OTA Update Success! With Root/DeBloat - Here's my story

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I did not have to do a factory reset, because I had saved all the bloat in a separate folder for just this occasion. I simply restored all the bloat and then followed this process:

Step 1:
Make sure ALL bloat is restored to the System/apps folder

Step 2:
Go to Settings -> Software Update and check for updates (Do this even if you have already downloaded before). If it prompts you to download the update, do so. It is 52 Megs I believe.

Step 3:
In the same menu got to Status. Yes, you will get an info screen with no prompt...let it display for a bit. After about 5 or 10 minutes you will get a prompt to apply the update.

Step 4:
The phone will reboot and the update will apply. It will reboot 2 or 3 times, applying updates each time. Eventually, it will reboot to your main screen normally. For me this process took about 15 minutes or so.

I now have the 5 bars. I got no errors. It looks like it took.

Apparently I did lose root. Root Explorer still works...I can view forbidden folders (and copy!) but I have no write access anymore. The "R/W" button is still there, but it no longer does anything. Looks like I will need to re-root.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Also...you can download the update more than once. Even after I applied it, it is still allowing me to download again if I want in the Software Update screen.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
If you did not save all your bloat when you first debloated, I think a factory reset will restore it. I am guessing that it will also re-lock you in addition to unrooting you though.

Insidious

Reaction score
This is awesome!

Sent from my HTC Rezound.
Rooted, unlocked, and ready to rock!

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Ran two benchmarks :

Antutu - 5850

Quadrant - 2375

Both are the best I have seen on my phone so far...and this is WITH bloat.

esheesle

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, finally got updated thanks to this. Had suspicions it was the debloating and sure enough you confirmed with your post.

You can save root using OTA Rootkeeper as well(worked great for me).

jeffe65

Reaction score
I re-ran CleanTool, re-bloated, checked to be sure it was there, and when I go to Status I get the info screen telling me about the update, and an "OK". I tap OK, nothing happens. I leave it sit with the info screen up for 20 min., nothing happens. I try to re-run the download, but it says no new software available. Rebooted a couple of times, no change. I do have Bloat though. :blink:

Anybody else having this? I really don't want to do a factory reset; the phone has been running fine. I did get the boot-loop issue, but that was when I had set it to CDMA only with FastBoot off; back to 4G and all is rosy.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I re-ran CleanTool, re-bloated, checked to be sure it was there, and when I go to Status I get the info screen telling me about the update, and an "OK". I tap OK, nothing happens.
Do not tap anything. Just let it sit there.

On mine I had to let it sit there for like 10 minutes. It does not come up quickly. Make sure the "status" window stays open...do not press "OK".

Last edited:

jeffe65

Reaction score
After several hours, it didn't come up by itself. I tapped the "New Software" button, and lo and behold, there it was! Finally! I now have 5 bars; thanks. I'm going to wait a bit before de-bloating again, to make sure things work.

I can't seem to start Launcher Pro, it's not in the app tray, but is in the Applications list in Settings.

esheesle

Reaction score
Go to htc sense under applications and tell it to clear defaults. Then you can chose launcherpro again

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I did the update. Seems I've now lost wifi (was rooted, but completely stock). Guess I will have to flash a nandroid back-up and try again.

OP
JeffDenver

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Well, I did the update. Seems I've now lost wifi (was rooted, but completely stock). Guess I will have to flash a nandroid back-up and try again.

I lost wifi as well...all I had to do was reconnect though. The service itself still worked. It just forgot my settings.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I lost wifi as well...all I had to do was reconnect though. The service itself still worked. It just forgot my settings.

No, mine won't even let me turn wifi on. It shows "error" under the setting to turn wifi on.

thurst0n

Reaction score
So this leads me to the question? Which bloat is it that lets the update go through? I highly doubt it's requiring all of them..