HTC Thunderbolt Rooted Last Night

fox_dye

Reaction score
With S-ON and no recovery it just doesn't seem like its worth rooting the device. But this is promising for the thunderbolt owners. You figure that manufacturers would get the point and give us the option do do what we want with our devices. But I do see why they don't. Then they would have to deal with a lot of warranty repairs because people tried to do things that they don't know anything about. I would pay extra to get a device that comes unlocked but then again I know how to restore software and fix things on my own.

Sent from a galaxy far far away.....

Detonation

Reaction score
You figure that manufacturers would get the point and give us the option do do what we want with our devices. But I do see why they don't.

Satisfying the small percentage of users like us that care about this stuff is far less profitable for them than the money they make selling out to these apps.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
TAKE THAT VERIZON.. MY TB HAS ROOT!!! Now my app draw looks so empty.. but that's a good thing.. freaking mini golf was over a 100 mb itself... time to copy over my titanium from my D1 and get my apps and data back.. I LOVE ANDROID!!! Second day with phone and I got root.. :icon_ banana:

DaWolf85

Reaction score
With S-ON and no recovery it just doesn't seem like its worth rooting the device. But this is promising for the thunderbolt owners. You figure that manufacturers would get the point and give us the option do do what we want with our devices. But I do see why they don't. Then they would have to deal with a lot of warranty repairs because people tried to do things that they don't know anything about. I would pay extra to get a device that comes unlocked but then again I know how to restore software and fix things on my own.

They have S-OFF, actually. Though we're still waiting for recovery, ofc.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

They have S-OFF, actually. Though we're still waiting for recovery, ofc.

Correct it is S-off.. but it works great. Wouldn't suggest to anyone that doesn't know how to use ADB, but it was really easy and as long as you don't stray from the steps then you shouldn't have to worry about bricking the phone.. of course I must say I can not guarantee everyone would not brick, but really.. it's not hard to root with basic ADB knowledge.. for the rest I bet by next week at the latest they will have this thing going with an easy root.. IMO

ke0kie

Reaction score
immediate benefits look like what

1) remove bloatware
2) ability to add wifi tether
3) overclock (as if battery issue isn't bad enough, still interesting to see performance benchmark comparison)
4) ?????

I want to insure recovery was available before rooting.

Any other initial input? I can't wait to turn the knobs on my phone when I take delivery tomorrow. Coming from the OG Droid, I'm not sweating root. Although, this is my first HTC device, so I'm a little green here.

--Scott

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a full root, also waiting for a few more people to try it. Also I want HTC's update to fix the reported internal memory amongst a few other things.

ke0kie

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a full root, also waiting for a few more people to try it. Also I want HTC's update to fix the reported internal memory amongst a few other things.

TeamAndIRC said not to take the OTA coming from HTC, and take theirs instead next week. Does this have something to do w/ the Memory issue?

--Scott

Reaction score
I have never rooted a phone before so could someone who has tell me what the disadvantages are.

Will it void my insurance coverage I have on the phone if something goes wrong down the road and can I UNroot if I needed too?

Thanks

foxky

Reaction score
I have never rooted a phone before so could someone who has tell me what the disadvantages are.

Will it void my insurance coverage I have on the phone if something goes wrong down the road and can I UNroot if I needed too?

Thanks

yes and yes.

tapped on my LibX 1.5

BigMcGuire

Reaction score

TeamAndIRC said not to take the OTA coming from HTC, and take theirs instead next week. Does this have something to do w/ the Memory issue?

--Scott

From what I'm getting from [ROOT] Unlock Bootloader + Permroot 3/19/2011 - xda-developers -- looks like the latest way to root has the latest "RUU??" Whatever that means. I'm a very experienced OG Droid rooter. I never liked Rom Manager and preferred to do things the old way (update.zip boot into recovery, etc).

I'm very tempted to root now because it looks like you don't have to go backwards. But might wait till they release next week.

ke0kie

Reaction score

--Scott

From what I'm getting from [ROOT] Unlock Bootloader + Permroot 3/19/2011 - xda-developers -- looks like the latest way to root has the latest "RUU??" Whatever that means. I'm a very experienced OG Droid rooter. I never liked Rom Manager and preferred to do things the old way (update.zip boot into recovery, etc).

I'm very tempted to root now because it looks like you don't have to go backwards. But might wait till they release next week.

ditto on the release next week, I've got a busy week ahead of me anyway.

--Scott

mthorn79

Reaction score
I'm guessing in order to root, that a goldcard is required like on the Inspire right?

I hated trying to go through 3 SDcards because of problems with the goldcard.

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing in order to root, that a goldcard is required like on the Inspire right?

Stock TB and SD card work fine .never heard of the gold card personally

mthorn79

Reaction score

Stock TB and SD card work fine .never heard of the gold card personally

Well for the Inspire it required a spare SDcard to flash an image onto it making it a "goldcard" in order to begin the process of rooting the phone. Sometimes flashing that image to the SDcard would have an error along the way having you get another SDcard until it accepts it. Real pain, but once it makes a goldcard that works it was easy following the steps.