ICS - Is it really that big a deal?

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by Bluesman2008, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008 Member

Just got it but I don't see what the big deal is. I guess I was expecting alot more than I got. I do like the little docking thingy at the bottom of the screen where you can store often used apps and the notification window, when you slide it down, looks a little different, but I sure don't get the big deal. I even downloaded the manual, went through that, and I'm still not all that jazzed. They say the facial recognition you can use to "get into" your phone instead of other methods isn't all that secure so what's the big deal? What am I missing? The phone does seem to run a little faster/smoother, but that's about it.
  2. sp3ar2envi

sp3ar2envi New Member

Smoother and faster as you said. and potentially better battery life.. I just got my ota today so ill have to see.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums
  3. HowardZ

HowardZ New Member

I have read that Gingerbread could only use one CPU core. So theoretically our phones should now be up to twice as fast?
  4. Snoking

Snoking Member

Quadrant showed my phone running about the same. I set my ICS screens up close to what I had on GB, same keyboard and browser . Same notification bar!

Would someone see striking differences? NO!

Did WiFi tether now work with out root? NO!

Did BT tether work better? NO!

So is ICS really great? Jury is off for the weekend!
  5. stemo

stemo New Member

I love ICS on my rezound. It fills so much smoother than GB.
  6. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

I wasn't really impressed at first, but its growing on me. I've finally been checking out launchers and that coupled with ics really unlocks a lot of potential. Being able to have the recent apps drawer on the dock is pretty cool and let's me multitask much faster. Being able to swipe to clear out notifications is very helpful too. All I really need is google now which is incredible on jb.
  7. hydro556

hydro556 New Member

I like a lot of it, but I came from a Nexus and already appreciated 4.0.

Have you noticed the completely new font when surfing the web? Much easier to read for me. General smoothness, and freshening up appeals to me.
  8. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

Not really, keep dreaming, more efficient, but twice as fast, NO, LOL.
  9. TWC42

TWC42 New Member

The update to ICS fixed a nagging problem for me. For my Google contacts, under Gingerbread, those with birthdays prior to 1/1/1970 showed up one day earlier. HTC was aware of the error and suggested using a third party app (like Contapps) which would show the correct date. That error was corrected with the update to ICS, and I can delete Contapps. Contapps is nice, but it is now redundant, and the native "People" shows more detail about the contacts.
  10. shockracer

shockracer Member

I'm liking ICS from a performance stand point, but hating the software setup. Jumping through hoops to go to my favorite book marks, the menu in the browser is like a damn desktop menu, the auto correction is hit and miss when it wants to work, and the hidden HTC codes are gone! Battery life is the same, benchmark scores are maybe a hair better, the Bluetooth still disconnects from devices (voice or media) when cell signal is low, sometimes the cursed has a mind of its own and will move around where your typing. I see no big difference yet that tells me ICS was Werth it. Even right now typing in landscap mode the auto correction is off the screen.

The only thing that is nice is the ability to disable VZW apps.
  11. Snoking

Snoking Member

Give Dolphin browser and Smart Keyboard Pro a try. I like that I can have cursor keys. I have them set for landscape only.
  12. Snoking

Snoking Member

HZutils will let you get to the old *#*#4636#*#* menu.
  13. Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008 Member

I guess I was expecting some really new neat thing that ICS could do but didn't see anything. Much ado about 'nuthin'. Just my .02 cents.
  14. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

There is lots of different features in ICS, it will take you a while to figure it out. For one its smoother with better battery power.

Sent from my HTC Rezound with ICS/Galaxy Siii using Droid Forums
  15. davidm2

davidm2 New Member

I'm not thrilled with the update. While the behavior of the phone is smoother and less prone to freezing than Gingerbread, battery life suffers. Was getting 10 to 12 hours on a charge with GB, barely getting 5.5 with ICS. Things that used to be 1 touch take more (non-standard ICS setup -- eg., no "Settings" in the notification pull-down). Getting a constant notification that an app requires permission to access my Google account and every time I select it I get the message: "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped."

All in all, the quality control on this update is even less than I've seen on previous updates on a Thunderbolt and the Rezound.
  16. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Yes.

1) Ability to freeze/disable any app...this means freedom from bloat and Verizon garbageware. I can even disable some elements of Sense.

2) Smooth screen transitions...iOS-like screen transitions are something I really like.

3) Faster...ICS is designed to take advantage of multi-core CPUs much better than GB. Because of this everything runs faster. I have especially noticed this with multi-tasking. I don't get occasional hangs and pauses anymore.

Face recognition is a potentially useful feature. No, it is not perfectly secure, but neither are any of the other methods (I can break the dot-method myself fairy easy just by looking at the pattern on the glass, and the PIN method can be brute-forced). There is no security method on any smartphone right now that is more secure than what Android has.
  17. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

What exactly is it you were expecting?

This update is certainly a bigger leap than GB was. A bigger leap than any other update so far except maybe Froyo (the JIT compiler was pretty awesome).
  18. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Member

I think the difference is night and day between GB and ICS. I've had it for four days now and I quite enjoy the improvements. Not that I hated GB by any means, it was fine...but ICS is a better version of Android, hands down.
    • It may be a hair faster.
    • Google Voice seems to function much better within ICS. No delays in texting...which could get annoying at times. Not sure if it's an ICS thing or a byproduct of a new version of Google Voice... but either way, it's great.
    • The voice recognition deal that converts your voice to text for emails, texting, etc...is much better than the old version.
    • The shortcut bar at the bottom is so much better...but that might be a Sense thing. Either way, it's better.
    • Battery life may be a hair better. Although, I thought with my extended battery it was fine before.
    • The Gmail interface is far superior to the old one...and I liked the old one.
    • Swipe to remove specific notifications is a little thing that is a big deal. Very nice.
    • I've had no problems with the camera. Outstanding as always. I love this camera btw.
    • Disabling Verizon apps is nice.
    I honestly don't have any cons for ICS...yet. Maybe I'll stumble across something as the days go by.
  19. Xander Crews

Xander Crews Member

Hmmm...well, 'm just not experiencing what you are talking about in your critcisms of ICS.
    However, I noticed after the ICS update that a some of my app settings needed to be redone.
    Maybe you need to address some of your apps settings? Maybe they are running in the background, updating, etc. when you didn't have them running before?

I turn off Facebook updates. I don't need my phone beeping at me every 5 minutes. Facebook can really drain a phone. Also, I turned off the sync on some of the google services associated with my account. I don't need Google Books and a handful of others running a sync every couple hours. I never use some of them anyway.

5.5 hours? I am guessing you don't have the extended battery? I'd recommend getting one.
    Honestly, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't get the extended battery. On moderate use, I can go two full days on one charge. When I stick it on the charger at night, I'm usually over 50%...and I stay up pretty late. On heavier use days, I may stick it on the charger with 20-30% or so. I think I paid $30 for the extended battery. No brainer if you ask me.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  20. JeffDenver

JeffDenver New Member

Yeah, the extended battery is the best thing I ever bought for a phone. Being able to go a full (FULL) day without having to worry about charging is just awesome. Never have to turn down brightness or turn off 4G.

Some games still eat battery like candy though, even with the extended battery.
Search tags for this page
account manager stopped android
google account manager

google account manager has stopped

how to fix unfortunately google account manager has stopped

unfortunately google account manager has stopped

unfortunately google account manager has stopped htc -rom

unfortunately google account manager has stopped rezound

unfortunately google account manager has stopped verizon sys