HTC DNA Disassembly - Teardown Done|

djmk4

Reaction score
i mean the 3 capacitive buttons at the bottom...i want to make them red as it is on rezound sensation xe and global one x plus!

mizr3en

Reaction score
That I do not know, I didn't remove the lower piece of plastic housing the speaker. You'll learn more from pwrdbykyank's pictures however it's hard to see. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling the LCD's back-light extends down to the three buttons so you'd probably just need to tint the backlight in that region - however this may distort the color of the LCD... Good luck and let us know how it goes!

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
The LEDs are on the small bottom bored which is with the speaker. You will need to solder them off (there is two of them) and then solder red leds back on. Oh and the leds are not from the lcd screen, they are seperate.

djmk4

Reaction score
The LEDs are on the small bottom bored which is with the speaker. You will need to solder them off (there is two of them) and then solder red leds back on. Oh and the leds are not from the lcd screen, they are seperate.

i have 2 questions! if i dissaembly the phone and do it.......first thing can i put multicolor leds and control them from an app like light manager or i don't know :p and also if a take the phone apart when i put it all back together will be still solid like was new..or i will have any problems with back cover

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
if you dont break any of the catches, will be solid like before. Also you would need special programming in software to use multicolor and make it work. Someone would need to make a custom app for that i guess.

xShin

Reaction score
Hi All, I was referred here by a kind soul on another forum regarding taking apart a Droid DNA. I unfortunately dropped my DNA this morning in the parking lot and am therefore looking to replace my shattered screen.. for those of you who have taken apart your DNA's, how difficult is it for someone who's never attempted anything like this before? Only the glass is shattered; the capacitive layer and everything else still works perfectly. I'm currently looking at this: Replacement DIGITIZER TOUCH SCREEN for HTC Droid DNA 4G LTE Butterfly Deluxe DLX | eBay . Although the item picture is for the Butterfly with the red capacitive buttons, would it still work on the DNA? (For those of you who wanted to change your buttons to being red, here's your chance!) Any tips/insight would be extremely appreciated.. thanks in advance!

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Hi two things you should know, one that the htc dna and j butterfly have different size touch digitizers, so that wouldnt work for your dna. Second on these newer phones usually the LCD and digitizer are fused together, so in most cases you wouldnt be able to just replace the digitizer you would need a full LCD assembly. Taking it apart isnt easy nor hard, you need some experience to know how to reassemble it back and also not to tear any cables and so forth (power button flex is tricky). I would say just mail it in to htc to repair or do an insurance claim or i guess wait untill parts become available and cheaper :)

xShin

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm concerned as well about my lack of experience.. as far as the sizes go, the J Butterfly is larger, but the Butterfly is the same size as the DNA, correct? That's why I thought it would work.. I'm just trying to avoid having to be without my phone for 2+ weeks :( When you were saying that the touch screen and digitizer are fuzed together, does that mean that the item on eBay wouldn't work? Or would it work, since it says "Digitizer Touch Screen".. sorry for all the questions.. while I do have some basic technological knowledge, I've never taken apart a phone like this before and I just want to make sure I have all my facts straight :)

quikfinger00

Reaction score
You're correct Sir. The droid dna and butterfly are the same. The j butterfly is a different variant with a slightly longer display. I just ordered a screen/digitizer for my dna. Seller confirmed that it would work. Worst case scenario it won't fit and I get my money back

xShin

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation! Could I trouble you to let me know how it goes? My shattered screen is killing me inside every time I look at it.. so if this really turns out to be a viable option, I'm all for it.. thanks in advance!

quikfinger00

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation! Could I trouble you to let me know how it goes? My shattered screen is killing me inside every time I look at it.. so if this really turns out to be a viable option, I'm all for it.. thanks in advance!

Sure. I'm still waiting for it to come in. It's scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. I'm so eager to get my screen replaced. I hate looking at it in the state that it's in. I got a ballistic case to warrant it from any future damage :)

patchnauty

Reaction score
For those with broken screens, Verizon wireless has open enrollment for Tec asurion, until March 8th, 100$ deductible. Just wait a couple of days after and file the claim online. Easy as pie

OP
P

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
ok guys but are you sure the digitizer is a seperate piece and is not fused together with the lcd as most new phones are? Most of the times the digitizer alone cant just be replaced, you need to replace both lcd and digitizer together.

mattybaer

Reaction score
ok guys but are you sure the digitizer is a seperate piece and is not fused together with the lcd as most new phones are? Most of the times the digitizer alone cant just be replaced, you need to replace both lcd and digitizer together.

I found this out the hard way. They are fused together, at least mine was. While prying off digitizer, I cracked my LCD ever so slightly. Now I need a completely new one. I've seen that you can remove the two by using a blow dryer and heating up the adhesive so the screen comes off. It was damn near impossible to pry off a broken digitizer without ****ing up the LCD.

I'm in the process of waiting for my LCD to get in.