I don't want to slide to answer a call or unlock phone

shady44

Reaction score
I use a blueant bluetooth speaker device and can totally use it hands free with my phone. Answers and hangs up automatically. Works great.

dustyfeathers

Reaction score
yeah i thought with a bluetooth you can just press the button on the side and it would pick up the call for you.

I have a Jawbone Icon and I just hit the button ON THE BLUETOOTH to answer the call. I don't have to touch my phone at all. This is just my experience though. You could answer it by sliding the 'answer' slide on the phone, but why bother?

slinky

Reaction score
The swipe SUCKS BIG TIME. WHY DID THEY DO THIS? Ever hear of an ANSWER BUTTON?

Half the time it takes me a second swipe to have it register. The first one may also be the phone "thinking" while the phone is ringing and it takes extra time to register. It sucks. One of the least favorite parts of the phone experience.

tranz

Reaction score
The swipe SUCKS BIG TIME. WHY DID THEY DO THIS? Ever hear of an ANSWER BUTTON?

Half the time it takes me a second swipe to have it register. The first one may also be the phone "thinking" while the phone is ringing and it takes extra time to register. It sucks. One of the least favorite parts of the phone experience.

Well, the swipe needs to work properly the 1st time, no doubt, but there are good reasons for having a swipe instead of a simple touch. I don't know for sure what device you have, but the Motorola A855 is ONLY a touchscreen device (which is a BAD idea). An incoming call could ring the phone, activate the unit, and "answer" or go "off-hook" unintentionally, and quite possibly simply laying face-down somewhere if a sequence were not required to put the unit in an off-hook state. (You realize that charges would apply and accumulate whenever the telephone function is off-hook don't you?) You'd be out-complained about 1,000,000 : 1 by others if that were to happen.

The swipe is a fine function. If yours doesn't work that's another problem.

Do you have any other problems with your device responding to your touch? It is possible that there is a hardware defect in your device, and you need to have it replaced or repaired. It is more likely however that you aren't touching it firmly with your fingertip skin. Motorola's choice of touch sensing type is different than most other touchscreens have been to date, and it's NOT very sensitive to hard, dry calloused fingertips. I'm not in love with it either, but there are pros and cons.

The A855 "DROID" has been a bit of a disappointment to me, it's sure not perfect. I might be happier with an Eris or Nexus, maybe even a Palm. Still, if the 3 parents would listen to the users out here and make fixes things would get a lot better.

slinky

Reaction score
For some reason the "answer call" button seems to work perfectly for many other phones including the iPhone. Quite frankly, if the millions who use that phone didn't have problems, I don't think that Motorola needed to be "one step smarter" with the introduction of the swipe. It's a glorified PITA, especially if your fingers might be a tad greasy. Plus, there isn't a good sense of feedback that you did it properly like a good press of a button that glows immediately. Not having the ability to turn off the stupid swipe is another bummer.

Joeyvee

Reaction score
I love my droid and I know Im a newb and this is my first post but you guys are defending this swipe thing pretty damn hard.

Everythings cool about the droid but I text ALOT. My phones in front of me right now. If I see it go green I will hit the unlock button to (not)unlock it, then swipe it. It's annoying to have to do both. Its stupid. I shouldn't have to hit anything twice. At all. On any phone. Ever.

I just did it like 3 times while I was writing this and working and it makes my phone a 2 handed device. Well that sucks. This small little piece of the phone sucks. Dont tell me the droids not for me or whatever. It's just this one thing pissing me off.

It would be cool if someone came up with a way to fix that. Isn't the whole idealogy behind open development so that almost every user can have exactly what they want on their phone and have it operate how they like?
"Maybe the droids not for you" hahah. Wow man. Strong words. You know almost every other phone out there is ****.

An answer button wouldnt work or you'd be butt dialing and making calls all the time by accident. But maybe just eliminate the stupid unlock button so that all you have to do is swipe. Unless mines got a glitch or I am stupid enough not to know how to eliminate that lock button on my own in my settings (which is a very good probability).

Last edited:

drummerq

Reaction score
I love my droid and I know Im a newb and this is my first post but you guys are defending this swipe thing pretty damn hard.

Everythings cool about the droid but I text ALOT. My phones in front of me right now. If I see it go green I will hit the unlock button to (not)unlock it, then swipe it. It's annoying to have to do both. Its stupid. I shouldn't have to hit anything twice. At all. On any phone. Ever.

I just did it like 3 times while I was writing this and working and it makes my phone a 2 handed device. Well that sucks. This small little piece of the phone sucks. Dont tell me the droids not for me or whatever. It's just this one thing pissing me off.

It would be cool if someone came up with a way to fix that. Isn't the whole idealogy behind open development so that almost every user can have exactly what they want on their phone and have it operate how they like?
"Maybe the droids not for you" hahah. Wow man. Strong words. You know almost every other phone out there is ****.

An answer button wouldnt work or you'd be butt dialing and making calls all the time by accident. But maybe just eliminate the stupid unlock button so that all you have to do is swipe. Unless mines got a glitch or I am stupid enough not to know how to eliminate that lock button on my own in my settings (which is a very good probability).

I dont think this will fix all of you worying about answering the phones, however with texts this helps,

Try - Screenmodewidget

this can iliminate the unlock pattern as long as an option to keep screen on.

This is good for the hour you could be texting strait but can get anoyying sitting in your pocket

Try it out, what your asking its exactly what you want

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I've been using Screenk0dewidget as well the last few days, and it does keep your phone on, and allow you decide when to close and open it. I was having problems because it was closing too fast in mode 2, and a few times it froze the first day. But then I stopped the automatic timed task killers and cache wipers, and since then it's been working fine. Haven't carried it around much, but so far hasn't opened by itself in my pocket, from the camera or volume buttons.

tranz

Reaction score
confusion? droid? what droid?

..... phones in front of me right now. If I see it go green I will hit the unlock button to (not)unlock it, then swipe it. It's annoying to have to do both. Its stupid. I shouldn't have to hit anything twice......

Man, what phone are you using?

It doesn't sound like mine!

You know, "Droid" doesn't mean any device that has an Android OS or kernel, so maybe you're confused (about that too). It's possible that this website and some forums are older than the Motorola A855 "Droid", and I SURE don't think that Motorola has any legitimate claim on the term "droid", but I think that you may be entering your *****ing in the wrong forum. This is for "Droid Phones by Model > Motorola Droid".

If you have the Motorola A855 "droid", which is the forum you're in, you don't have to unlock your phone AND "swipe" to answer a phone call or an SMS message. I sure as heck don't and never have.

slinky

Reaction score
Somehow the iPhone sold how many phones? The lock screen comes into place so you wouldn't be dialing by mistake.

With regard to the answer phone button, I find it very rare that you'd be answering calls by accident and, if you were answering them - isn't that the point? Many phones have dedicated call buttons, e.g. the Blackberry. I never had the problem of the phone making unwanted calls and positively LOVED the answer button which was quick and, when I pressed it, I knew that any delay was momentary.

With that stupid swipe I sometimes don't drag my finger across the screen long enough. It's also possible that some delay in the phone (e.g. the ringtone from the SD card, another extension working simultaneously, etc.) means the swipe doesn't register completely the first time round while the phone is busy answering the call. It's just an unnecessary pain. I understand it only for unlocking the screen.

Joeyvee

Reaction score
Man, what phone are you using?

It doesn't sound like mine!

You know, "Droid" doesn't mean any device that has an Android OS or kernel, so maybe you're confused (about that too). It's possible that this website and some forums are older than the Motorola A855 "Droid", and I SURE don't think that Motorola has any legitimate claim on the term "droid", but I think that you may be entering your *****ing in the wrong forum. This is for "Droid Phones by Model > Motorola Droid".

If you have the Motorola A855 "droid", which is the forum you're in, you don't have to unlock your phone AND "swipe" to answer a phone call or an SMS message. I sure as heck don't and never have.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the right forum. I'm not THAT stupid. This is what goes on with my phone. I send a text. I put it down. 30 seconds later I get a response, the led is blinking green, I pick it up and touch everything BUT the power button and the screen stays pitch black. No slide option. I hit the power button and the screen comes alive, and I have to swipe. TWO actions for one result. It's annoying. Maybe I have a setting wrong? I dunno.

Joeyvee

Reaction score
Download 'mylock" from the market.
That should solve all of your sliding problems.
Not bad. It gets rid of the slide function but I still have to use the power button to get my screen activated again.. I guess its better than both. I would prefer JUST the slide.. Whatever. I'll live with it.