How to STAY on 2.1 (rooted) & banish 2.2 Update message. Droid AND Good Custom Roms

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Kangerade is 2.2 only. Most of the ROMs you'll run across anymore are 2.2. You might find some 2.1 versions of Bugless Beast kicking around, or Simply Stunning, and maybe even Ultimate Droid somewhere.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I decided to go with Kangerade 5.0.9 ROM. So far so good. I have the blue themed one. I like it but I feel like breaking out with Effel 65's 90's hit "Blue Da Ba Dee". A bit too much blue. But my WiFi works which is a twist on an ongoing issue.

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That's good. I may also have been wrong with Kangerade being 2.2 only. The 5.0.9 is eerily similar to CyanogenMod 5.0.8 and since to kang is to "steal" code... :) If it's working, and you're happy, that's the important part.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
That's good. I may also have been wrong with Kangerade being 2.2 only. The 5.0.9 is eerily similar to CyanogenMod 5.0.8 and since to kang is to "steal" code... :) If it's working, and you're happy, that's the important part.

He stole the source code to CM? Thanks. Kangerade isn't perfect. But atleast it's a working 2.2 for me.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Now I have an issue with Kangerade 5.0.9. It's 2.2 but not 2.2 as Google seems to want to send 2.2 Froyo to my phone. Plus the new Google Search/Command will not install. Stating "Manual Install Is Required". I'm confused.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think the author credits the CyanogenMod team for the code he used. Since it's open-source that's all that's required to keep people happy. The whole Ultimate Droid flap was over him denying he used CM code and when a dump was taken from his ROM there was code in it clearly signed by Cyanogen himself. He's never apologized for that.

Anyway, check the build number -- if it isn't FRG01B you'll get update notices. And in order to get the new Google Voice Search installed you have to manually remove the old one with either ADB or a terminal emulator. I posted the instructions over in the Koush sub-forum on how to do it from within CM 6 RC-3.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I think the author credits the CyanogenMod team for the code he used. Since it's open-source that's all that's required to keep people happy. The whole Ultimate Droid flap was over him denying he used CM code and when a dump was taken from his ROM there was code in it clearly signed by Cyanogen himself. He's never apologized for that.

Anyway, check the build number -- if it isn't FRG01B you'll get update notices. And in order to get the new Google Voice Search installed you have to manually remove the old one with either ADB or a terminal emulator. I posted the instructions over in the Koush sub-forum on how to do it from within CM 6 RC-3.

On mine it just says "Build Number: Froyo Kangerade v5.0.9"

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

Could you provide me with a link. I searched but am clueless how to find it.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

I don't know how to use ADB Shell and only can use the Terminal Emulator with instructions. But Nothing is working. I tried to remove the files I must be doing something wrong.

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm -f /system/app/VoiceSearch.apk
pm uninstall com.google.android.voicesearch
rm -f /system/app/GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
pm uninstall com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
P1010772.jpg

joegt123

Reaction score
Okay, I have no experience in this, but I don't want to update to 2.2 because of numerous reports of various apps and features and such not working properly. I'll most likely update when these issues are fixed, but until then, is there a simple way to get the update box to shut up?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay, I have no experience in this, but I don't want to update to 2.2 because of numerous reports of various apps and features and such not working properly. I'll most likely update when these issues are fixed, but until then, is there a simple way to get the update box to shut up?

There's only one way. Root and install a ROM that blocks the OTA.

I don't know what apps and features you're referring to, but as far as I'm aware there's only one that's persistent and that has something to do with Exchange. A lot of things got moved around and changed, but they're still there (with a couple of exceptions).

But hey, if you want 2.1 you want 2.1. Only way to stop that nag screen is to root and install a ROM that blocks the OTA.

joegt123

Reaction score
Like I said, no experience. I don't know what rom or ota is >>

As for the apps and features, my mothers phone, for one, has gone insane once just after the update, eliminating some of her music and ringtones and scrambling others. As for apps, things like ringtone services and a task killer. A few games as well don't work well with 2.2. Granted, these are probably more the fault of the apps, but I still just want this thing to stfu until these issues...aren't.

Links and or a short walkthrough would be appreciated. (For the rom thing, that is.)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Like I said, no experience. I don't know what rom or ota is >>

As for the apps and features, my mothers phone, for one, has gone insane once just after the update, eliminating some of her music and ringtones and scrambling others. As for apps, things like ringtone services and a task killer. A few games as well don't work well with 2.2. Granted, these are probably more the fault of the apps, but I still just want this thing to stfu until these issues...aren't.

Links and or a short walkthrough would be appreciated. (For the rom thing, that is.)

The rooting I'll leave up to you because nobody should attempt it without knowing what they're doing, why they're doing it, or what could go wrong. There are a lot of guides over in the hacking help section if you want to go look.

As for the other, it sounds like your mother got a bad OTA push/install. There've been a LOT of those going around, despite the number of times it was said that manually installing the update was safer. You might be able to solve some of her issues by doing a simple recovery install with a file I can link you to (and be her hero), but if all else fails the phone needs to go back to Verizon.

Also, task killers are a bad idea on ANY version of Android. Google has come out and said as much. Under FroYo specifically, any of them will cause lag, force closes, etc. etc. They don't play with the OS, which has its own task killer installed.