Program to convert any type of video to Droid format.

rda990

Reaction score
If i search im sure i wont find anything since forums search option is a joke on every forum...anyways what program can take in any (or the most) options of video format and convert it to the Droid format? For Windows BTW. (DVD catalyst is for DVD only correct?)

D

dvdcatalyst

As mentioned in the faq, as well as a few other posts on this forum, do the files play in sync when you play them on your computer using Quicktime or VLC (not Windows Media Player, that does have sync issues)

If the file plays fine on your computer, but has sync issues on the Droid, try a soft-reset of your Droid (battery pull). This usually fixes sync issues.

As for the 20%, it used to be 7 full days, however, the tools I used for expiration was flagged by virus scanners such as McAffee and Symantec, so I had to come up with a different method.
Similar programs use a limit of 5 minutes, which doesnt give you any idea. 20% on a 2 hour movie is still 25 minutes.

KB_Droid

Reaction score
I used AVC (Any Video Converter) yesterday and it's pretty easy to use. I also DL'd HandBrake but have not installed it yet.

My question is (if anyone knows the answer) what Framerate, Resolution, etc is the best to use for the Droid. Obviously I want the most impressive quality and am not concerned about the file size. Maybe I can keep searching for the answer as this is only my 2nd post, but if it's an easy answer, please let me know.

--KB_Droid

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ImTOO - rip DVDs and CDs, and convert any format...

D

dvdcatalyst

I used AVC (Any Video Converter) yesterday and it's pretty easy to use. I also DL'd HandBrake but have not installed it yet.

My question is (if anyone knows the answer) what Framerate, Resolution, etc is the best to use for the Droid. Obviously I want the most impressive quality and am not concerned about the file size. Maybe I can keep searching for the answer as this is only my 2nd post, but if it's an easy answer, please let me know.

--KB_Droid

854x480, 30 fps, 1500Kbps H264 video, 160Kbps AAC audio

Samples:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

KB_Droid

Reaction score
I'm now converting Rambo 4 with the following attributes:

1080 x 720 Framesize
512 Video Bitrate
30 FPS

...just to see what happens.

Also wanted to mention that I am interested in DVD Catalyst 3 as I read about it yesterday. Now that you've given me some settings to try I cant wait until Friday when i get paid and can get your software instead. I also see the trailers you posted in your other thread and am excited to see those as well.

This is so awesome!!

KB_Droid

D

dvdcatalyst

I'm now converting Rambo 4 with the following attributes:

1080 x 720 Framesize
512 Video Bitrate
30 FPS

...just to see what happens.

<Spoiler> If the video is actually that resolution, at 512kbps, the quality would not be the greatest. I also dont know if the Droid would play it. If it does, it will have to down-scale the video, which will also not really benefit playback smoothness.

Also wanted to mention that I am interested in DVD Catalyst 3 as I read about it yesterday. Now that you've given me some settings to try I cant wait until Friday when i get paid and can get your software instead. I also see the trailers you posted in your other thread and am excited to see those as well.

This is so awesome!!

KB_Droid

You can use the trial version to run a few test clips. It converts 20% (25 minutes of a 2hr movie) of each item, and while not the full movie, it does give you a good portion to get an idea of the quality and filesize (just multiply by 5)

faxman75

Reaction score

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

--KB_Droid

Samples:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

That would be the ideal resolution but that doesn't mean take any movie and smooosh it into that resolution unless you want tall skinny people or short fat ones maybe. I tend to leave the resolution alone. As for framerates there isn't much sense in setting it higher than what you already have in the original. If you're looking to reduce file sizes then try the original and one step down and see if you can tell the difference. As always, the original material makes a big difference in what you end up with.

D

dvdcatalyst

--KB_Droid

Samples:

That would be the ideal resolution but that doesn't mean take any movie and smooosh it into that resolution unless you want tall skinny people or short fat ones maybe. I tend to leave the resolution alone. As for framerates there isn't much sense in setting it higher than what you already have in the original. If you're looking to reduce file sizes then try the original and one step down and see if you can tell the difference. As always, the original material makes a big difference in what you end up with.

The trailer sources are the HD 720p (some 1080) versions from Apple's trailer website, so since the original video resolution is higher than what the Droid has, the resolution is just reduced.

As for the framerate and the resolution in general, it depends on the conversion tool you use on how the settings are used. Some conversion tools just use the selected screen size and scale it upwards or downwards, depending on the source and the selected settings, while other tools (DVD Catalyst, Handbrake) only modify the resolution if the resolution of the source is higher than the desired screen resolution, unless you specifically enable upscaling in the settings.

For framerate it works in a similar manner. Only if the desired framerate is lower than the source framerate is it modified, otherwise the original framerate is used for the conversion.

DVD Catalyst