WiFi issues with ROOTED Froyo. Droid 1

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I've done this once already, but just to be anal, I'm going to wipe everything (including adb boot/system/data/cache), then flash the 2.0.1 .sbf file (I know this makes the first step redundant), test it on 2.0.1, then update to 2.1, and test it again there (with no root), and see again, for sure.

xmguy, out of curiosity, when did you buy your phone?

Bought mine in May. I think. I had to get a reconditioned one because of camera issues though.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I'd say it's an issue with the stock 2.2 code. It's a bug that should have been quashed, but probably got overlooked. Glitches like that are annoyances, little more, as long as you're working with a known strong signal -- unless you start dropping connections. My phone usually shows higher signal strength than it should, unless I'm using the WiFi scanner program I downloaded from the Market. Of course, I almost never have access to a WiFi network to connect to.

I don't think the root access has anything to do with it. The thing to do would be to see if it happens across a sampling of 2.2-based ROMs compared to a sampling of 2.1-based ROMs. However, that might take days. :) Since this is a short-term project, I'd say your best bet would be to get a baseline for the problem with a stock-root ROM (you have) and then compare it to at least four source-built ROMs of varying custom code levels. If the problem is endemic than it could be a hardware incompatibility with the "improved" WiFi code in 2.2. If it's not then you know it's the stock code causing the problem.

I think you're right about it being a problem with the code, since the signal reports accurately in the settings, just not in the bar... though I didn't even notice it was an issue in 2.1 until xmguy pointed out exactly what it was doing. However, this definitely has not been a short term project. I've been testing this since the first Froyo leak. So that includes the "stock" leaks from p3, Sapphire .8.4 and 1.0 (source), Simply Stunning 4.5(maybe 4?) and above (again, source), UD 5,6,7, metiCkOne, Kangerade. I need to try CM and see what happens there.

I don't think it's endemic, but who's to say for sure unless I grab a Droid that doesn't do this and see if it holds the wifi signal any better than mine, which is typically decent anyway. Since I mainly use wifi at home, it's (like you said) a small bother more than anything else, as I know my wifi signal. But if I traveled a lot, it would be annoying, b/c the signal reporting would be unreliable. However, xmguy, and now Metalunna, are the only ones I've ever come across that have the same issue... so it's very weird, but not widespread.

edit: lol... well I've gone and flashed 2.0.1 and evidently Verizon's activation system is down for overnight updates or whatever they do late at night... I should know better! So now I'm definitely done until tomorrow. :)

You CAN MANUALLY program your phone. Dial ##PROGRAM. Enter SIX ZEROS go to "User Activation". Enter your number in the "MIN and MDN area. If you KNOW your Cell Site ID enter at bottom. Even if incorrect. If the phone "THINKS" it's activated it will bypass the /\ Activation system. I had to do it recently.

Metalunna

Reaction score
Something new..
I added a 2nd AP to my network today (to get rid of some dead spots).

The indicator on the status bar still showed 0 bars when connected to the new AP.

I started playing around with the channels and when I went back to test the Droid, the WIFI indicator was working.

SETUP:
Original AP was on Channel 5
New AP on 3
(Indicator broken)

I started reading about WIFI channels and even though half of my street is either on 1, 6 or 11, I decided to make one of my APs to 1 and the other to 11. This way I could avoid any channel crossing. The other APs on my street are far enough away to ease my mind and not worry about too much cross talk.
Anyway...thats not the issue.....

Well, once I put the channels to 1 and 11, I noticed the WIFI bar started to work.

I then shut down the new AP and switched the old AP back to 5. WIFI indicator STILL worked.

Since my devices seem to play nicer on channels 1 and 11 anyway, I switched them back to 1 and 11. Indicator still working.

Ill keep an eye on it and let you know

Metalunna

Reaction score
GOT IT NAILED..For me anyway

It has to do with SSID broadcast.

I turn it OFF and the indicator does not work
I turn it on and it works.

Does this match anyone else who is having a problem?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

My SSID broadcast is off. I turned it on. No difference.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I have a new video of using Kangerade 5.0.9 Froyo. WiFi signal levels (except for status bar) work PERFECT. Where Stock Froyo from Google or rooted Froyo by Pete would not work.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
is your ssid still on xmguy? or did you turn it back off and it's still working on kangerade?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
is your ssid still on xmguy? or did you turn it back off and it's still working on kangerade?

The Settings menu and any wifi app will reflect the correct signal levels. The top bar or status bar shows no or one bar of signal. SSID on or off.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

going to test tonight, though it sounds like it didn't work for xmguy...

I've never broadcasted my SSID (even though I posted screenshots of it on this thread... lol), but i just logged in and switched it to broadcast, so we'll see when I get home.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

emwhite81

Reaction score
I was having the same issues as the OP. I just received 2.2 OTA and never rooted my phone before. I checked my wife's phone and she was having the same issue.

I tried what Metalunna suggested and it "fixed" my WIFI issue! Thanks!

So I assume the 2.1 issue with connecting to hidden SSID's was fixed in 2.2 but it broke it at the same time. I was using Hidden SSID enabler with 2.1 but it doesn't make a difference in 2.2.

So I guess I will have to "deal" with the issue until a new OTA update is released.