1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need help with rooting HTC Rezound

Discussion in 'HTC Rezound' started by LyricWulf, Aug 5, 2013.

1. LyricWulf

LyricWulf New Member

Hi,
    I've tried to root my HTC Rezound with no luck. I installed SU in the past, but I still don't have root access, and I've been using this phone for a while. I tried to re-install SU but I can't find the [Developer Options] menu in CWM Recovery.

The options I have on CWM:
    [reboot system now]
    [install zip from sdcard]
    [install zip from sideload]
    [wipe data/factory reset]
    [wipe cache partition]
    [backup and restore]
    [mounts and storage]
    [advanced]

I have ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.2.3, I have an unlocked bootloader, and I'm running Android 4.0.3 ICS. Please help :( I'm happy to provide more specs, just ask.
  2. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Moderator Premium Member

You really don't want CWM on the Rezound. You want Amon Ra. Check the guide in my sig. The links may be a bit out of date but trust me when I say...don't bother with CWM on this phone.
  3. LyricWulf

LyricWulf New Member

Thank you, I will check out the links as soon as I can.
  4. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

Hate to say this, but amon ra is outdated for the rezound! No active dev recommends it, actually has been the cause of problems for many users wiping and flashing roms as of late, go with twrp or cwm. Both have been recently update in the xda forums. Don't believe me, just read the op for every rom available in original android development :)
    1 person likes this.
  5. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Remember though, you don't need to actually FLASH a custom recovery, all you need to do is "fastboot boot recovery.img", I would recommend TWRP, but CWM should work, except I think with CWM you have to manually flash SuperSU from the SD card, whereas Amon Ra (outdated for current JB ROMs but still works for most purposes) and TWRP have SuperSU embedded in them. Just go to this page: SuperSU Download and download the file, then copy it to the root of your SD card, in CWM (or other recovery) go to Install ZIP from SD Card, then select ZIP file (wording varies by recovery) and select the file you just copied to the SD card and install it... Reboot and you should be good to go!
  6. Bpowder33

Bpowder33 New Member

"Fastboot boot recovery" is an s_on persons best friend for flashing roms!
    1 person likes this.
  7. MrSmith317

Have I been out of it that long? Damn...I'll have to update all my Rezound knowledge.
  8. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

lol... Not really... Just over the last few months the latest CM-based ROMs (like most are) have been having an issue with Amon Ra, it appears to work but flaky things seem to linger, TWRP doesn't seem to have this problem and most people with odd issues reflash with TWRP and it's good to go. Also, CWM has been just been updated recently and seems to work just as well. But it is true that almost every ROM developer for the Rezound on XDA now recommends TWRP recovery.
  9. MrSmith317

Previously the battery dying and backup/restore issues were the big hang ups for the Rezound. So if those have been resolved with TWRP or CWM then I guess it makes the most sense to move to them since Amon Ra was kinda janky anyway but was the only thing that worked for the longest...we are, after all coming up on the 2 year anniversary of the Rezound....
  10. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Those issues have been resolved in both TWRP and CWM.
  11. pastorfish

pastorfish New Member

Hi all. I'm brand new here. Just signed up. I know this thread is a bit old but I just heard about twrp. I'm s-on, and while I thought I had amon-ra it appears I have cwm recovery 6.0.3.1 on my phone. I'm looking for some directions on the easiest way for me to switch over to twrp. Thanks
  12. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Just download the TWRP 2.6.3.0 zip to your phone and flash it with CWM, reboot, start recovery and you have TWRP.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  13. pastorfish

pastorfish New Member

So I just tried this, and the little android keeps falling over dead and saying installation aborted. ???
  14. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Really? Then extract the recovery.img file from the zip, place it in your fastboot directory and boot into fastboot and execute:

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

"recovery.img" will need to be replaces with the img filename from the archive.

15. pastorfish

pastorfish New Member

really hate to sound stupid, but where is my fastboot directory?

Also, does it matter that I had the zip file on the sd card? It wasn't on the external SD, but I can't get to anything other than the SD card for some reason.
  16. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

It shouldn't matter, but if you are already rooted you can always install the latest TWRP with Goo Manager from the Google Play Store.

Also, your fastboot directory is in the same place as adb... Usually the platform-tools directory of adb unless you are using mini-adb.

17. pastorfish

pastorfish New Member

OK. I'll try that. Right now my phone suddenly is telling me its upgrading and optimizing apps. Not sure why. But I'll try Goo Manager next.
  18. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

It will do that anytime cache/dalvik are wiped... Its rebuilding the caches.

19. pastorfish

pastorfish New Member

OK, this is just really getting confusing. I downloaded Goo Manager, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what to do with it. So I went over to ROM Manager (which I already had on my phone) and it says that my current recovery is, in fact, TWRP. But when I tell it to reboot into it, it still reboots into cmd recovery.
  20. acejavelin

acejavelin Member

Open GooManger and press menu key and select "Install OpenRecoveryScript", it will pop up a confirmation window, select Yes. Next it should ask to confirm "openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-vigor.img" and tap Yes. It will then download the file then give it time... It might take a few minutes of nothing appearing to happen but you should get a pop up saying it was installed. Once that is done, reboot recovery from GooManger (you will probably get some "unfortunately xxx has stopped messages, that's normal) and it should reboot into TWRP.

Search tags for this page
fastboot install recovery on lg g2
how do i root my htc rezound

how to root htc rezound

how to root htc rezound 4.0.3
how to root my android rezound phone
how to root my htc rezound

htc rezound root

htc rezound root 2013
rezound root

root htc rezound