I really need some serious help here guys. Please!

OP
LS-208

LS-208

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that there are better resources than I am to help you, but let us all understand your sequence here.

When you flash the new recovery, do you then immediately (1) reboot to the bootloader, and (2) from the bootloader select recovery? If so, when you do are you booting that new recovery or the old one?

I guess I don't understand what you mean when you say it "flashed" you into the new recovery at some point, then later reverted to the old one.

John

I can only access Amon Ra if I go through flashboot on the pc and flash it to the phone. . Otherwise, just powering down the phone and then rebooting into hboot then recovery gives me CWM.

Sent from my Hijacked Rezound using Droid Forums

jrredho

Reaction score
I can only access Amon Ra if I go through flashboot on the pc and flash it to the phone.

Okay, got it. Hmmm. That almost sounds like you're booting the recovery from flashboot, then when you power down, it goes to the one that got flashed previously.

Would you mind going through the sequence I suggest in my post above. Then power down your phone, and manually go into recovery via the bootloader at power up? I'm just wondering if there's something like a buffering thing that happens if you don't immediately reboot to the bootloader after you've flashed...

good luck,
john

OP
LS-208

LS-208

Reaction score
Okay, got it. Hmmm. That almost sounds like you're booting the recovery from flashboot, then when you power down, it goes to the one that got flashed previously.

Would you mind going through the sequence I suggest in my post above. Then power down your phone, and manually go into recovery via the bootloader at power up? I'm just wondering if there's something like a buffering thing that happens if you don't immediately reboot to the bootloader after you've flashed...

good luck,
john

Sure will. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

OP
LS-208

LS-208

Reaction score
Ok, I think I may have it this time. I believe I was only flashing Amon Ra temporarily via fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img instead of "fastboot flash recovery <your downloaded recovery file>". It seems to be working fine now. I rebooted the phone into recovery and it went into Amon Ra.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think I may have it this time. I believe I was only flashing Amon Ra temporarily via fastboot boot <recoveryname>.img instead of "fastboot flash recovery <your downloaded recovery file>". It seems to be working fine now. I rebooted the phone into recovery and it went into Amon Ra.

Aaaaaand boom goes the dynamite :)

Bpowder33

Reaction score

Funny, I just found out that temporarily flashing a recovery is an excellent way for s_on Ppl to flash roms like s_off.

http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/587430-s-want-flash-roms-read.html

jrredho

Reaction score
Funny, I just found out that temporarily flashing a recovery is an excellent way for s_on Ppl to flash roms like s_off.

s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS - Android Forums

I agree that that page is a great resource.

The comparison to S-Off only works for the business of writing to the boot partition, which enables you to flash firmware, e.g. radios, and the boot.img, from recovery. Unless I've misunderstood something, if you are S-On, you will still be unable to go freely among ROMs with lower HBOOT revs than your current version, which is really the point of the whole S-Off business, I think.

john

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I agree that that page is a great resource.

The comparison to S-Off only works for the business of writing to the boot partition, which enables you to flash firmware, e.g. radios, and the boot.img, from recovery. Unless I've misunderstood something, if you are S-On, you will still be unable to go freely among ROMs with lower HBOOT revs than your current version, which is really the point of the whole S-Off business, I think.

john

Yep, that's 100% correct. For someone like me that sticks with the same rom, cm 10.1, and prefers clean flashes and staying s-on it's an excellent way to flash in one step.