How to STAY on 2.1 (rooted) & banish 2.2 Update message. Droid AND Good Custom Roms

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

SpykeZ

Reaction score
lol wifi works on the rooted froyo, I use it on a regular basis, what's broken about it?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
lol wifi works on the rooted froyo, I use it on a regular basis, what's broken about it?

It's the indicator. In 2.1 (rooted) it will register a signal then stay there until I launch a WiFi based app. Like WiFi finder or go into the WiFi settings screen. 2.2 rooted/unrooted. WiFi appears at poor signal in status bar. WiFI app and WiFi settings menu will display Strong signal then poor signal then strong again. Back and forth. WiFi it's self works fine. But the indicator doesn't.

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Slight twist on this - I did the update.zip to FRG22 with root a few weeks ago - now my phone won't stop nagging me about the system update. Every time I accept the update, SPRecovery blocks the update, but within a couple of days, the update notification comes back again.

I'm sorry if I'm an idiot - but I couldn't drag through all these messages - FRG22 is the same as the OTA update, correct? So why does it think my phone isn't up-to-date? How do I make the update message go away for good?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Slight twist on this - I did the update.zip to FRG22 with root a few weeks ago - now my phone won't stop nagging me about the system update. Every time I accept the update, SPRecovery blocks the update, but within a couple of days, the update notification comes back again.

I'm sorry if I'm an idiot - but I couldn't drag through all these messages - FRG22 is the same as the OTA update, correct? So why does it think my phone isn't up-to-date? How do I make the update message go away for good?
FRG01B is the OTA. If your phone reads anything else and doesn't have OTA updates blocked it'll try to push the update onto your phone.

dolpns13

Reaction score
Ive got a rooted 2.2 from 2.1 and also want to keep it rooted. If I allow the install, will it also fail as it does with the 2.1?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ive got a rooted 2.2 from 2.1 and also want to keep it rooted. If I allow the install, will it also fail as it does with the 2.1?
If you have an alternate recovery image, yes. The nag screens won't stop, however. They'll persist every couple of days. Your best bet is to try another ROM.

dolpns13

Reaction score
If you have an alternate recovery image, yes. The nag screens won't stop, however. They'll persist every couple of days. Your best bet is to try another ROM.

Thanks! Any advice on other ROM's to use?

drk1

Reaction score
FYI,
MotoDroid manually updated to Froyo2.2 with 2.6.32.9Pierce@MDW #212 Kernel build # FRF84B On 8/15.
The phone has CWM ROM Manager running.
I started getting the OTA notification window every 30 minutes as well.
For grins, I finally allowed the "OTA Update". The phone shutdown, rebooted, got the Triangle/Exclamation point. The phone rebooted on it's own again and started fine.

"About Phone" still has the same everything as it did prior to the OTA update.
And I'm not seeing the Update notification now.

YMMV

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

CyanogenMOD 6 RC-3, Sapphire, Simply Stunning 4.7 come to mind immediately. There are others. LithiumMOD I believe has them blocked. Pretty much all of the source-built ROMs should have the OTAs blocked, but only if the coder really understands what they're doing. Not all do, unfortunately.

My money's on CM6, but that's because it was the first ROM I tried (other than a rooted stock 2.1 a la Pete) that didn't send me into fits instantly. I'm very picky. :) If you'd ever eaten anything I've cooked, you'd understand why.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

CyanogenMOD 6 RC-3, Sapphire, Simply Stunning 4.7 come to mind immediately. There are others. LithiumMOD I believe has them blocked. Pretty much all of the source-built ROMs should have the OTAs blocked, but only if the coder really understands what they're doing. Not all do, unfortunately.

My money's on CM6, but that's because it was the first ROM I tried (other than a rooted stock 2.1 a la Pete) that didn't send me into fits instantly. I'm very picky. :) If you'd ever eaten anything I've cooked, you'd understand why.

Once I get my replacement Droid in October. I think I want to try a 2.2 rom OR 2.1 rom out. I've had stock 2.1 and 2.2 rooted. What would you advise? Thanks

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint

Once I get my replacement Droid in October. I think I want to try a 2.2 rom OR 2.1 rom out. I've had stock 2.1 and 2.2 rooted. What would you advise? Thanks
2.2 FTW. All of the above ROMs are 2.2, so you really can't go wrong unless the interface bugs you. That was my problem with Bugless Beast. Drove me nuts in less than 5 minutes and I couldn't wait to flash back. CM has a very stock-like feel to it at first, which eases transition, but it has so many features and options and optimizations that your jaw might drop.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

2.2 FTW. All of the above ROMs are 2.2, so you really can't go wrong unless the interface bugs you. That was my problem with Bugless Beast. Drove me nuts in less than 5 minutes and I couldn't wait to flash back. CM has a very stock-like feel to it at first, which eases transition, but it has so many features and options and optimizations that your jaw might drop.

I like the Stock feel. But I;m getting tired of the feel of the Android OS. What ROM is good for people like me who don't want to loose and features or settings from stock but want a better experience?