Need help with rooting HTC Rezound

LyricWulf

Reaction score
Hi,
I've tried to root my HTC Rezound with no luck. I installed SU in the past, but I still don't have root access, and I've been using this phone for a while. I tried to re-install SU but I can't find the [Developer Options] menu in CWM Recovery.

The options I have on CWM:
[reboot system now]
[install zip from sdcard]
[install zip from sideload]
[wipe data/factory reset]
[wipe cache partition]
[backup and restore]
[mounts and storage]
[advanced]

I have ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.2.3, I have an unlocked bootloader, and I'm running Android 4.0.3 ICS. Please help :( I'm happy to provide more specs, just ask.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
You really don't want CWM on the Rezound. You want Amon Ra. Check the guide in my sig. The links may be a bit out of date but trust me when I say...don't bother with CWM on this phone.

OP
L

LyricWulf

Reaction score
You really don't want CWM on the Rezound. You want Amon Ra. Check the guide in my sig. The links may be a bit out of date but trust me when I say...don't bother with CWM on this phone.

Thank you, I will check out the links as soon as I can.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Hate to say this, but amon ra is outdated for the rezound! No active dev recommends it, actually has been the cause of problems for many users wiping and flashing roms as of late, go with twrp or cwm. Both have been recently update in the xda forums. Don't believe me, just read the op for every rom available in original android development :)

acejavelin

Reaction score
Remember though, you don't need to actually FLASH a custom recovery, all you need to do is "fastboot boot recovery.img", I would recommend TWRP, but CWM should work, except I think with CWM you have to manually flash SuperSU from the SD card, whereas Amon Ra (outdated for current JB ROMs but still works for most purposes) and TWRP have SuperSU embedded in them. Just go to this page: SuperSU Download and download the file, then copy it to the root of your SD card, in CWM (or other recovery) go to Install ZIP from SD Card, then select ZIP file (wording varies by recovery) and select the file you just copied to the SD card and install it... Reboot and you should be good to go!

Bpowder33

Reaction score
"Fastboot boot recovery" is an s_on persons best friend for flashing roms!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but amon ra is outdated for the rezound! No active dev recommends it, actually has been the cause of problems for many users wiping and flashing roms as of late, go with twrp or cwm. Both have been recently update in the xda forums. Don't believe me, just read the op for every rom available in original android development :)

Have I been out of it that long? Damn...I'll have to update all my Rezound knowledge.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Have I been out of it that long? Damn...I'll have to update all my Rezound knowledge.
lol... Not really... Just over the last few months the latest CM-based ROMs (like most are) have been having an issue with Amon Ra, it appears to work but flaky things seem to linger, TWRP doesn't seem to have this problem and most people with odd issues reflash with TWRP and it's good to go. Also, CWM has been just been updated recently and seems to work just as well. But it is true that almost every ROM developer for the Rezound on XDA now recommends TWRP recovery.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
lol... Not really... Just over the last few months the latest CM-based ROMs (like most are) have been having an issue with Amon Ra, it appears to work but flaky things seem to linger, TWRP doesn't seem to have this problem and most people with odd issues reflash with TWRP and it's good to go. Also, CWM has been just been updated recently and seems to work just as well. But it is true that almost every ROM developer for the Rezound on XDA now recommends TWRP recovery.

Previously the battery dying and backup/restore issues were the big hang ups for the Rezound. So if those have been resolved with TWRP or CWM then I guess it makes the most sense to move to them since Amon Ra was kinda janky anyway but was the only thing that worked for the longest...we are, after all coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the Rezound....

acejavelin

Reaction score
Previously the battery dying and backup/restore issues were the big hang ups for the Rezound. So if those have been resolved with TWRP or CWM then I guess it makes the most sense to move to them since Amon Ra was kinda janky anyway but was the only thing that worked for the longest...we are, after all coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the Rezound....
Those issues have been resolved in both TWRP and CWM.

pastorfish

Reaction score

Hi all. I'm brand new here. Just signed up. I know this thread is a bit old but I just heard about twrp. I'm s-on, and while I thought I had amon-ra it appears I have cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 on my phone. I'm looking for some directions on the easiest way for me to switch over to twrp. Thanks

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm brand new here. Just signed up. I know this thread is a bit old but I just heard about twrp. I'm s-on, and while I thought I had amon-ra it appears I have cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 on my phone. I'm looking for some directions on the easiest way for me to switch over to twrp. Thanks

Just download the TWRP 2.6.3.0 zip to your phone and flash it with CWM, reboot, start recovery and you have TWRP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

acejavelin

Reaction score
So I just tried this, and the little android keeps falling over dead and saying installation aborted. ???

Really? Then extract the recovery.img file from the zip, place it in your fastboot directory and boot into fastboot and execute:

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

"recovery.img" will need to be replaces with the img filename from the archive.

pastorfish

Reaction score

Really? Then extract the recovery.img file from the zip, place it in your fastboot directory and boot into fastboot and execute:

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

"recovery.img" will need to be replaces with the img filename from the archive.

really hate to sound stupid, but where is my fastboot directory?

Also, does it matter that I had the zip file on the sd card? It wasn't on the external SD, but I can't get to anything other than the SD card for some reason.