I got a software update!

helron

Reaction score
This is my next test. Read various XDA suggestions and looked here Battery consumption between GSM (2G) mode and WCDMA (3G) mode | The 8th Voyager
Going to try .

Update
Tried..not working. Was hoping for 2g for phone and Wifi for data when indoors.
2G on Razr totally killed all phone use.

Took phone off full charge prior to above setting change, 100 to 90!! Doing nothing but changing setting. Sucks?
Now set to CMDA 1x. Great signal. Why?
Will leave on CMDA all day, use wifi in house and see what happens.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I am having battery issues as well. Before Jelly Bean, I was down to 75 % or so after 20 hours. Now, I am in the 50's%. I saw in the previous posts comments about the kernal, Android OS. This is my biggest drain as well. I have cleared the Cache multiple times, as well as a calibration of the battery monitor. It seems as though I had the same issue when I initially upgraded to ICS and it settled down after awhile. I saw several comments about changed settings. I haven't noticed any that were out of whack. Any specific settings?

helron

Reaction score
Adam, run GSAM Battery tracker. Gives u a good read out of battery use. My display is an issue, and I've lessened it to lapprox. 1/3 of stating. How can it be a drain? I also suspect a problem With radio signal and have switched to CMDA while indoors w wifi. Also shut off Data Usage When home because on wifi. Will monitor these settings...

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Thank you helron, but GSAM has been my friend for quite some time. The only categories out of whack is that darn kernal and the maps. After the upgrade, I turned on my GPS just to see if the issues I had with ICS and GPS always hanging up was still present. I'm wondering if that played a part. I turned off GPS this morning so I can see if that is part of the problem. I'm thinking most of my issue is the GPS and Google now working my maps. Just a guess.. All in all, the drain hasn't been a game ender, just a game changer...

helron

Reaction score
Adam, I just can't understand why the Kernel/Android OS causes severe battery drain either. Do u show ILS taking lots of juice? I do.
Also, Google NOW, and GPS are battery devils on my phone. But, what's the point of JB OTA if not for Google Now. And, GN needs GPS! I feel like Imam chasing my tail.LOL

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Did a FDR a few days ago and in the last couple days my Maxx has been getting quite warm and the battery has been draining faster. Was scratching my head as to why when I got an email telling me that my dropbox had reached capacity. Was also having major lag on my home network.

As it turns out, dropbox decided to re-upload all 2700 photos and videos (5 GB in all). Fortunately it was set to upload over wifi only.

So, cloud services like that are something to consider when battery drain is excessive.

David

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
You are right on the money helron. Chasing our tails is exactly the right terminology. Mine seems to be settling down since taking GPS off line. You are absolutely correct though. Google Now is location based, so I'm a little curious if I am going the right route here.... Ha!! I was seeing about a 20% difference on my battery at the end of the day, so it's not like I can't get through a day with GPS on. Instead of 72% or so, I am seeing 52% or so.. I really do remember ICS taking a while to settle. But settle it did, so I will see how it shakes out. Thank you YellowJacket. I will see if I have something going nutty in the cloud.

helron

Reaction score
Hmm? The only thing in the cloud my head! LOL I don't use any cloud services. However I was hunting around the forums and found this just very very interesting. Here it is:
As an ex (retired) Qualcomm and Verizon "techie", I can tell you that signal strength has a GREAT DEAL to do with battery life. CDMA phones are always in closed loop power control, and always know their exact distance from the cell towers that they interact with, and using this information, they set their power output accordingly. IOW, the further from the tower, the more power the phone's radio has to produce to ensure a good signal always reaches the tower.
And even though your phone may be sitting idle, seemingly doing nothing, the phone and cell system are always in communication with each other for many reasons, all cell related. That's why, even if you have everything else turned off or blocked, the battery will still drain rapidly just sitting around. It becomes even worse in low signal areas (2 bars or less).And of course it goes without saying that actually using the phone in low signal areas will eat your battery alive.

Droid Razr via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Well I guess I was confused about which phone had cloud interaction... Wrong phone. I could go along with the signal, except the towers haven't changed locations since the update. I am locked into 3g except when on wifi at home. I will keep at it.

yaterml

Reaction score
Have tried above and had no,luck. However, I do us SA to deactivate above overnight. If I didn't, I would have a dead battery.
Also, battery drains from 100 to 90 too quickly, and 80 to 70.
When battery reached 70 it lakes much more time to get to 50 and less etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

With staggered discharge curves like that it sounds like you have a battery suffering from Voltage Depression. You battery has diminished capacity. It acts like you have viable battery available but when those cells start being drained they just dissipate.

helron

Reaction score
Have tried above and had no,luck. However, I do us SA to deactivate above overnight. If I didn't, I would have a dead battery.
Also, battery drains from 100 to 90 too quickly, and 80 to 70.
When battery reached 70 it lakes much more time to get to 50 and less etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

With staggered discharge curves like that it sounds like you have a battery suffering from Voltage Depression. You battery has diminished capacity. It acts like you have viable battery available but when those cells start being drained they just dissipate.

Do u think Vz would replace battery?
Today is worse..look at this snapshot below..
Droid Razr via Tapatalk

yaterml

Reaction score

Do u think Vz would replace battery?
Today is worse..look at this snapshot below..
Droid Razr via Tapatalk

As an ex-Verizon Tech wouldn't you know what their warranty policy is? It's worth a shot but they will probably have you do a FDR and may charge you a deductible depending on how your account is set up.

helron

Reaction score
Yaterml,
I guess I failed to clearly state my Q. I know VZ's policy, and that I can bring phone to VZ, for replacement, but was wondering if anyone did this recently and was satisfied w phone. My phone was replaced after a month of purchase with a refurb. That was 13 mo. ago. I since then, I've done a few FDRs and all was somewhat better then orig. phone. After ICS upgrade phone was great. However, JB is killing me. I am running recalibration now. I need to to this monthly. Like my Razr, but ...

yaterml

Reaction score
Yaterml,
I guess I failed to clearly state my Q. I know VZ's policy, and that I can bring phone to VZ, for replacement, but was wondering if anyone did this recently and was satisfied w phone. My phone was replaced after a month of purchase with a refurb. That was 13 mo. ago. I since then, I've done a few FDRs and all was somewhat better then orig. phone. After ICS upgrade phone was great. However, JB is killing me. I am running recalibration now. I need to to this monthly. Like my Razr, but ...

Cert replacement phones usually suck. Had a few Razr's and a boat load of Bionic they all sucked horribly. Bad battery life, broken headphone jack.