HTC DNA Disassembly - Teardown Done|

Discussion in 'HTC Droid DNA' started by pwrdbykyank, Nov 24, 2012.

1. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

Hey guys, i finally decided to take apart my personal HTC DNA. Back cover is held down with clips all around, and some adhesive surrounding the speaker. It also seems to have a water tight seal around it. I was hoping to find a hidden sd card slot underneath but it doesnt. The picture where i circled in red is where the front notification LED shines through, and there is a small square plastic which can be removed to allow more light through. Also the LEDs for the navigation soft keys can be changed to different colors since they are easily accessible. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    3 people like this.
  2. yearn2burn

yearn2burn New Member

Nice work!

Regarding the missing SD slot, do u know where it is on J Butterfly and if there may be.some vestigial connection on the DNA? Also, how snug is the battery? Might there be room for a bigger one?
  3. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

i dont think you would be able to put a bigger battery unless you put a larger battery door. Now here is the thing. Im almost positive you can add SD card support in the future. Since the htc j butterfly is a little thicker and supports sd card, the phone aside from the battery door is identical. Once parts become available to order for these phones, im sure you can purchase the small board which holds both cameras and the sim card slot from the htc j butterfly, and pop it into the htc dna as the cables would be the same. You would also need to put the htc j butterfly door on the phone to permit the sd card slot, and thats not a bad idea since you can chose from white red or black on the butterfly, which in my case i want the red one! :) But as far as the stock small board which currently is in the dna and holds the cameras and sim slot, no it does not have any slot which you can see and say oh the sd card slot would go there.
  4. Anna222

Anna222 New Member

Can you please make a disassembly video. I really want to take mine apart too. :p
  5. yearn2burn

yearn2burn New Member

Even if there is not a slot, if there are contacts that it could be soldered, you could theoretically add one. It could be left in the case and nonaccessible from a practical standpoint if you put in a big card.
  6. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

ya i know what your saying but no it does not even have the space for it or the contacts as your talking about, trust me i checked lol thats the main reason i took it apart. The small board which holds both cameras and sim card is the part that should have it which on the dna does not, but on the j butterfly it does, so its just a matter of ordering that small board part which would prolly run about $60 when parts first become available and swapping it with the DNA one since flex cables will be identical and there you have it a sd card slot. You might need to also buy the j butterfly battery door cover since its more extended outward to house the sd card flap and fit right. Just give it a month the parts will come around, i will convert mine for sure.
  7. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

If i find the time, i will try to do it lol too much time consuming.
  8. yearn2burn

yearn2burn New Member

Looking at the internal packaging, could a bigger battery theoretically fit with a bigger back? It seems the battery on mine is still a little small. Not like my old Thunderbolt, but not good for a full day of moderate to heavy use.
  9. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

maybe, id first have to see the battery cover for the j butterfly
  10. jkaetz

jkaetz New Member

Hard to judge scale in the pics, but comparing with the j butterfly pic below, the slot on the right of the bottom picture would have to be a combo microsd and sim slot but I haven't been able to find one that has both cards on the "top". Usually one is on the top and the other on the side or bottom. The odds of the interconnects being there are probably good but would likely be a nightmare to do the actual solder work. Certainly not going to be an easy job unless we can source the j butterfly parts.

htc_j_butterfly8_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

11. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

yup exactly, like you mentioned will be on top of eachother. On the J butterfly, the sim card slot from what i have read is a micro sim slot, same size sim as iphone 5 which is much smaller. Also the j butterfly door is more thicker like an extended back cover to accomidate the sim and sd being on top of eachother. If you compare the width of it to pics of the dna you will see the size difference. The front of the phone and sides are identical, no differences at all, and looking at the dna from inside, the whole front (lcd digitizer front housing with frame will be also identical to the j butterfly. The only difference on the j butterfly is the back cover and the top small board which will hold both sim and sd card slot. So all we would need is the back cover from j butterfly (which over time will be available to find) and the small main board part which should also pop up on ebay n stuff eventually. Then were set, but again im not sure if software on the DNA would read it or not but i dont see why not. Maybe rooting it and some tweaking on the system would do it. Im trying to get my hands on a j butterfly asap so i can test this out and let you guys know, so if anyone knows someone from japan, lol point me there way :)
  12. yearn2burn

yearn2burn New Member

wonder if we can get Verizon to change out our sim for a micro sim??? they may refuse, or just pretend it's impossible...
  13. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

If they dont, next option would be to find someone with an iphone 5, activate a sim on the iphone 5 and then pop in the active sim to your phone :)
  14. spider210

spider210 Member

this would be sweet and give me a great reason to open mine up
  15. yearn2burn

yearn2burn New Member

Looking at your image and the side view image below, it appears that the J Butterfly is no thicker than the DNA. It just doesn't taper at the top like the DNA does, although it tapers the same way at the bottom. Great for the pocket, not so great for the prospect of fitting a bigger battery in there.

htc-j-butterfly-1-1350451958.jpg 58606d1353960593-htc-dna-disassembly-teardown-done-htc_j_butterfly8_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg
  16. jkaetz

jkaetz New Member

So what does the silver rectangle in the upper left of this shot appear to be? Thats the only other place a microsd slot could go and still be accessed by the j butterfly's door.
  17. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

that silver your talking about is just a shield over some resistors and stuff. Trust me i checked on it, there is no slot or place where it looks like there could be something soldered onto it later, or anything like that. One would assume it would have it since would be cheaper to just make one board for all and just not place the sd card slot on the ones they dont need, but yep nothing :) im sure on the j butterfly one those resistors are moved around elsewhere and the sd slot is placed there.

Also Note: On the DNA as you can see from the pics, the SIM card slot is the same size as say the droid 4 or the iphone 4/4s. But on the J butterfly it uses the micro SIM found in the iphone 5 meaning on the board, the SIM slot would be 1/3 or more smaller in size, this would also give it more space to place a micro sd card slot. WHY verizon would chose not to use micro sim cards (giving it the extra room for a SD card slot on the DNA) i dont know. I mean the technology is there why go backwards and use a big sim card? Im sure they have a reason but what it is we dont know. The only thing i do know is, as far as the phone size goes, here in usa everyone is trying to push the thinnest phone, so im guessing verizon didnt want the thicker j butterfly and went for the thinner size in the phone, but that still wouldnt explain why they used a larger SIM slot for bigger sims than a smaller one. Kinda a contradiction
  18. pwrdbykyank

pwrdbykyank New Member

- Additional Pictures -

I just took it apart again to take more clear shots of the silver shield your talking about and removed the black rubber above that also to show you guys what it looks like. This is underneath the SIM card slot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

drivers...

At the end of the day the drivers that tell the motherboard how to use the sd card/sim board are going to be the issue... it was my understanding that drivers are encoded into system itself. I'm hoping this is that only issue because then the only hurdle would be telling the os that the sd card is there.
  20. jkaetz

jkaetz New Member

But we want it to be there, it must be there! :D

Thanks for the larger pics. Since you've taken it apart twice now it doesn't sound like it is very difficult which is good news for any repairs that might be needed. I see HTC is still using what looks like spring contacts for the antennas.

I can't imagine drivers for an SD card would be too difficult to come by. It's much simpler than trying to figure out a RIL or other proprietary piece of hardware.
Search tags for this page
disassemble droid dna
disassemble htc dna
dna teardown

droid dna disassembly

droid dna teardown

how to open droid dna
how to take apart a droid dna
how to take apart droid dna

htc butterfly teardown

htc dna battery removal
htc dna disassembly