How would I as an android user "boycott google"?

OP
M

mcsoul

Reaction score
It was really a mis-statement. I *should* have said something like:

What are the privacy concerns on my android phone?

I don't understand why when search google using my Firefox browser on my android
phone; I get email spammed more than usual in my yahoo mail account. It may not even be google's fault.

It could be my misunderstanding of cookies, phone identity or something like that. It could even be an incorrect
assumption.

Sorry I struck the wrong note on my thread, oh well to late for all that.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get no spam, other than what Google catches in the spam folder. But I don't have yahoo mail.

Although I don't normally go anywhere on the web I haven't been before...

Sent from my XT862 + ICS

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Facebook is the worst of them all and they don't have a "phone" per se.

Why on earth would you want to boycott Google? Weirdo. That said, you don't have to sync any accounts with Google. You can have no GMail, GTalk, GVoice, GMaps, etc. But then why have an Android? You can get a rock that does that.

My advice is to get a phone by [insert your favourite tech giant here]. They'll still collect anonymous metrics on you, but you'll feel better about it. Why anyone would feel better about MicroSoft or Apple collecting data on them but not Google is beyond me, though.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this has to do with their implementation of changes today. Lets just say it's not going to affect you if you didn't know what information google was taking from you already. Yahoo also takes information from you as well to bring advertisements and search results depending on the information they've taken from you.

It's the way the entire internet works.

The best way to "boycott" all of this is to block all advertisements, don't use search engines, don't link websites to other websites you use(this brings their link ranking up) and turn cookies off. You'll pretty much be impervious to what Google and every other search company does and has always done. If you're using Facebook then simply unlike everything you've ever liked and that will take care of that and don't visit pages of things you like.

Then you can take your tinfoil hat off and feel safe.

They'll still know what pages you're visiting, but the only way to stop that is to unplug the cable modem from the wall.

Then you have to deal with cable TV..::shudder::

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just want to know why, why do all these hotties from Sherman, tx want to hook up with me? Strange its only when I'm at home alone on my pc...

----posted maxx'ed out----

ambrown

Reaction score
Here's the best article on google privacy concerns I've read recently:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...d-privacy-policy-affects-you/?tag=epicStories
And cnet.com is really a great site for tech lovers anyway:)

Really, you won't escape your phone gathering some metrics on you even if you were google free. Remember the whole Carrier IQ fiasco? Even those phones/carriers without it tracked info about you with other imbedded software. But going and logging into your google account and opting out of as much sharing as possible helps. Also verizon has an opt-out of info sharing to a degree as well. Just log into your verizon account online and then go to the privacy settings on your account and opt-out of all their sharing that they let you. It's obviously never fool proof, but you can cut down the amount of "sharing" going on. Sadly, being tracked to some degree is a part of modern technology.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

Last edited:

EGEM_MAG_COM

Reaction score
I built my mobile site w google.they aren't going anywhere, any time soon....maybe get a dumb phone lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums