ICS for Droid Bionic

dfcfu342

Reaction score
UpcomingDroidBuyer said:
Sorry to go off topic here, but what would be the benefit of updating to ICS? And if it's the theme people want, you can always download GoLauncherEX and download an Ice Cream Sandwich Theme that's available.

Gingerbread is not coded to run on a dual core processor, it was only ever intended for single core processors. As a result it is very inefficient because it runs core 1 to max before even starting core 2 which essentially just picks up the leftovers. ICS is coded from the ground up to run on dual core phones as well as take advantage of the greater amount of ram phones have now versus when Gingerbread was released hence the greater than 512mb ram requirement for ICS.

In a nutshell ICS was designed to run on our phones as dual core high ram phones and it runs much more efficiently and provides a performance boost.

That is the core operating system side of it plus there are all the little UI and experience enhancements that come with every update.

josh1980

Reaction score
aaf709 said:
It's possible that neither the Bionic nor the Razr will be able to take Jelly Bean. No proof, but par for the course. And by that time, we'll probably be on other phones.

I doubt moto would do another update even if the bionic could use it. They want you to buy more phones instead. I just meant we'll be behind even when ics is released.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I doubt moto would do another update even if the bionic could use it. They want you to buy more phones instead. I just meant we'll be behind even when ics is released.

I see your point. I was just trying to say that by the time Jelly Bean comes out, you'll probably have another phone and won't care what the Bionic can do.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
My feelings were based on the the fact that the Bionic has unique hardware and it was listed as step one (Evaluation and Planning) and not step 2 (Development) as Motorola's list originally stated. I know, a few phones on the list are looking to get ICS sooner, but those phones are also newer.

It doesn't have "unique" hardware. It shares the OMAP4430/Moto LTE chipset with the RAZR/RAZR MAXX/D4 - the ONLY difference from a hardware standpoint is the way the CPU frequency steps are set up. The Bionic goes up to 1GHz, the other phones have an extra "slot" for 1.2GHz operation. Development on these 3 phones (Bionic, RAZR, D4) should be just about neck-in-neck.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gingerbread is not coded to run on a dual core processor, it was only ever intended for single core processors. As a result it is very inefficient because it runs core 1 to max before even starting core 2 which essentially just picks up the leftovers. ICS is coded from the ground up to run on dual core phones as well as take advantage of the greater amount of ram phones have now versus when Gingerbread was released hence the greater than 512mb ram requirement for ICS.

In a nutshell ICS was designed to run on our phones as dual core high ram phones and it runs much more efficiently and provides a performance boost.

That is the core operating system side of it plus there are all the little UI and experience enhancements that come with every update.

This.

As a matter of fact, IMHO advertising a Gingerbread phone as a "dual-core phone" borders on false advertising. Not true false advertising, as there are indeed 2 cores; but they can not be used PROPERLY.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just had an interesting thought come to mind regarding ICS.

I am beginning to wonder if the Verizon GNex being stuck on 4.0.2 is causing the delay.

Perhaps Verizon wants to get the GNex updated first. I get a funny feeling that once that happens, all of a sudden the ICS updates will start rolling out.

It wouldn't look good for Verizon if their supposed "Flagship Android Device" was running an older version of Android than their other Android devices. And it might even tick Google off. GNex owners are already ticked off because they haven't seen a single update since launch. Imagine the uproar if the Moto devices started getting 4.0.3 or greater.

LemmyCaution

Reaction score
Sorry but a promise from Verizon is a given. It's just a matter of time.
That I don't dispute however, having had a Thunderbolt prior to the Bionic - I tend to be a little cynical about promises from VZW.
:)

Last edited:

akhi216

Reaction score
bbtkd said:
No, not next week...."soon"

Daddy are we there yet? Soon............

[video=youtube;raNM0UvR_Bo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNM0UvR_Bo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]