Skype Using Verizon Data/Minutes

tuler93

Reaction score
Let me run something by the community at large. I've spent the last hour trying to find an answer but since it's somewhat of a recent development, I haven't found anything.

There's speculation that at MWC 2010 Verizon is going to start allowing the use of it's 3G network for Skype phone calls. Assuming this is the case I'm curious if someone with more Skype/Verizon experience can answer some questions.

1. Is Verizon going to charge minutes usage out of our monthly plan or will it be purely off our data plan?

2. If it's the latter, for all of us with unlimited data on our phones, couldn't we drop to the lowest minute plan, 450, and primarily use skype? I know this would save me about 20 bucks a month.

3. Skype charges $2.95 a month for unlimited USA calls to landlines and mobile phones correct? So $2.95 + $39.99 for 450 minutes, vs. $59.99 for the next closest minute plan.... I feel like it sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something or is Verizon throwing us a bone for once.....

Thanks for all the help/comments

kristoff125

Reaction score
Skype would run off data directly, and the current verizon plan has no limits, so skype would be a good idea.