ICS for Droid Bionic

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by jerry1946, May 17, 2012.

1. jerry1946

jerry1946 New Member

2. jdlowsracer

jdlowsracer New Member

Not surprised, we've been screwed from day one. At this point I'd be surprised if we get it at all.
  3. Suuperflie

Suuperflie New Member

Exactly how different will the coding be for the razr than the bionic? It can't be that much different.
  4. akhi216

akhi216 Member

This is why I knida shied away from the smartphone scene. Carriers want people to sign their life away to two year contracts and look how they have them treated once the "latest and greatest" gets released.
  5. LemmyCaution

LemmyCaution New Member

Why do we get all jacked-up about this? ICS for the Bionic has been little more than a rumor ('promises' from the carriers/MOTO are just formally distributed rumors). Rumors and innuendo. If I want the newest, greatest AOS from
    Google/VZW/ATT etc. I'm going to wait for it to appear on a phone. Meanwhile, I'll make do with .902 and whatever ROM I've have on my safestrapped Bionic. Simple.
  6. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Sorry but a promise from Verizon is a given. It's just a matter of time.
  7. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

ICS will be released for the Bionic sometime next week.
  8. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Is that a fact or just wishful thinking?

It would be nice if the Bionic got ICS next week but it's unlikely considering the fact that there hasn't been a leak yet.
  9. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 New Member

Lol!

As much as I appreciate your humor others may take this as serious.
  10. CurGeorge8

CurGeorge8 New Member

Pay me no regard. I figure if the author of that post on gottabemobile can just make **** up and have everyone believe him, so can I.
  11. akhi216

akhi216 Member

Yeah he did pull "facts" out of is behind.
  12. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say "Next week at the earliest" That would be true and if it's before then, well, you can say "Opps, it was earlier than what I heard."
  13. josh1980

josh1980 New Member

It's hard to tell if the story has any facts to back up the claims, but I have always felt(but not hoped) that we wouldn't see ICS any earlier than Q3 2012, and perhaps as late as Q2 2013. My feelings were based on the the fact that the Bionic has unique hardware and it was listed as step one (Evaluation and Planning) and not step 2 (Development) as Motorola's list originally stated. I know, a few phones on the list are looking to get ICS sooner, but those phones are also newer. Cell phone companies and cell phone service providers aren't interested in giving customers more once they have your money. They'd prefer that you buy a new cell phone and sign up for new service all over again so they can milk you for 2 more years. I won't be buying a phone that has issues like the Bionic had even if the manufacturer promises to fix them. Look at what their promises are worth in the long run.

The real BS is that by the time we get ICS on our phone(which I expect to have alot of issues) Jellybean will be out and available and we won't care about ICS anymore.

I've also wondered if Motorola doesn't want to spend the R&D on ICS on the Bionic and is instead playing the waiting game while alot of people switch to other phones so when they decide to finally come out and say that it's not "cost effective" or whatever excuse they come up with they'll piss off fewer customers than if they had made the same announcement in January. Last thing companies want to do is deliberately piss off their customers. ;)
  14. aaf709

It's possible that neither the Bionic nor the Razr will be able to take Jelly Bean. No proof, but par for the course. And by that time, we'll probably be on other phones.
  15. xPlatinum-Androidx

xPlatinum-Androidx New Member

Sorry to go off topic here, but what would be the benefit of updating to ICS? And if it's the theme people want, you can always download GoLauncherEX and download an Ice Cream Sandwich Theme that's available.
  16. dfcfu342

dfcfu342 New Member

Gingerbread is not coded to run on a dual core processor, it was only ever intended for single core processors. As a result it is very inefficient because it runs core 1 to max before even starting core 2 which essentially just picks up the leftovers. ICS is coded from the ground up to run on dual core phones as well as take advantage of the greater amount of ram phones have now versus when Gingerbread was released hence the greater than 512mb ram requirement for ICS.

In a nutshell ICS was designed to run on our phones as dual core high ram phones and it runs much more efficiently and provides a performance boost.

That is the core operating system side of it plus there are all the little UI and experience enhancements that come with every update.
  17. josh1980

josh1980 New Member

I doubt moto would do another update even if the bionic could use it. They want you to buy more phones instead. I just meant we'll be behind even when ics is released.
  18. aaf709

I see your point. I was just trying to say that by the time Jelly Bean comes out, you'll probably have another phone and won't care what the Bionic can do.
  19. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

It doesn't have "unique" hardware. It shares the OMAP4430/Moto LTE chipset with the RAZR/RAZR MAXX/D4 - the ONLY difference from a hardware standpoint is the way the CPU frequency steps are set up. The Bionic goes up to 1GHz, the other phones have an extra "slot" for 1.2GHz operation. Development on these 3 phones (Bionic, RAZR, D4) should be just about neck-in-neck.
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

This.

As a matter of fact, IMHO advertising a Gingerbread phone as a "dual-core phone" borders on false advertising. Not true false advertising, as there are indeed 2 cores; but they can not be used PROPERLY.