway.

5.5 hours? I am guessing you don't have the extended battery? I'd recommend getting one.
Honestly, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get the extended battery. On moderate use, I can go two full days on one charge. When I stick it on the charger at night, I'm usually over 50%...and I stay up pretty late. On heavier use days, I may stick it on the charger with 20-30% or so. I think I paid $30 for the extended battery. No brainer if you ask me.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yeah, the extended battery is the best thing I ever bought for a phone. Being able to go a full (FULL) day without having to worry about charging is just awesome. Never have to turn down brightness or turn off 4G.

Some games still eat battery like candy though, even with the extended battery.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Yeah, the extended battery is the best thing I ever bought for a phone. Being able to go a full (FULL) day without having to worry about charging is just awesome. Never have to turn down brightness or turn off 4G.

Some games still eat battery like candy though, even with the extended battery.

I have an app (Timeriffic) that automatically turns down the brightness in the evening. No need for me to have a bright as can be screen after the sun goes down. I have it up brighter during the day as I may be outside.
I have a widget that allows me to toggle 4G on and off. I rarely need it and don't see a need for it to be running all of the time.
I don't play games on my phone...not many anyway. I wish I had the time. :)

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I've had ICS for a couple of months now and I love it. The biggest thing for me besides being able to freeze bloat is Android is so smooth. Even with the early leaks it was nice and smooth. Pair it up with Go Launcher and watch iPhone users drool (and a few Android users too). I said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing out there that makes me want to trade in my Rezound...NOTHING!!!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
qeuifang0 said:
When it is available you will see many threads about it.
It has been out for months now, where have you been.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums

esheesle

Reaction score
davidm2 said:
I'm not thrilled with the update. While the behavior of the phone is smoother and less prone to freezing than Gingerbread, battery life suffers. Was getting 10 to 12 hours on a charge with GB, barely getting 5.5 with ICS. Things that used to be 1 touch take more (non-standard ICS setup -- eg., no "Settings" in the notification pull-down). Getting a constant notification that an app requires permission to access my Google account and every time I select it I get the message: "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped."

All in all, the quality control on this update is even less than I've seen on previous updates on a Thunderbolt and the Rezound.

Try rebooting 2-3 times to get rid of the "stopped" errors. Had those the first 2 days but so far none since. See if that stays the case after another couple weeks.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had several Android devices over the last couple of years and they all have 1 thing in common after any firmware update. It takes a few days of reboot at least once a day for the improvements to outshine the quirks that get less and less with each reboot.
I'm still waiting for my battery life to get better on this phone. On my Inc 1 after GB updated my battery life on the standard battery was about the same as froyo using the extended after a couple of weeks.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

davidm2

Reaction score
esheesle said:
Try rebooting 2-3 times to get rid of the "stopped" errors. Had those the first 2 days but so far none since. See if that stays the case after another couple weeks.

Shouldn't have to do that with the proper software quality control.

Rebooted several times, including 2 into safe mode, & a factory reset. Not getting it as much, but still occurs.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
What exactly is it you were expecting?

Something really new/different/exciting. I've a very visual person. I just didn't see anything that knocked me out. Yes, it's a little faster/smoother and it does boot a little faster. But I was looking for something exciting. Something like "beam" is really cool and exciting although I doubt seriously I'd ever use it because unless you're beaming to a similarly equipped phone, it's not going to work. The facial recognition thing is really not much..not very effective, not very secure (someone could probably use a picture of you to get into your phone) so, what's to be excited about? Yes, you can disable bloatware. But how much did that really interfere with your use of the phone? I bought an extended battery early on and don't have any problem with all day all night performance, sooooooo where's the beef?

Last edited:

luannw7

Reaction score
ICS downloaded yesterday. I can't get to notifications anymore by using the 2nd icon from the left on my phone. Any advice?

HowardZ

Reaction score
ICS downloaded yesterday. I can't get to notifications anymore by using the 2nd icon from the left on my phone. Any advice?

Place your finger on the top of your display, drag down, and you will see notifications. at the bottom of the notifications is also a quick settings tab.

Hope this will not wear out your finger.
I saw a jetson's cartoon episode where the family needed a vacation because they were tired out from pressing buttons and their fingers hurt.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Um...how was it different under GB? You've always had to get to notifications that way. ICS did not change that.