I got a software update!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Put simply, the harder the phone has to work to "shake hands" with the towers...the worse your battery life will be...

finally rooted...always MAXXIMIZED..

yaterml

Reaction score
Read this in another thread: Battery drain

OP is LLOYDSTRANS...
If you're in a weak signal area (1 or 2 bars) your battery will be drained quicker. 4G has nothing to do with it.
Modern phones use a farily sophistiated closed loop power control system, and they are in constant communications with the cell system in the background. Checking in with the system every few hundred miliseconds.
So even if you never touched your phone all day, you'd see quicker battery drain in a weak signal aren than you would if you had a good strong signal. Oh, BTW, I'm a retired Verizon cell phone repair tech.
Sent using Tapatalk

Yes and No
A weak connection will drain a battery
A 4G connection will drain faster than Wifi or 3G connection because of the required power for the 4G antenna

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I will add that my battery life is poor like ics 211 on jb....hopefully an update will fix it...

finally rooted...always MAXXIMIZED..

helron

Reaction score
WE all agree that 4g requires more Juice, but I am most likely battling 2issues:
1. Diminishd battery after ICS with new JB OTA ICS often gave me 30 hours plus, using same usage. And 4g was a battery drainer. However, 3G was not.
2. Weak cell signals' that I will monitor as I travel to and fro, in and around home, too.
Running 4G KILLS my battery! I run 3G most if the day. Why? It beats not having any data connection, and at least I still have battery life.
I'm not too happy about my Razr anymore.

yaterml

Reaction score
WE all agree that 4g requires more Juice, but I am most likely battling 2issues:
1. Diminishd battery after ICS with new JB OTA ICS often gave me 30 hours plus, using same usage. And 4g was a battery drainer. However, 3G was not.
2. Weak cell signals' that I will monitor as I travel to and fro, in and around home, too.
Running 4G KILLS my battery! I run 3G most if the day. Why? It beats not having any data connection, and at least I still have battery life.
I'm not too happy about my Razr anymore.

Really use smart actions
Trigger Screen Off
Not Charging
Action
Turn of
GPS
DATA SYNC
DATA
any thing else you don't use.

helron

Reaction score
It's possible that the update may have resulted in some changes in your settings or conflicts with some apps. I would go through all of your settings and use GSam Battery Monitor to identify Apps that might be running and taking too much juice. Also, try doing a hard reset by holding down the power button and the down volume rocker at the same time for 10 seconds, which is like a battery pull and will reboot the phone.

Thanks! Have tried suggestion above. Actually, I noticed the drain when I went to .215 Did FDR left phone basically app free. Then recalibrated battery every few weeks and things got better .
Aftr JB OTA, did FDR, and only run few apps. Only active push is Gmail. The ANDROID OS is major drain as is Display. Like, I said earlier, if my screen was any darker I'd need a flashlight. LOL
Very Disappointed.

Sent using Tapatalk

helron

Reaction score
Really use smart actions
Trigger Screen Off
Not Charging
Action
Turn of
GPS
DATA SYNC
DATA
any thing else you don't use.

Have tried above and had no,luck. However, I do us SA to deactivate above overnight. If I didn't, I would have a dead battery.
Also, battery drains from 100 to 90 too quickly, and 80 to 70.
When battery reached 70 it lakes much more time to get to 50 and less etc.

Sent using Tapatalk

helron

Reaction score
Pls suggest a good app that can help me track my radio signal. Did some poking around, but value opinion of users here.

2razrmaxx

Reaction score
I used open signal...but the last update was problematic for me. It might be good for you. Its in the play store

deduct

Reaction score
Have you guys tried to wipe cache and dalvik? Or factory reset. After my wife updated to jb her battery life was horrible. I started with a cache wipe and it has improved to about the same she was getting on ICS. I'm assuming a factory reset would help even more after updating to jb.

jp233

Reaction score
Yeah, 4G data really drains the battery. I use the Smart Actions during the day to conserve the battery, and use WiFi at home (i.e. turning off the data connection). The battery is now totally acceptable to me. I was on the brink of breaking down and buying a Maxx.

helron, how many hours are you getting on a full charge?

I also have poor cell coverage in my house, but don't feel it drains the battery too bad as using WiFi for data really turns up the battery life vs. all day at work on 4G.

Luckily, I have no shortage of micro USB chargers in all formats so, a charger is never far away.... it's not like I go have picnic's in the woods or something :)

helron

Reaction score
Have you guys tried to wipe cache and dalvik? Or factory reset. After my wife updated to jb her battery life was horrible. I started with a cache wipe and it has improved to about the same she was getting on ICS. I'm assuming a factory reset would help even more after updating to jb.

May try another FDR. Not rooted so unable to do Davlik. Gonna try running on 2g for the heck if it to compare drainage first. Rather that FDR again!

deduct

Reaction score
May try another FDR. Not rooted so unable to do Davlik. Gonna try running on 2g for the heck if it to compare drainage first. Rather that FDR again!

I have not rooted wife's since she updated to jb yet. I went into recovery and wiped cache. I use safe strap 3.11 on my bionic so I rarely touch recovery mode. I can't remember if you can wipe dalvik in recovery or not.

Last edited: