I see why people keep asking about Task Killer

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnly

This issue has been hashed out in multiple, long threads. Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram.

This is 100% false. I don't care who uses task killers and who doesn't and I'd rather not spend another hour explaining the technical aspect of why you're wrong. The OS DOES NOT automatically clean things up. It doesn't even claim to. It only removes apps from memory when it doesn't have enough free memory to complete a given task. But ANY app that is in the background is using just as much RAM and just as much power as if it were running in the foreground. Whether you like it or not it's a fact. If you don't believe it fine... I'm sure you're still happy with your Droid. BUT don't spread false information. Task killers do save battery at an exponential rate. There is a reason I get 48+ hours on my Droid and most others get less than 24.
PM me, let us exchange 100% fallacies? I never say 100% (100% ers are mistaken if you ask me) (I like the open sources, and open minded type:) but I do have an opened mind.....lol. You better have a better explanation! I am calling you out now! What development projects have you initiated? I know Linux, and if you cat scratch Me a 100% all I can do is laugh~! Common, program talk to me, that is 99% bull that you are cat nipping!

mrdroid

Reaction score
"Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram." is 100% false as it's 100% impossible for something to resident in an OS without being resident in RAM. I do development on the side but I'm a hardware engineer by trade.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its a tool to use IF needed like anything else.
I have it, seldom use it.

J

Johnly

"Just because a Linux window is open, doesn't mean it is using ram." is 100% false as it's 100% impossible for something to resident in an OS without being resident in RAM. I do development on the side but I'm a hardware engineer by trade.
Never mind, you are a 100% er. You can learn something if you PM me and talk source programming! I am still waiting? If you can't I don't blame your smoke and mirrors....common, I am very intelligent conversation, and have sources? PM me already, so we can avert taking this thread down! Last time, you got upset remember? Lets keep it civil.

bje1982

Reaction score
This is a beat up topic.. but some people believe in them and some don't. To call a verizon rep uneducated because he recommends a task killr is rediculous. I recommend it but tell people to only use it when needed and to stay away from the end all button. Sure there's a force stop option built in but the interface of the task killer I use is much easier to use then the built in one. People should stop confusing there own beliefs with facts. The fact is android needs a task killer or it wouldn't have a built in one. My droid came with a music player too but that doesn't mean there's not a better one that you can download.

jbg25

Reaction score
I am no programmer...so dont kill me but.....

while under stock circumstances I agree 100% (lol) you will NEVER need a task killer...most of us dont go minimalistic. And I am not talking about root and roms...I am just talking about apps available to everyone on the market.

Which means you are no longer reliant on the amazing linux programming of google and its techs...but instead on the work of a small company or often a single person. Much harder for that person to get their programming perfect for all versions of android..at least I would imagine. So way more often that I would like to admit to my family and friends with iphones...apps that were great yesterday might f/c today because of an update from the dev.

I know I have downloaded more than one app that was great for a while, and then just started going nuts...including running in the background continuously and refusing to relinquish the memory it was using when fully active, and occasionally just hogging increasing amounts of memory as it hangs there. Using a task killer that is properly set up can be very useful for both stopping and locating said rogue programs.

Can it be done without...certainly. But when the phone is crawling just moving from homescreen to homescreen...it is nice to just push a widget and fix the problem immediately. Then have all the speed you want when trying to locate and uninstall.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
i also heard atk being suggested to another customer when i first got my droid. personally i keep advanced task manager on my phone even though im not sure as to how much i use it. i set it to ignore closing native apps with the exception of youtube and browser(not sure if good idea) i guess its just quicker and more intergrated than the built-in task manager. i know that the android os is supposed to end apps itself when they are not in use but ive heard there are still a few non-native apps that are so-called poorly written where they will not close automatically. i really dont know what to believe. are all those task killers/managers on the market really pointless? idk this arguement is probably gonna last the lifetime of the android franchise.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am 100% sure that I don't approve of task killers being acitve in a Droid.

I'm also pretty sure they do come in handy from time to time.

Case and point. Sometimes the browser will hang. You've got two choices, you can either shut down your phone completely, or if you happen to have a task killer around use that to shut down the browser.

I had a game suddenly freeze on me. I went to the home screen, clicked on task panel (that's what I use) and killed the task. Problem solved.

I did ASAP do a reboot in both cases.

I think that those who leave task killer on to automatically kill running task in background could be asking for trouble. I've seen a lot of people post that just removing the task killer solved issues with performance on Droids. Take a look at my post count, I spend a lot of time in here.

This will forever be an ongoing debate. That's just my personal views/advice, YMMV and probably will.;)

OP
D

dracos

Reaction score
In my defense I called a Best Buy representative uneducated nor Verizon :). Anyway if I have a runaway task I usually use the built in task killer to kill of a task thats why I told my son he didnt need it.

Like someone else said this has been hashed over again and again. Some people are of the philosophy you dont need a task killers others say you do. For me I dont believe you do, because I have a built in one if I need to kill a task.

J

Johnly

In my defense I called a Best Buy representative uneducated nor Verizon :). Anyway if I have a runaway task I usually use the built in task killer to kill of a task thats why I told my son he didnt need it.

Like someone else said this has been hashed over again and again. Some people are of the philosophy you dont need a task killers others say you do. For me I dont believe you do, because I have a built in one if I need to kill a task.
smart...very smart

OP
D

dracos

Reaction score
Why ban the topic its not like we are flaming each other or talking about raping each others' moms, its just a friendly debate :).

I was just relaying my experience when I went to go purchase my son a droid phone. Did I mention he loves the crap out of his Ally and says he sees why its called a smartphone it runs circles around his Voyager. I just laughed.

bje1982

Reaction score
The adminastrators should ban this topic lmfao
You OK? Your spelling is quite amusing!

Why ban the topic its not like we are flaming each other or talking about raping each others' moms, its just a friendly debate :).

I was just relaying my experience when I went to go purchase my son a droid phone. Did I mention he loves the crap out of his Ally and says he sees why its called a smartphone it runs circles around his Voyager. I just laughed.

Maybe you misunderstood that that was a joke.. and sorry maybe I could get a spelling lesson from one of you.. but on a serious note I've seen at least 10 threads just like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.