HTC Thunderbolt Overclocked Further - Over 2GHz!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thunderbolt-stable-tweet.png

Last week we shared with you that the HTC Thunderbolt had been overclocked to a 'lightning fast' 1.8GHz. It seems that it has been overclocked again, and this time it jumps from 'lightning speed' to 'light speed', at just over 2GHZ! This overclock report comes courtesy of a Tweet from P3Droid. It's crazy how fast this tech is moving... reminds me of the PC, only an even faster evolution.

Source: Phandroid

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
What do you think the upper limit will be before usability starts trumping speed? I know with the OG Droid (stock 550Mhz) was good at 1.25Ghz but above that it restarted a lot and got REALLY hot. The HTC Thunderbolt is what, 1Ghz? And now we're at 2Ghz. Already 2x of what it was.

Chachmo78

Reaction score
It amazes me in how a little over a year and a half (explosion of Android phones on ALL carrierz) that smart phones are getting so close to replacing laptops for a majority of functions. With docking stations (think the AT&T android) all we need is an only slight beefier processor and laptops will be obsolete.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

RoyR80

Reaction score
It amazes me in how a little over a year and a half (explosion of Android phones on ALL carrierz) that smart phones are getting so close to replacing laptops for a majority of functions. With docking stations (think the AT&T android) all we need is an only slight beefier processor and laptops will be obsolete.

95% true... i cant play Call of Duty on my fone though...... ;-)

Reaction score
gonna have a proton pack strapped to your back to power that already juice hungry pig. Dont cross the streams!

Sweettooth

Reaction score

No I'm sure tablets are already the laptop replacement in mind.

Reaction score
I can't imagine they were able to run it at those speeds but I wonder what there quadrant score would look like if they were able to.

Reaction score
Stable does not mean stable. The Core I7 processor in my computer can boot into windows at 5GHz+ and appear to be stable up until a resource hungry program is started, then it bluescreens. My computer is stable enough for windows 7 at 5GNz but not stable enough for very many programs was just wondering if this was kind of the same deal.

rage151

Reaction score
Seriously, does this matter if the memory bottlenecks data? I really don't know, but is the TB's memory different than what has been used for years in mobile phones?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Big difference. A 2 ghz tbolt only has ram running at 400 pr 533 MT/s, newer phones with lpddr2 have the potential for ram running at 800 or beyond (i believe though lpddr2 has a theoretical max of 1066 MT/s)

rage151

Reaction score
Big difference. A 2 ghz tbolt only has ram running at 400 pr 533 MT/s, newer phones with lpddr2 have the potential for ram running at 800 or beyond (i believe though lpddr2 has a theoretical max of 1066 MT/s)

That's my point, you said it in more technical terms. Thank you.

So if the memory speed is double in the newer ddr2 handsets, a 1ghz phone with it will run close to the speed of a 2ghz with the older memory.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The cpu and ram speed are not the same. They both contribute to the system as a whole, along with the graphics chip and sd card/internal sd/signal processors/etc.

Doubling the ram speed simply doubles the speed that cpu/gpu and programs can load and access the ram. In effect, if the hardware truly is ram speed limited, the difference might be a 1.5x increase, at best.

rage151

Reaction score
I never said the speeds are the same. Just pointing out that overclocking the TB is not as effective as everyone thinks...because the older memory is a governor of sorts. I was also throwing in subtle hints that the Bionic's stock processor "should" run close to those overclocked TB's.