I found a good video converter for the Droid...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Star Trek, Transformers 2 and a few others have a more severe DVD protection system than others. This protection system (Made by Sony, called ARCCOSS) usually creates fake tracks (up to 99) on the DVD, and in some cases scrambles the scene order to trick DVD conversion tools such as DVD Catalyst. These DVDs also have issues on some stand-alone DVD players as well.
Installing the (free) DVD Catalyst Boosterpack can make some of these DVDs work, but the best way is to install a trial version of AnyDVD or to rip the problematic DVD to your harddisk with dvdfab

Only a very small percentage of DVDs have these issues.

Worked like a charm :icon_ banana:

mjs31

Reaction score
HandBrake has major problems. Also, I really hope your average video bitrate is not "12000".
]

Hmmm.. I have Star trek, transformers 2 and GI joe all done with handbrake on my phone. Just last night I showed 5 people how good the Droid was. I jumped ahead 1 hour, back 15 minutes, rewound several times to show different scenes and every time....not one bit out of sync. Sorry...of all my tests I have not found no other program that would do that. Why would I ever set it to 12000? Did I put that somewhere?....if so...I meant 1200. Either way...I could care less if anyone uses Handbrake or not...only trying to help. I have done the tests and assuming the Droids are similar...the results speak for themselves. So give it a break bud.....

Fact is...many have said they have out of sync....I did as well with the ones I mentioned at all different settings. Only one that worked is Handbrake which I have never heard of 4 days ago. So...keep struggling...

Last edited:

mjs31

Reaction score
HandBrake has major problems. Also, I really hope your average video bitrate is not "12000".

Ok...I see you werent referring to me, but what major problems. It is the only consistent converter I have found to eliminate the out of sync issue with ff and rw. Yes...to the other person....12000? Even then....1200 can be considered overkill for a phone.

For those curious about Handbrake...here is what I prefer, but other options work well.

Select Iphone Legacy as your preset

Picture settings tab -

In automatic mode...take away the width and height (yep leave them blank). It is actually pretty nice turn out for this phone with the high tech movies I have done and showed. I tried it with setting to match the phone etc and this is the best and easiest.

Anamorphic - none

Rest of first page leave as is.

Under video tab

H.264 (x264)
Framerate (FPS) - same as source (I see people making the mistake of trying to set this. Big mistake...keep it as the source)

Target size - blank

Avg Bitrate - 1200 (although I did not see much difference at 800. It is a phone....you are not going to see a huge difference and the lower br will save space if you need to)

audo & subtitles tab

Source - automatic; AAC; stereo; 48; 160

That is really it....every title I have done has came out perfect and no issues with out of sync no matter how much you FF or rewind.

Again...I could care less if you use Handbrake or not. Never heard of it until my many attempts using other converters led to out of sync after any FF/RW. Reading many forums....they all lead to hand brake. To me...it works perfect and I showed 5 coworkers several videos last night with complete confidence that I would not be embarrassed about the complete out of sync video and sound when I was jumping around.

HB may have issues, but these settings sure dont and that is ALL I care about. All done with my search for a converter...

Anyone wanting to watch complete in sync transformers 2, GI Joe or Star Trek...I will have a special viewing tonight at 8pm :icon_ banana: Kidding of course.

Good luck to all in your search...

IMDWALRUS

Reaction score
Can someone help me out? What are the EXACT Handbrake settings you're using to encode videos for the Droid? I am continuously having issues with Video settings. I get Audio, but no picture. Help for a Noob?

dripdroid

Reaction score
mjs31 thanks for the post

i am trying to follow your recommeded settings but i don't have the option to set W/H to blank, it only goes to 64x64. Any idea what i am doing wrong?

R

racklefratz

I've tried tons of combinations today to get the thing to playback smoothly at a high resolution, but failed. anything greater than 720x423 at 15fps yields choppy footage. It's not smooth flowing.

I don't know anything about iPod or any of that stuff, but I re-rendered an mpeg2 I already had to mpeg4, and got good results at 720 X 480 res with 29.97 fps, video 1584kbps, audio 224kbps. Plays fine on my Droid.

http://www.gvtc.com/~flyboy/droidh2h.mp4

Technoman

Reaction score
The DVD Catalyst 3.84 program has a preset for the DROID for both standard and HQ. Just downloaded and am trying my first movie.

OP
T

tc1

Reaction score
Even better update...very good software...I've been using it since my winmo days when it was called "pqdvd" or something like that.

Best I have tried by far and I have tried them all, and for 10 bucks(with free updates) its just nuts to not buy it.

D

dvdcatalyst

Even better update...very good software...I've been using it since my winmo days when it was called "pqdvd" or something like that.

Best I have tried by far and I have tried them all, and for 10 bucks(with free updates) its just nuts to not buy it.

Thanks tc1, pqdvd is actually a "competitor".

Back in the days, DVD Catalyst was called "PocketDVD", and most competitor apps were called "Pocket DVD Something", which resulted in quite a bit of confusion. When PocketDVD 2.0 won a major PocketPC Award, I received so many support emails from people who were having problems with my competitor products, I decided for the next release to make sure there could be no confusion. The name change, as well as the cat-eyes.

OP
T

tc1

Reaction score
That's right, I remember now....when I would try to find "PocketDVD" I kept ending up at the "PQdvd" website and knew that wasn't the right one.

Good Idea on the name change..I remember searching for your software and getting bombarded with sound alikes.

D

dvdcatalyst

That's right, I remember now....when I would try to find "PocketDVD" I kept ending up at the "PQdvd" website and knew that wasn't the right one.

Good Idea on the name change..I remember searching for your software and getting bombarded with sound alikes.

Yep, my biggest problem, not easy to find. It doesnt help that my dvdcatalyst.com domain got stolen last year either. look on the about page on tools4movies.com for details on that.

KuddlKat

Reaction score
MediaCoder

I wanted to put MediaCoder out there as another free alternative. MediaCoder iPhone/iPod Edition They have a lot of ads disguised as site links, so exercise careful clicking.

I've used MediaCoder (free) for a long time and the iPod/phone version seems to convert movies ok (did Ironman, Tom & Jerry collection and other miscellaneous videos), but limits max resolution to 640x480. They come out with updates all the time, so I'm sure they'll eventually have one for the Droid's resolution.

I tried Handbrake but I don't think I have the settings right since it didn't play. I'll go back through the settings that others have listed in this thread and see if I can get it working.

In the meantime, thank you all for taking the time to put out such helpful information. The phone is great by itself, but the stuff I've learned from the forums makes it even better.

cwright

Reaction score
Star Trek, Transformers 2 and a few others have a more severe DVD protection system than others. This protection system (Made by Sony, called ARCCOSS) usually creates fake tracks (up to 99) on the DVD, and in some cases scrambles the scene order to trick DVD conversion tools such as DVD Catalyst. These DVDs also have issues on some stand-alone DVD players as well.
Installing the (free) DVD Catalyst Boosterpack can make some of these DVDs work, but the best way is to install a trial version of AnyDVD or to rip the problematic DVD to your harddisk with dvdfab

Only a very small percentage of DVDs have these issues.

Thanks for posting information here.... Just purchased and downloaded!