Huawei is Angling to be the OEM for the 2016 Google Nexus 7

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
new-nexus-logo.png

According to supply chain rumors, Huawei is "courting" Google to become the manufacturer for a next-gen Google Nexus 7 that is set to arrive in 2016. Considering that Google and Huawei now have history together with the Nexus 6P, and that it is a relatively successful partnership, we wouldn't be too surprised if this materializes. On top of this, Huawei has grown to become the third largest smartphone maker in the world (at least by shipment volume). They are also the largest smartphone maker in their home country of China.

What's most surprising about this intel is that Google is mulling a new Nexus 7 at all. It was easy to assume they were letting the device die out, since they didn't create a new one this year. What new surprises could Google and Huawei bring to a next generation Nexus 7? Here at HQ, we certainly wouldn't mind finding out. What do you folks think?

Source: GforGames

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've dusted my N7 off several times this year. Mostly to use it for the Pipboy app with Fallout 4 and Hearthstone, but hey, its doing its purpose. I'll be interested in the next version assuming its not crazy overpriced.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not a bad idea as the nexus 7 needs an update. There are some that the nexus 7 is a great device, especially for reading in bed. I would like to see lenovo make one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I really like my Nexus 9 - hoping for an updated version some day altho mine still rocks for now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, if I'd have known they were going to make a new Nexus 7, I might've held off on buying the Nvidia Shield K1. I thought about going for a 2013 N7, but figured I was better off with a "newer" model tablet. It's doing the job just fine and is close enough to stock for me, but if the price was right, I'd have been happy to grab a newer Nexus next year. My N7 was still working for reading in bed, but I've used the Shield for much more since I got it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My 2013 N7 is working flawlessly but I may entertain offers to get a new one if the specs and price is reasonable. All I use my tablet for is datalogging in my car and smartglass on xbox. Pretty much a waste for me.