HTC Thunderbolt Rooted Last Night

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Thunderbolt-root.jpg

Although the full details haven't been released yet, Phandroid reported today that some quick working XDA Developers have already rooted the HTC Thunderbolt. Here are some links below. As soon as anyone notices when the details on rooting this device go live, sound off in the forums.

Source: Android.net via Phandroid and XDA Developers

Last edited:

kptphalkon

Reaction score
awesome, we can soon see what the issue plaguing the internal memory may be about.

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
i think this memory issue might be the actual os and files size, but it really should not matter being that it comes with a 32gb so i really wouldn't mind about that...

funkyb

Reaction score
Looking forward to uninstalling all the bloatcrap and downclocking the CPU when not in use.

Doesn't the CPU already drop the multiplier when not in use? While running Elixir I could see it spike to 1Ghz when doing something, but most of the time it hovered around 200mhz.

mitchb2

Reaction score
Will there be a step-by-step guide? I was too chicken to root my D1. Then when the 1-click root came out, I could never get it to work. If I got a TB and it turned out I'd be stuck with the crapware, I'd vomit.

BGKris

Reaction score
Here is the way to root the TB. Not easy. No custom recovery. No S-OFF yet.

[Exclusive] How To Root The HTC Thunderbolt – Instructions By Team AndIRC (V1.01 2011/03/18) | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

I'm tempted to temp root just to remove the bloatware bullcrap.

I would wait on this

"The root procedure currently requires flashing a slightly older version of the firmware (RUU_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.05.605.0_Radio_1.07.00.0108r_NV_8K_1.38_9K_1.54_release_166255), which could potentially have more bugs. Right now, we cannot confirm whether LTE/battery bugs are present in this version or not."

nateccnn

Reaction score
Looking forward to uninstalling all the bloatcrap and downclocking the CPU when not in use.

Doesn't the CPU already drop the multiplier when not in use? While running Elixir I could see it spike to 1Ghz when doing something, but most of the time it hovered around 200mhz.

I installed SetCPU and watched the clock speed go up and down according to use. Seems to me it's already clocked down for non-use.

Nate

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Here is the way to root the TB. Not easy. No custom recovery. No S-OFF yet.

[Exclusive] How To Root The HTC Thunderbolt – Instructions By Team AndIRC (V1.01 2011/03/18) | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police

I'm tempted to temp root just to remove the bloatware bullcrap.

The root procedure currently requires flashing a slightly older version of the firmware (RUU_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.05.605.0_Radio_1.07.00.0108r_NV_8K_1.38_9K_1.54_release_166255), which could potentially have more bugs. Right now, we cannot confirm whether LTE/battery bugs are present in this version or not. However, you can always flash back to stock, thereby losing root, if you experience problems (we will provide instructions for this very soon).
Nope. Not until I get recovery will I attempt that.

Donsell

Reaction score
This is a list of bloatware from the Engadget review. This is enough to make me want to replace it with a custom rom ASAP.

• Adobe Reader
  • Bitbop: A subscription service that offers a variety of movies and television shows streamed to your phone, along the lines of Hulu Plus.
  • Blockbuster
  • City ID: A service that displays the city and state of incoming calls -- handy, admittedly, but probably not for the $1.99 they charge after your 15-day free trial expires. Too bad you can't uninstall it if you don't want to subscribe!
  • FM Radio: Yes, that's right -- the Thunderbolt's got an FM radio tuner. Nothing fancy in the app, which -- like most phones -- requires a headset be plugged in to use (it doubles as the antenna).
  • Kindle
  • Let's Golf 2: A trial of a 3D golf game with a silly name. $4.99 to buy the full version.
  • Quickoffice: Many Android phones have one version or another of Quickoffice in ROM, but the Thunderbolt's got full Word and Excel editing capabilities at no extra charge -- a nice touch.
  • Rhapsody
  • Rock Band: This is actually nothing more than a shortcut to download a trial version of Rock Band from EA. That's already uncool, but what's even more uncool is that when we tried, it just went to a black screen and hung. The only thing worse than crapware is broken crapware.
  • Slacker
  • TuneWiki
  • V CAST Apps
  • V CAST Media
  • VZ Navigator

ke0kie

Reaction score
This is a list of bloatware from the Engadget review. This is enough to make me want to replace it with a custom rom ASAP.

• Adobe Reader
  • Bitbop: A subscription service that offers a variety of movies and television shows streamed to your phone, along the lines of Hulu Plus.
  • Blockbuster
  • City ID: A service that displays the city and state of incoming calls -- handy, admittedly, but probably not for the $1.99 they charge after your 15-day free trial expires. Too bad you can't uninstall it if you don't want to subscribe!
  • FM Radio: Yes, that's right -- the Thunderbolt's got an FM radio tuner. Nothing fancy in the app, which -- like most phones -- requires a headset be plugged in to use (it doubles as the antenna).
  • Kindle
  • Let's Golf 2: A trial of a 3D golf game with a silly name. $4.99 to buy the full version.
  • Quickoffice: Many Android phones have one version or another of Quickoffice in ROM, but the Thunderbolt's got full Word and Excel editing capabilities at no extra charge -- a nice touch.
  • Rhapsody
  • Rock Band: This is actually nothing more than a shortcut to download a trial version of Rock Band from EA. That's already uncool, but what's even more uncool is that when we tried, it just went to a black screen and hung. The only thing worse than crapware is broken crapware.
  • Slacker
  • TuneWiki
  • V CAST Apps
  • V CAST Media
  • VZ Navigator

ya

1) don't tell me what apps I want
2) don't make it a 'root requirement' to remove apps, that I don't want

right?

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
if it were me i really wait before i root this phone lol, last thing you want to have is a pretty good looking paper weight...:icon_ banana: