Chrome ruining battery after Lollipop update

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
I disabled it anyway early this morning :0

This was after I tried our "uninstall the updates" idea which unfortunately did not help the battery consumption....

I've turned webview back on now, but not in time to notice that my phone hasn't gone to sleep for even 2 seconds today! And the culprit? I bet you can guess before you look at my screenshot :confused::confused:

I can't guess whether or not me disabling webview and this new Chrome 'stay awake' problem are related but... there you go. Maybe you have some more ideas I can try :cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-29-13-11-47.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-29-13-11-47.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To answer your other question about Android Webview, if you start having buggy apps try uninstall AWV update and take it back to factory version. That has helped tremendously on Note4s that got lollipop

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Looks like there is an update for both Chrome and Webview today... let's see if it helps me at all

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
No luck :'(

While this doesn't help me when I'm actually using Chrome - I've discovered that if I close all tabs when I'm finished browsing, it stops consuming battery in the background and behaves itself. Until I open Chrome the next time, of course :confused:

I have also confirmed that the battery use has nothing to do with Imgur. I restarted my phone and then browsed other sites - facebook, some online banking, various message boards & wiki pages - just as bad on the battery as an Imgur session.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
No luck :'(

While this doesn't help me when I'm actually using Chrome - I've discovered that if I close all tabs when I'm finished browsing, it stops consuming battery in the background and behaves itself. Until I open Chrome the next time, of course :confused:

I have also confirmed that the battery use has nothing to do with Imgur. I restarted my phone and then browsed other sites - facebook, some online banking, various message boards & wiki pages - just as bad on the battery as an Imgur session.

Hmm..so there is something happening when Chrome is opened at all. This leads me to believe it might still be a syncing issue. I forgot to ask: Did you ever go to Settings > Accounts > Google > *your google email address* and tried turning of Google Chrome? If it is a syncing issue, I'm curious to see why.

EDIT: Whoops hit post WAAAAAy to early. Standby for real post.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
You did have me try to turn the sync off. It is still turned off now, in fact

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Alrighty. One last thing to try: Disable Chrome entirely then restart your phone then re-enable Chrome.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
K let me try. Maybe she needs another FDR if this doesn't work lol -_-

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Well that seems to have reduced the rate of consumption but I still have to constantly close all tabs otherwise my phone never goes to sleep :/

Or, it does sleep but somehow Chrome still is draining the battery... I dunno

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Well that seems to have reduced the rate of consumption but I still have to constantly close all tabs otherwise my phone never goes to sleep :/

Or, it does sleep but somehow Chrome still is draining the battery... I dunno

Oi. I hate sticky issues like this where the root cause is obvious, but the fix is not so. I'd give this a post on Google Groups and get it noted to see if there is some other troubleshooting they can do that isn't something we've already done. I'd disable it for now and use another browser for the time being.

Battery Drain Lollipop LRX21O - UPDATE - Pg. 9 Google Nexus 5 XDA Forums

I took a look around XDA just to research it. The theory the gentlemen above has is that it may be something to do with Wi-fi and Chrome as the battery drain lessened when he was on Mobile Data (I don't remember if I asked you so forgive me if I'm repeating). Everybody on here, of course, says to use a different browser for now. I know, not a solution, but it looks like something Google may need to fix.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Oi. I hate sticky issues like this where the root cause is obvious, but the fix is not so. I'd give this a post on Google Groups and get it noted to see if there is some other troubleshooting they can do that isn't something we've already done. I'd disable it for now and use another browser for the time being.

Battery Drain Lollipop LRX21O - UPDATE - Pg. 9 Google Nexus 5 XDA Forums

I took a look around XDA just to research it. The theory the gentlemen above has is that it may be something to do with Wi-fi and Chrome as the battery drain lessened when he was on Mobile Data (I don't remember if I asked you so forgive me if I'm repeating). Everybody on here, of course, says to use a different browser for now. I know, not a solution, but it looks like something Google may need to fix.
I would like to see him try a different browser for a few days just to see if it's any browser that causes.

I feel there is either a bug within the install of chrome itself or something trying to sync or download via chrome/the web.

I'm not saying to use a different browser indefinitely but for the sake of troubleshooting let's go there. This could be related to a number of things data wise that are just hanging out there but blaming chrome as the culprit.

Note 4Tified

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I would try and restore the device software at this point! It sounds like something is definitely a miss. I know it's a pain, but if it does fix it...would be worth it! Download Kies3 and backup if necessary, then RESET and initialize. If it's Verizon, use the SUA software to repair.

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
An update - at your guys' suggestion I have been using Samsung's built in browser which has been much nicer to the battery.

Not sure what to do long term though, as I would like Chrome back. Maybe I will FDR again or maybe I'll look in to getting root and try a newer version of lollipop.