DVD Catalyst 3 problems

kestrel55

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone experiencing stuttering in the picture when viewing on the Droid? The audio is seamless but the picture will often freeze momentarily. I tried these settings for HQ quality as suggested on the website and on an earlier thread:

Settings I am using for DVD Catalyst 3:
Verizon Droid HQ preset
Screen: 848x480
Video: 1600 kbps
1 pass encode
Audio: 160 stereo
Format: iPod H264 HQ

I even tried the same settings with the default smaller screen size (I forgot the size) as represented on the Droid template on the program.

I even killed all running apps thinking that things would process more quickly but no luck. Thanks.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
What DVD did you rip? If it's a newer one, You might need to run AnyDVD also to bypass the protection....

CDB

Reaction score
1600kbps using h264 is a bit much for the Droid to handle. Try dropping it back to 1100-1200kbps.

aisvo

Reaction score
I've used 800Kbps~1000Kbps bitrate, and they should look HQ on the droid. Using 1600Kbps for bitrate will let those extra details redundant. U won't see much details on a small screen.

OP
K

kestrel55

Reaction score
I just bought the entire series of 'The Wire'...but other DVDs have stuttered as well. I will try and reduce the bitrate tonight and see what happens!

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi,

Anyone experiencing stuttering in the picture when viewing on the Droid? The audio is seamless but the picture will often freeze momentarily. I tried these settings for HQ quality as suggested on the website and on an earlier thread:

Settings I am using for DVD Catalyst 3:
Verizon Droid HQ preset
Video: 1600 kbps
1 pass encode

I even tried the same settings with the default smaller screen size (I forgot the size) as represented on the Droid template on the program.

I even killed all running apps thinking that things would process more quickly but no luck. Thanks.

Your video quality is too high. Have you tried the default settings in DVD Catalyst? they provide a good quality video as well (and at a reasonable filesize)
You can also email me directly, I do visit these forums, but not continiously. My response time by email is usually near instant.

OP
K

kestrel55

Reaction score
Enoded at 1000 kbs last night....still some stuttering but not as bad as before. I'm confused because on the developers website they say that 1600 kbs can be used. I'm a stickler for quality and always try to squeeze the most out of everything. I'll notch it down to 800 tonight. the good thing is that I didn't notice any decrease in image quality between 1600 kbs and 1000 kbs.

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm confused because on the developers website they say that 1600 kbs can be used.

The specifications companies post for their phones usually indicate a total bitrate. So if you are using 160kbps for audio, it would leave you with 1440 kbps for the video.

If you still have sturrer-issues at the 1000kbps quality setting, try to make sure there are no other programs active on the phone. A soft-reset should help as well.

Reaction score
Ive had some problems with some blu ray mkv's not converting...transformers, GI Joe, ... I think its a sound issue. Anybody else have any issues with these? Ive been using makemkv and dvd cataylst 3

OP
K

kestrel55

Reaction score
The 2.0.1 update has solved all of the stuttering and freezing issues!!

JTAC

Reaction score
The update did fix that on my friend's Droid, but those are the settings I used before I manually updated my phone. The only program I have experienced stuttering with is HandBrake.

mack38

Reaction score
Hi I'm having some playback issues for a dvd on my Droid using DVD Catalyst 3....the file transferred fine...but there are some squiggly stutter lines on the right half of the screen.

These are the settings I used....any suggestions? Thanks!

Verizon Droid HQ preset
Video: 1000 kbps
1 pass encode

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi I'm having some playback issues for a dvd on my Droid using DVD Catalyst 3....the file transferred fine...but there are some squiggly stutter lines on the right half of the screen.

Verizon Droid HQ preset
1 pass encode

Hi mack38,

Is it just one file, or are all your files experiencing this?
And when you try and play the file on your computer, does it have the same problem?
The file should play fine in Quicktime or VLC on your computer.

mack38

Reaction score

Verizon Droid HQ preset
1 pass encode

Hi mack38,

Is it just one file, or are all your files experiencing this?
And when you try and play the file on your computer, does it have the same problem?
The file should play fine in Quicktime or VLC on your computer.
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply! I believe the error was on my part. I changed one of the cropping settings and somehow changed a rotate option....??? It was only one file so I reconverted the DVD again and it is perfect now.
GREAT program....thanks again.