I need some help..someone who knows something about wireless networks PLEASE!!

spence19802003

Reaction score
So heres my dilema: Was with t-moblie for 11 years, wanted the droid so I switched. I work in a hospital 7 nights a week, so a cell is important to me!! lol. However, the minute I walk in the door: BOOM. NO FRICKING SERVICE! No one else has Verizon to ask if they get service...did the *228 thing...and I even went and bought a 20.00 cricket phone which gets GREAT service inside! Yea, Cricket! Called tech support, of course they were no help...tried an external antenna, tried a new droid and the only real difference is the call quality on this one is ****! My conversations consist of me repeating myself over and over again bc people cant understand me. So, they said they will send me yet ANOTHER droid, and to see what happens. There are towers literally three miles from I work and every other carrier gets service inside. SOOOO here are my thoughts, and again Im struggling here so please help.

I went and got a cricket USB modem for my laptop...I plug it in, get service good inet service, so can I set up a wi fi network off of my laptop for when Im at work and just tether my phone off of it? If someone knows....please tell me how. I looked through the advanced settings and I know nothing about static IP's and crap! ORRRR The Verizon range extender? 20o bucks but if I can get it to work off of my laptop and cricket usb modem it would b worth it to me because I spend so much time here. They guy at verizon said it can be done, but he doesnt know how. Any suggestions guys?

I love the phone....but DAMN I need service! Thanks in advance...Im so bummed!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Damn that sucks!! i can actually feel your pain :( it's still early ....don't worry someone will be along eventually to give you some input. I'll cross my fingers for ya!! good luck!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So heres my dilema: Was with t-moblie for 11 years, wanted the droid so I switched. I work in a hospital 7 nights a week, so a cell is important to me!! lol. However, the minute I walk in the door: BOOM. NO FRICKING SERVICE! No one else has Verizon to ask if they get service...did the *228 thing...and I even went and bought a 20.00 cricket phone which gets GREAT service inside! Yea, Cricket! Called tech support, of course they were no help...tried an external antenna, tried a new droid and the only real difference is the call quality on this one is ****! My conversations consist of me repeating myself over and over again bc people cant understand me. So, they said they will send me yet ANOTHER droid, and to see what happens. There are towers literally three miles from I work and every other carrier gets service inside. SOOOO here are my thoughts, and again Im struggling here so please help.

I went and got a cricket USB modem for my laptop...I plug it in, get service good inet service, so can I set up a wi fi network off of my laptop for when Im at work and just tether my phone off of it? If someone knows....please tell me how. I looked through the advanced settings and I know nothing about static IP's and crap! ORRRR The Verizon range extender? 20o bucks but if I can get it to work off of my laptop and cricket usb modem it would b worth it to me because I spend so much time here. They guy at verizon said it can be done, but he doesnt know how. Any suggestions guys?

I love the phone....but DAMN I need service! Thanks in advance...Im so bummed!

I don't even know if this would be allowed in a hospital but Verizon does sell signal boosters for problem areas. Here is a link to look at one from CNET: Verizon Wireless Network Extender Cell phone and smart phone accessory reviews - CNET Reviews

Reaction score
Your best bet is a range extendr as linked above. Your laptop can NOT generate a cell signal. It could be used to create an ad hoc wifi network, but all you could get is a wifi data signal. You will not get the voice network used for calls and texts. Combine that with something like skype or maybe google voice or another voice over IP service and you might have a viable option, but your verizon number won't work (it requires cell service).

I don't believe there is a way to link your verizon number to GV, but I've never used it so someone more knowledgable will have to step in and help with that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Also some places actually have signal blockers for cell phone service, so that maybe why you are having some problems.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, if Cricket works inside the hospital, and it's also on a CDMA network, I doubt they're using cell phone blockers. Unfortunately the O.P. may be out of luck using it within the hospital.

OP
S

spence19802003

Reaction score
range extender

yea, that range extender is the 200 dollar thing I was talking about! But the verizon guy said it wouldnt work with my laptop and cricket usb because I wouldnt have an ethernet cable coming in? Or actually he said it could be set up and used, but he didnt know how and it would be hard. The way he explained it is like this: ethernet cable from cable modem into the back of the extender, cable out of that to and into your computer. He said I would have to set up my laptop to be a wifi hot spot or something, or set up a server? I would be okay if I could even text and get texts. Just something to not feel so damned disconnected!!! And I thought about the blocker, but like I said: I have tmobile for 11 years and got great service there and everyone there with att&t and cingular get great service too. And cricket? Its so disappointing to know that a 49.00 phone gets service, yet my DROID doesnt!! keep thinking guys...I gotta do something! Thanks for trying to help me figure this out guys.​

Reaction score
Cricket could be on a different frequency than Verizon. I think there are 4 different CDMA frequencies, but I'm probably wrong. I've also heard of places blocking signal then somehow piping in one certain carrier.

inmate369

Reaction score
i live in hampton roads (va) most of our hospitals have signal blockers

OP
S

spence19802003

Reaction score
dfasdfadsfasf

Yea, but Tmobile has service, Cricket, AT&T, Cingular, Sprint? They all have service too. Im just bummed...I hope someone can help me figure out how to turn to my laptop, with the cricket usb modem into a wi-fi hub or setup a server for that range extender or something. I wonder if that little wi-fi hub Verizon has would pick up signal? I thought since my phone doesnt, it wouldnt either...but maybe it runs off of diff. frequencies or something?