I installed the latest leaked ICS update...here is my story

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Really what you are risking is the hassle of getting back to stock if it turns out the leak is a dead end...that you can't upgrade OTA after it.

Getting back to stock can be an annoying and possibly scary process depending on your level of technical skill. But there are extensive tutorials online that cover all the steps to do it. The process involves S-Off which (from what I understand) has the potential to brick your phone if you do it wrong. I was rooting and Romming on the Droid 1 for a long time before I got this phone though, and I have already rooted this phone once. So I am comfortable with the risk.

But again, it is possible (IMO likely) that you will be able to install OTA updates, as this leak technically IS stock. Last time that was the only thing preventing people from getting OTA. On the last update I was unlocked and rooted but still stock, and I got the OTA update just fine.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
kylecthomas said:
future release will be made available to install the same way though, right?

No, the final official update will be an ota (over the air) update.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

scy1192

Reaction score
strange you only got 2156 with Quadrant on Gingerbread... mine just benched a 2515. Maybe I can expect 3500 on ICS? :biggrin:

**Ad on bottom may be nsfw**
2012-05-10 16.25.24.jpg

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Keep in mind...mine was completely stock. No overclcocking...no custom anything.

kylecthomas

Reaction score
No, the final official update will be an ota (over the air) update.

i meant will they release the official rom to download (in case the ota doesn't work)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
i meant will they release the official rom to download (in case the ota doesn't work)

Probably. Someone usually posts a rooted version on stock firmware as a rom. If you have a higher version of firmware installed though, or are not rooted it's going to be an involved process to get back to official though. Hopefully the official release of ICS will have a higher version than the leaks. Correct me if I am wrong though people.

HowardZ

Reaction score
is there any reason to wait for the OTA update instead of installing this?

I think the answer is Yes - at least in my opinion.

Eventually this year we will get the official ICS from Verizon/HTC.
We won't get any more updates from Verizon for at least a year - and maybe after the rezound is no longer produced, never another update.

This official ICS update from Verizon/HTC will soon become the "baseline" - it will become a requirement for every ROM.
So, this will become something everyone will want to make a nandroid backup to take a snapshot before ROMing.

Every ROM will only be compatible with the "firmware" that is installed by the Verizon/HTC official ICS update.
Verizon ICS will become the required starting point for every ROM.

Soon developers and others will be sick of helping people who aren't S-off to do their more complicated ROM installs, and those with S-ON will be left to figure out what to do on their own. I already see this in the pokemon ROM discussions that the majority of the posts are for S-ON people who can't figure out how to do the more complicated S-ON ROM install.

The future requirements will be:
You want to ROM - then you must be Htcdev unlocked, rooted, then S-off, and be on the official Verizon/HTC ICS.

You must demand an explanation of exactly what you will need to do to "UNDO" every change you make to your Rezound. If there is no way back - don't do it. If it sounds complicated - don't do it. If it sounds like a pain - don't do it.

I have taken this approach with every change:
Htcdev unlocked - and know how to relock it.
rooted - know how to unroot.
S-OFF - know you to S-ON.
jBear hboot - have the stock hboot handy, and know how to install it.

If you install any of the ICS Leaks - yes, if you have S-OFF you can go back to GB via a RUU exe file, and then restore your GB nandroid backup with all your settings and applications. Then you will be ready for the official Verizon/HTC ICS update. Is it fast easy and a fun thing to do? No.

My two cents,

Howard

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I think I'd be a lot more concerned about it if the stock Rezound experience was a bad one...but it really isnt. I simply don't have as much a reason to root and rom the Rezound as I did the Droid 1.

kylecthomas

Reaction score
thanks for the input Howard. I think i will continue to wait. I dont want any trouble if they every come out with CM9 for this thing :)

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I took the leak and I really like it so far. It is really is smooth.

HowardZ

Reaction score
thanks for the input Howard. I think i will continue to wait. I dont want any trouble if they every come out with CM9 for this thing :)

I am tempted to use the ICS leak and then try the pokemon ROM, as it sounds very good.

My Droid-X has AOKP (Kang group's AOSP), but that phone isnt used anymore.
There are some beautiful ROMs out there.

But, I am afraid it will be alot of work to go back to stock for some future ICS OTA update.
In general I have been finding that nothing I have done to the Rezound has been quick and easy.
Htcdev unlock took me several days (problems on their website).
S-OFF took me eight hours (I didn't hold the paperclip perfectly straight in the #1 hole).

I'm going to wait for the ICS OTA.

Howard

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea i agree. S off took me like 8hrs too. It was rough. Its probably easier now that all the tricks are posted in the s off thread. S off is worth though as long as people are careful with things after they achieve it.

sent from my galaxy tab 2