How to ruin a perfectly good S5 (hint - Lollipop)

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
No. Setting doesn't reveal any backup function. I've looked for it everywhere but it's not there.

Attachments

• no.backup.png
    no.backup.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 262

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I apologize, apparently that is a feature of their note everything pro add-on.

I just installed the app and this is what I discovered... You can export your notes to the sd card. The notes are saved to the device's internal sd card in the folder noteeverything/text. You can save the entire "note everything" folder to your external sd cards or to a PC, dropbox or flash drive, etc.

See...

5ddfe98edf79bfc0eb181f47c5002345.jpg

ac2b2200a2bc6e7536796f6987582e31.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Why don't I have any of those settings?? I'm using the same app, no?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
@ Bluesman2008, the screenshots I posted are from the free version of Note Everything. The paid version has an automatic backup feature.

The menu options in the screenshots are from the app's home page, where all your notes are listed. The menu in your screenshot is when you have a note open (to write or edit).
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: cr6
Reaction score
I came in here with the same battery issues as the OP.
Hoping to see "oh you can turn this off and it will be good as new"

My battery used to last almost 3 days. With the first update, only two.
NOW? with the new patch? one and a half days.

Oh AND all my old chargers used to work. Now the car charger in my Jeep won't work at all. Phone says to use a Samsung charger. NOW since the patch, when I hook up the charger in my truck, the phone says "Slow charging mode. To get faster charging, use a Samsung charger." SERIOUSLY?

Makes me second guess buying another Samsung product.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
@thetastelingers, I also get the same notification when using other charges but they do still work, just not as fast as the one Samsung provided (but close enough).

You may have to do a factory data reset to get your phone back to "normal." But before you do that, because it involves erasing everything on your phone, try clearing your partition cache. Everything will still remain the same except it gets rid of all the background/incompatible junk.

To clear the partition cache, power your phone down. Go into recovery mode by holding volume up, power and home button until it turns on with the recovery menu. Use your volume buttons to select "clear partition cache" or "wipe partition cache." Make sure you don't select factory data reset. Once clear or wipe is selected, use the power button to activate.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

Reaction score
@thetastelingers, I also get the same notification when using other charges but they do still work, just not as fast as the one Samsung provided (but close enough).

You may have to do a factory data reset to get your phone back to "normal." But before you do that, because it involves erasing everything on your phone, try clearing your partition cache. Everything will still remain the same except it gets rid of all the background/incompatible junk.

To clear the partition cache, power your phone down. Go into recovery mode by holding volume up, power and home button until it turns on with the recovery menu. Use your volume buttons to select "clear partition cache" or "wipe partition cache." Make sure you don't select factory data reset. Once clear or wipe is selected, use the power button to activate.

Thanks for all the information. I remember doing that when the first round of updates came out. :)

So yesterday I turn off smart stay and today the phone is acting like it did before the latest update. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but worth a mention.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks @thetastelingers for the update! Definitely worth a mention. It may also be helpful to someone with similar problems.

BigBrownLog

Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky with my GS5 with lolipop. I've had no problems at all. Still looking for a backup method that saves DATA and text files as well as apps. Apps I can get any time time but not text files and other data. But I haven't noticed much change in battery use going from the GS4 to the 5 with lolipop.

Here's a great option for your text backups. I have been using "Handcent" for many years now and I love it. You can backup all your texts MS and SMS and the settings you have. When you get a new phone or FDR your phone you can install the app, sign in and download. it will look as if you never got a new phone or reset one

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Yeah Lollipop ruined my s5 as well. It is slower, screen freezes all the time, and tons of storage problems.

You can try wiping your device and factory restoring but didn't work for me. Even a totally clean install of Lollipop on a completely wiped phone doesn't work properly.

You should also note that google backup didn't backup any of my new contacts that were added recently so I lost contacts in the process of doing this.

BigBrownLog

Reaction score
A lot of S5 owners have experienced problems with the lollipop update. A FDR fixed some, but some folks here & there have still experienced minor problems like less than stellar battery life than what they had on KK.
5.1 currently being released across the main carrier's and its also helping. Hang in there @deserrat28 , this really is a great device and I'd hate to have you give up on it! (Though I understand your simply needing a device that works) I rooted mine a year ago the day after I got it, and have been extremely happy with my bug free KitKat running 4.4.4
Good luck, hopefully another full FDR and/or the 5.1 update will get you fixed up.
Let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

S5 tap'n

cr6 can you point me in the direction of how you put kitkat 4.4.4 back on your phone? I've been wanting to do this for a while and I have 2 S5's so I can get by if i jack it up. Verizon tells me you can't go back to kitkat but I called them on their BS and said I'll figure it out ans screw you.