HTC Droid DNA Screen Replacement Guide

RepairsUniverse

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.repairsuniverse.com
Does your HTC Droid DNA have a cracked or faulty touch screen or LCD screen? We put together a great written repair guide to assist those who need to tear down their device to perform a screen repair.

This guide will assist you to replace the following parts:

HTC Droid DNA LCD + Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
HTC Droid DNA LCD Screen Replacement
HTC Droid DNA Touch Screen Digitizer

Repair tools recommend to perform this repair:

Small Phillips Screwdriver (#00)
T5 Torx Screwdriver
Adhesive Strips
Plastic Pry Tools
Heat Gun / Hair Dryer *Used to warm and loosen adhesive*

All of these Parts and Tools for the HTC Droid DNA can be found at our Website at: www.RepairsUniverse.com

[video=youtube_share;fTqPqh0fNkQ]http://youtu.be/fTqPqh0fNkQ[/video]

HTC Droid DNA Repair Guide:

• To begin you must power off your device and remove the sim card tray.
  • Next you will need to remove the back cover of the device using a safe open pry tool to release the clips holding it in place.
  • After the back cover has been removed you can peel off the black film covering the motherboard. Be careful not to tear it while removing.
  • Now that the motherboard has been exposed you will need to take your Small Phillips screwdriver and remove 13 screws as shown labeled in the figure below.
  • You will also need to remove 2 Torx T5 screws at the bottom of the device. See figure below for screw locations.

After all the screws have been removed you will have to release the following connections:

• 5 Antenna Cables
  • 4 Jawbone Connectors
  • 2 Pop Connectors
  • Battery Connector

See figure below to reference screw and flex cable locations

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-1.jpg

Next you will need to remove the motherboard and upper circuit board.

To do this you will need to use you pry tool to gently lift up the motherboard and slide it out of the housing.
Next you will need to to release the front camera and power button flex from the housing. *Note: The power button flex cable is held down with adhesive, be careful not to rip or tear the flex ribbon.*

See figure below for reference

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-2.jpg

• Now that you have completed the steps above you can begin removing the upper circuit board using your plastic pry tool to gently lift up the board enabling you to remove it from the device.
  • After doing so you are now able to remove the speaker assembly located at the bottom of the device by using your pry tool to gently lift it out of the housing.
  • The battery is held down with strong adhesive, you will need to be cautious when using your pry tool(s) as you do not want to bend the battery.
  • Work your way evenly around the battery prying up on all sides to work the adhesive loose to enable you to remove it.
  • Using a second pry tool for even leverage is recommended in some cases.
  • Finally you will need to peel off the volume buttons located on the side of the housing being careful not to rip the cable through the housing.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-3.jpg

Now that all steps above have been completed you can start removing your Droid DNA's LCD and touch screen digitizer assembly.

To do this you will need a heat gun or a blow dryer to apply heat to the screen assembly that will loosen up the adhesive holding it in place.

Take your heat source on a medium setting and evenly apply heat to the outer edges of the front of the screen assembly as well as the back of the housing where the LCD screen is adhered to with a little adhesive as well.
You'll want to do this in 30-45 second intervals being careful not to over heat the device and damaging the working components you may need to re-use such as the LCD or its flex cables.

After a sufficient amount of heat has been applied take your plastic pry tool and slide it along the outer edges of the screen and housing to separate them from each other.
Take your time and work around all edges on the assembly until you have released the adhesive enough to remove the screen assembly entirely from the devices inner housing.

Note: If you are only replacing either the Touch screen digitizer or LCD by itself you will need to use extra caution not to damage the other screen you will be reusing.

droid-dna-written-guide-figure-4.jpg

This HTC Droid DNA tear down guide was proudly brought to you by Repairs Universe.

Notice: This guide is intended for informational and learning purposes only, anyone attempting to perform this repair is doing so at their own risk.

Give Likes and Thanks if you have found this guide to be useful! ;)

Last edited:

onestepshort

Reaction score
Is it easy to separate the LCD from the touch screen? I've looked around and people are saying that it is extremely difficult? Thanks for the guide though. I actually found your video on youtube as well and but before I bought the parts I wanted to know if I have to get the screen assembly or if I can buy just a new digitizer.

OP
RepairsUniverse

RepairsUniverse

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.repairsuniverse.com
Is it easy to separate the LCD from the touch screen? I've looked around and people are saying that it is extremely difficult? Thanks for the guide though. I actually found your video on youtube as well and but before I bought the parts I wanted to know if I have to get the screen assembly or if I can buy just a new digitizer.

For the in-experienced, we highly suggest using the LCD + Touch Screen Assembly it makes replacing even a single screen much easier. Attempting the separate the two screens (given that they are bonded together) without the proper tools or know-how you will usually end up damaging the surface of the LCD display. Especially if the glass digitizer is shattered. If you do damage the LCD in this process you would have to order another part and wait for it to arrive after you have just disassembled your device.. It can really save a lot of frustration and extra costs.

onestepshort

Reaction score
For the in-experienced, we highly suggest using the LCD + Touch Screen Assembly it makes replacing even a single screen much easier. Attempting the separate the two screens (given that they are bonded together) without the proper tools or know-how you will usually end up damaging the surface of the LCD display. Especially if the glass digitizer is shattered. If you do damage the LCD in this process you would have to order another part and wait for it to arrive after you have just disassembled your device.. It can really save a lot of frustration and extra costs.

haha I'll take your word for it, Thanks!

AJClueless

Reaction score
Mid frame needed?

I am attempting to figure out if the repair shop I paid to fix my DNA knows what they are talking about. I thought they sounded competent when I first spoke with them, now I'm not so sure.

At first they told me that they had replaced DNA screens many times. I prepaid to order the parts, when they came in I was told the new part was defective, then when I picked up my still needing to be fixed phone, I was told that it was the wrong part. After waiting a week to hear whether they had received the correct part, I was told that they were extremely hard to find. I did a google search, and found this post. I followed the link for the LCD + screen, and emailed that page to the repair shop asking if that was what they were looking for. Their reply was that they already had that exact part, but that they needed the mid frame too?

My question is, do they even know what they are talking about? Literally the only thing wrong with my phone is the cracked screen. What/why would they need a mid frame, which they apparently can't find?

moserandrea

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This guide is very informative and the images are very clear.