[HUGE NEWS] VZ to allow unlimited Skype calling over 3g starting next month!!!1

bastosero

Reaction score
Article says there will be a new app AND Skype Out will be supported too, so that means you can call regular phones with it if you have Skype credit. I have an unlimited Skype Out plan, they're cheap, so this is really something if it works well. I wonder if Skype IN will work too but I imagine that it will. I've tried Fring and could never get it to actually connect on a Skype Out call.

Even on wi-fi you couldn't make a Skype to Skype call?

PatG

Reaction score
I'd pay for making Skype calls over WiFi to regular phones. Since the Droid doesn't work oversees that may be one alternate solution. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I'm really hoping this works (over wi-fi) because the cell signal at my house is nearly non-existent. This would help me justify getting my wife a smart phone with the data plan, since we would then be able to cancel our home phone service.

I'm sincerely hoping that this works like they say it does...it would be very convenient for us.

bastosero

Reaction score
I'm really hoping this works (over wi-fi) because the cell signal at my house is nearly non-existent. This would help me justify getting my wife a smart phone with the data plan, since we would then be able to cancel our home phone service.

I'm sincerely hoping that this works like they say it does...it would be very convenient for us.

Wi-fi does work with it. I'm more worried about the 3G data connection. If a lot of people use it, I hope it doesn't affect other data users who don't use it for other data needs.

PatG

Reaction score

Wi-fi does work with it. I'm more worried about the 3G data connection. If a lot of people use it, I hope it doesn't affect other data users who don't use it for other data needs.

WiFi supposedly works with it, yes, but it is a huge pain to get it going. Skype needs to develop one app to install; that's it. Not all these other add ons you need.

bastosero

Reaction score

WiFi supposedly works with it, yes, but it is a huge pain to get it going. Skype needs to develop one app to install; that's it. Not all these other add ons you need.

It's not a pain at all, bro. All you have to do is turn on wi-fi on (given you have access to wi-fi) your Droid and use Skype to call another Skype user. Test Nimbuzz with it. It works, but the quality, for now, sucks. I didn't test Nimbuzz to make a Skype Out call though.

bastosero

Reaction score

It's not a pain at all, bro. All you have to do is turn on wi-fi on (given you have access to wi-fi) your Droid and use Skype to call another Skype user. Test Nimbuzz with it. It works, but the quality, for now, sucks. I didn't test Nimbuzz to make a Skype Out call though.

I have a friend from Europe and I called her mobile device. We had a Skype to Skype call over wi-fi. I had to be on wi-fi to call her and she had to be on wi-fi to receive the call because 3G wouldn't work with it.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score

I have a friend from Europe and I called her mobile device. We had a Skype to Skype call over wi-fi. I had to be on wi-fi to call her and she had to be on wi-fi to receive the call because 3G wouldn't work with it.

Yeah, I need Skypeout to work for it to be a practical replacement for my home phone.

droidkm

Reaction score
so would this have any real use for someone who makes all in-country calls without going over 450 minutes?

bastosero

Reaction score
so would this have any real use for someone who makes all in-country calls without going over 450 minutes?

It depends on who you are calling. If you are calling others with Skype accounts (Skype to Skype which is VoIP) then it's free. If you plan on using Skype to call regular phone numbers, you need to sign up for a SkypeOut monthly plan or buy credit from Skype as you go to make those calls regardless of who you are calling with a regular phone number.

M

Matth3w

Ok, just curious...

I am going to Germany in May for 5 weeks. If I took my Droid and turned everything off but WiFi and used Skype I could probably make free calls, no?

clucernoni

Reaction score
This is big news, but I just use google voice so it doesn't matter at all.

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Same here. I don't have 'Skype friends' either. But the fact that VZW will allow this is big.
It's almost as if they're taunting AT&T with their available 3G bandwidth, LOL

This is where it is most interesting to me. I'm not a Skype user either, so for me there's a bigger picture here.

How will the other carriers counter a move like this by VZW (and don't mean simply matching this)? What will VZW do in the future to make their service more appealing to consumers?

Hopefully we all benefit from this.