How well does the droid clean after itself?

donerico

Reaction score
As I imagine is the case with most droid users, I am constantly trying out new applications and uninstalling them. Can this eventually lead to system degradation (like in windows machines) or the uninstall completely removes every single trace of the applications?. I am specially concerned about the more intrusive applications like home replacements.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've had no issues with that here....I've installed and uninstalled countless apps and several home replacements....

MPTP

Reaction score
I've often wondered this myself. Apps will occasionally leave crud on the sdcard but installing/uninstalling apps doesn't seem to garble up the internal storage, at least not that I've noticed.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As I imagine is the case with most droid users, I am constantly trying out new applications and uninstalling them. Can this eventually lead to system degradation (like in windows machines) or the uninstall completely removes every single trace of the applications?. I am specially concerned about the more intrusive applications like home replacements.

Darn! And I thought maybe someone had come up with a dusting and vacuuming app! :wacko:

Enter

Reaction score
I've often wondered this myself. Apps will occasionally leave crud on the sdcard but installing/uninstalling apps doesn't seem to garble up the internal storage, at least not that I've noticed.

Yeah the only thing I notice is that it leaves empty folders on the SD card.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score

Fragmentation is what I believe you are referring to. This is not an issue on the Droid since memory is handled virtually and not physically as on a hard drive connected to your Windows PC. In the PC scenario, when you add/remove software, the disk's free space starts to resemble a big chunk of swiss cheese. The system slows down because the read/write head on the hard drive has to move over multiple areas of the disk to pull the information you are looking for. The more fragmentation, the longer it takes the hard drive to respond, making your computer slower.

In the Droid, there are no movable parts to the memory/storage process. Software programs are managed within their own virtual machines meaning that they operate separately and independently. Once they are removed from the phone's memory, more virtual space is now free for your next application.

There are issues such as memory leaks which cause most force close errors, but that's an entirely different issue.

OP
D

donerico

Reaction score

Fragmentation is what I believe you are referring to. This is not an issue on the Droid since memory is handled virtually and not physically as on a hard drive connected to your Windows PC. In the PC scenario, when you add/remove software, the disk's free space starts to resemble a big chunk of swiss cheese. The system slows down because the read/write head on the hard drive has to move over multiple areas of the disk to pull the information you are looking for. The more fragmentation, the longer it takes the hard drive to respond, making your computer slower.

In the Droid, there are no movable parts to the memory/storage process. Software programs are managed within their own virtual machines meaning that they operate separately and independently. Once they are removed from the phone's memory, more virtual space is now free for your next application.

There are issues such as memory leaks which cause most force close errors, but that's an entirely different issue.

No, I am not referring to fragmentation. In windows, unistalled applications often leave behind files, directories, registry keys and other modifications, I am wondering if there is something similar happening in the android OS.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Linux isn't windows. You're fine.

I agree. I think that windows is designed to bog down. Most people solve it by upgrading the OS or buying a new PC. Either way microsoft wins. Linux doesn't have this evil motive. Apps are restricted from reeking havoc. You delete an app and it is gone, though it may leave data on your sd card.

kevin1016

Reaction score
JETSONS+COLOR+6.jpg