I don't want to slide to answer a call or unlock phone

tranz

Reaction score
I was trying to help and allow for just another possibility. People do enter stuff into the wrong forums accidentally ya know. I have!
:icon_eek:

I'd say you've got a setting wrong if you have to hit the power button when you get a call or a text. Like I said, I've never had to, except possibly if I had a buggy app crashing at the time or something, but never that I can remember. And that's on my A855 "droid", not rooted, only Verizon OTA updates. I do run an app called "missed call", and another: "App Alarm Lite". I've used "native" SMS and Handcent. Never have to hit the power button. The droid display turns on, lights up, ringtone plays, vibrator vibes, and I swipe it, or enter a reply SMS and tap "send".

you're darn right about it being nice to have an option or setting though.

stark23x

Reaction score
I'd say you've got a setting wrong if you have to hit the power button when you get a call or a text. Like I said, I've never had to.

I'd love to know how this is possible. I have a stock phone as well, and this is what happens for me:

1. Screen times out like normally, say because the phone is sitting on my desk for 25 minutes.
2. Notification goes off that I have an SMS. LED blinks but the screen does NOT come active. It remains darkened and unresponsive.
3. I hit the power button and the slide lock screen is visible. I have to swipe to unlock or I don't get to read my text.
4. I have to hit the messaging icon to open messaging.

So worse than Joeyvee, I have three steps just to read a text. On my old phone the screen would light up and the text would be displayed over anything else and I could then dismiss it or just let the screen time out and deal with it later. Now I have all these steps involved in order to get the information to my eyeballs.

Seems like a step backward for such an amazing (and complex) phone. A sequence that was designed by engineers and not someone thinking about how real people use their phones.

So how is yours set up that makes it act differently? And before anyone says it, I know I can eliminate the lock with MyLock. This is more about getting the screen to come on by itself upon receipt of a text. Eliminating even that step would make it a bit better.

samorsita

Reaction score
i use the screen mode widget.. either push top button or camera button on right side to open.. or you can just leave screen on and awake.. i love it..

kosmo96

Reaction score
Mine works exactly as stated above: 3 steps-power button, unlock slider, and pull down notifications. Looking forward to the best solution.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
People will complain about anything lol

The slide is there, likely to avoid accidentally answering a call or unlocking the phone by unintentionally, thus producing phantom actions. As people have stated, you shouldn't necessarily be talking and answering calls while driving but wake up, it's a new generation, we all do it. How hard is it to glance down at your phone, put your thumb on the button, and drag it over to the right? If your coordination is so bad you can't do that without looking you have bigger problems.

As for the slide unlock complaint, again, it's there as a safety measure so that phantom actions don't occur. Also, I don't know about the rest of you, and I'm not guilty of anything (usually :) ), but I still don't want people reading my text messages. If I get a text message while my phone isn't on me, the green light flashes and the screen stays off; if someone picks up my phone they have to press the power button, then they have to figure out my unlock pattern. What if it's my girlfriend telling me...well, something that's no one's business but mine? What if I just don't want someone playing with my phone period? Droid or not, things get pretty boring stuck at the unlock screen, so they'll probably just put it down.

As said previously, as far as I'm concerned, still waiting on a more convenient solution, because so far this is the best. I just think they need to make the screen slightly more sensitive.

FingersXG

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app or some way around having to drag that slide to answer the phone?? I HATE that slide. When my phone rings, the slide refuses to slide and by the time it does, the caller has usually hung up. I'm hoping something new has come up since this was last replied to.

Sounds like you may have too many things running, causing a drastic slowdown in response time.

Have you contacted Verizon about the phone malfunctioning?

stark23x

Reaction score
People will complain about anything lol

And still others will complain about people who complain about legitimate usage and usability concerns.

Clearly some people do not see this as a valuable way to use their phones. I would think that was pretty obvious, but I guess it required saying anyway.

Clearly some people would like more choice - CHOICE - on how they personally use their phones. Giving me - and those who feel as I do - more options doesn't take away from you using your phone exactly as it is now. But it would allow me to use my phone exactly how I want to.

I fail to see why anyone would try to discourage users from voicing opinions about functionality and asking for more options.

tranz

Reaction score
I'd say you've got a setting wrong if you have to hit the power button when you get a call or a text. Like I said, I've never had to.

I'd love to know how this is possible. I have a stock phone as well,..... how is yours set up that makes it act differently? .... about getting the screen to come on by itself upon receipt of a text. Eliminating even that step would make it a bit better.

Good question, but I'm nowhere near the geek I used to be when it comes to this stuff. I've got no idea what apps and settings you may have set differently than my system.

-If you text me, my droid will play a tone (or vibrate), and the display will illuminate/activate, displaying the native SMS app, with the incoming message. All I do is enter my reply text and tap the "send" key. Once I hit that "send" key, my phone displays it's locked mode display with the 9-dot pattern, and I hafta either enter it, or "shut off" the droid, or let it "shut off" itself.
-If my droid is already on when an SMS comes in, I get a tone or vibe and the icon appears on the top line of the display. Then I drag it down, select the message, etc.
-If you call me, my droid will play a tone (or vibrate), and the display will activate. I only have to "swipe" the green button, left to right and hold it to my ear.

All that said, I've never had to fiddle with any settings to keep my phone working that way, it's how it's worked since I got it. SMS same thing, that's how it's always worked. Under Handcent / settings / Popup settings there's an option, but even though I have mine set "on", I get the NATIVE messaging app displaying the incoming message. I might not have set Handcent as my default since I installed the last update.

After I installed Handcent (and after every update), the 1st time I got a message there was a popup for me to select Handcent, or (native) Messaging, with a default selection option.

If your phone answering slider doesn't work 1st time, and the caller gets dumped to voicemail before you can get the slider to operate, you have at least one other app running that is not only a hardware hog, but poorly behaved. Welcome to a world of developing (immature) firmware, software, and "developers". I suspect that you weren't around when PC-DOS 2.1 came out, or OS/2-2.0, or CP/M 2, or Windows 3.0, or Apple II.

Well, you're here for Android 2.0.:)

I'm waiting for Verizon 2.2, Google 3.1, and Motorola 2.0. :mad:

-- note I edited this to correct a mistake I made about SMS when I initially made this post.

Last edited:

welterbf123

Reaction score

I'd love to know how this is possible. I have a stock phone as well, and this is what happens for me:

1. Screen times out like normally, say because the phone is sitting on my desk for 25 minutes.
2. Notification goes off that I have an SMS. LED blinks but the screen does NOT come active. It remains darkened and unresponsive.
3. I hit the power button and the slide lock screen is visible. I have to swipe to unlock or I don't get to read my text.
4. I have to hit the messaging icon to open messaging.

So worse than Joeyvee, I have three steps just to read a text. On my old phone the screen would light up and the text would be displayed over anything else and I could then dismiss it or just let the screen time out and deal with it later. Now I have all these steps involved in order to get the information to my eyeballs.

Seems like a step backward for such an amazing (and complex) phone. A sequence that was designed by engineers and not someone thinking about how real people use their phones.

So how is yours set up that makes it act differently? And before anyone says it, I know I can eliminate the lock with MyLock. This is more about getting the screen to come on by itself upon receipt of a text. Eliminating even that step would make it a bit better.

If your using Handcent it has a 'popup' setting that bypasses the lock screen.

stark23x

Reaction score
If your using Handcent it has a 'popup' setting that bypasses the lock screen.

NICE. That works a treat. Thanks for that tip...now I have the SMS thing straightened out.

Still, I can't help but to think that large parts of the Android platform were created by engineers and no usability experts have ever taken a pass at this thing. A lot of this system is overly complex.

samorsita

Reaction score
will you guy download the screen mode widget, it solves all your problems.. i never have to slide or unlock just hit the top button or side and phone turns on

jev

Reaction score
Still, I can't help but to think that large parts of the Android platform were created by engineers and no usability experts have ever taken a pass at this thing. A lot of this system is overly complex.

That's the same with anything that's ever been made.:biggrin:

stark23x

Reaction score
will you guy download the screen mode widget, it solves all your problems.. i never have to slide or unlock just hit the top button or side and phone turns on

Another good tip, one that does solve one more of the weird little quirks of the Droid, though.

But...it still doesn't solve the need to touch the phone and perform a complex task (slide to a specific point) while say, driving, in order to answer a call.

That's the same with anything that's ever been made.:biggrin:

Heh. Good point! :)

SCUBA-GUY

Reaction score
I use Screenmode widget and adjust the settings often to allow the phone to lock if I am carrying it in a pocket or will not be using it for a while.

I also found another app earlier today that eliminates the need to hit the power button to wake up the screen. Takes some getting used to, and you may have to adjust the settings a few times to get it to work the way you want, but the app below is worth trying out at least...

Shaker (Beta) for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Mitch

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
If something for texting is what you want then download Handcent SMS and enable the popups. I personally dont mind this stuff seeing as its more safe and im not too lazy to press a button and swipe my finger to unlock and then go read my message. Personally i love the fact my phone goes into sleep mode. It conserves battery while the display isnt on since the display is what drains my battery the most. I dont text while driving and if i call while driving i am using a bluetooth and only got to touch the screen a little to make my call. This really isnt an issue for me as most smartphones (if they have smart devs) will have these safety precautions and features.