Missing a Lollipop 5.1 Feature

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
As some of you may know I'm a late adopter of Lollipop. I enjoyed the phone immensely on KitKat, but finally caved in and updated a couple weeks ago. I did a fair amount of research about new features, issues etc. before and after updating. I learned that Lollipop 5.x introduced Guest Mode and Multi-User support. However, Motorola/Verizon chose to not include it on the Droid Turbo. Read more here:

Motorola Left Out Guest Mode and Multi-User Support in Your DROID Turbo's Lollipop Update | Droid Life

Although I doubt I would use it much, if at all, it makes me wonder why it was not included. The Droid Turbo is described as a "near stock" Android offering. Anyone else find this odd? Would you have liked to have this option included?

1coopgt

Reaction score
No one but me uses my phone so I could care less about Guest mode being missing .

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Moto X 2014 is also missing Guest Mode. Maybe there is something that interferes with that and one if the custom Moto features? I would never use it anyway, so I am not missing it. But there must be a reason that two Moto phones did not incorporate that feature.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
TDL1068

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I doubt I'd use it either, but it just makes me wonder why it was left out.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
No use for it since I can do Screen Pinning. I can pin my son's Lego game while he plays so it doesn't close on him if the hits the wrong thing.
Pretty much all I needed.
Not sure even what scenario I would ever use Guest Mode for.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Was that a 5.1 feature? I thought that came with 5.0.1 to my Nexus 7 tablet. It doesn't exist on my Note 4 either though. Are there any phones that have the guest mode? I would think I'd be more likely to be out somewhere and have someone ask to borrow my phone to check something and want to toss it in guest mode so they can without messing with my stuff than I would be with my tablet.

But then again, my tablet is basically a glorified e-reader that's always at home too...

OP
TDL1068

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Was that a 5.1 feature? I thought that came with 5.0.1 to my Nexus 7 tablet. It doesn't exist on my Note 4 either though. Are there any phones that have the guest mode? I would think I'd be more likely to be out somewhere and have someone ask to borrow my phone to check something and want to toss it in guest mode so they can without messing with my stuff than I would be with my tablet.

But then again, my tablet is basically a glorified e-reader that's always at home too...
The mode may have come earlier than 5.1. My reference to 5.1 was for the Droid Turbo only since that is the only version of Lollipop we received.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It was originally a tablet thing in JB. It wasn't GUEST mode though, it was having multiple accounts setup.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is straight from the Android Lollipop features website:

Device Sharing:

More flexible sharing with family and friends

Multiple users for phones. If you forget your phone, you still can call any of your friends (or access any of your messages, photos etc.) by simply logging into another Android phone running Lollipop. Also perfect for families who want to share a phone, but not their stuff.

Guest user for phones and tablets means you can lend your device and not your info.

Screen pinning: pin your screen so another user can access just that content without messing with your other stuff.