How to root an X2?

TK40

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a HOWTO or good write up on rooting the X2?
Thanks.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I would think you would use Z4root 1.3 like on the X1 since they are pretty much the same phone.
Not 100% sure though.

Terri M

Reaction score
I would think you would use Z4root 1.3 like on the X1 since they are pretty much the same phone.
Not 100% sure though.

Z4root doesn't work with th X2.
Use the Gingerbreak.apk to root the X2.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'll be rec. a brandy-new X2 soon -and have no desire to enjoy the bloat - even for a littl while - I believe it will arrive w/ FroYo 2.2 - is there a specific path I should choose prior to activation to get a solid root - might it be easier to do so from the git-go?
Thank you in advance:)

DROOIID

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'll be rec. a brandy-new X2 soon -and have no desire to enjoy the bloat - even for a littl while - I believe it will arrive w/ FroYo 2.2 - is there a specific path I should choose prior to activation to get a solid root - might it be easier to do so from the git-go?

Nope. Rooting will keep everything the same on the surface, until you change stuff. I would recommend staying stock for a few days and read up on rooting, roms, and kernels.

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score

Nope. Rooting will keep everything the same on the surface, until you change stuff. I would recommend staying stock for a few days and read up on rooting, roms, and kernels.

Thank you sir for the quick response - tho by no means a seasoned vet, i have a couple months of a rooted D1 and several roms/kernals under my belt - learnd quite a bit - (the hard way) mostly want to be sure i can get tether if need be while i'm out n about -actually have read quite a bit too - just - asking directly in case there is something pertinent i missed (w/ all the info out here...)..

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score
hoping someone can help

Well, took your suggstion and played stock a few days - yesterday - i took the plunge - Gingerbreak was one-click flawless - - and all was well until--:-( - hoping someone can help -
I took my time and read till my eyes could take no more - literally all day -
prepared a new blank card - downloadd the free versions of everything i should Titainium - etc. -created a back up -donated.. took care to select which apps to freeze -(a pared down list from the one posted elswhere) -The phone still works great/smooth/fast - but -I'm missing apps - Mail - (all my aolz are missing -as is hotmail- 2 gmails and yahoo intact - Messeging - voicemail -Browser!...The msg on the dockbar opens and shuts down immediatly - tho messeging does work if i rec/. one -- all the above - when pressed on homescreen pop a msg tht reads the app is not installed--
I don't think i know what Im doing w/ Titainium- unfroze everything - and still the above are missing
Back min t the cyanodaze - i would often have an issuse w/ a missing gapps -could this be a similar situation?

would really appreciate someone in the know giving me a call - this medium is not my communication forte--

I've reached out for help - i must be missing something in the protocol/Netiquette -cuz 0-- i can't seem to drum up --back-up - fellow enthusiasts--anyone??

Thank you sir for the quick response - tho by no means a seasoned vet, i have a couple months of a rooted D1 and several roms/kernals under my belt - learnd quite a bit - (the hard way) mostly want to be sure i can get tether if need be while i'm out n about -actually have read quite a bit too - just - asking directly in case there is something pertinent i missed (w/ all the info out here...)..

Reaction score
Well, took your suggstion and played stock a few days - yesterday - i took the plunge - Gingerbreak was one-click flawless - - and all was well until--:-( - hoping someone can help -
I took my time and read till my eyes could take no more - literally all day -
prepared a new blank card - downloadd the free versions of everything i should Titainium - etc. -created a back up -donated.. took care to select which apps to freeze -(a pared down list from the one posted elswhere) -The phone still works great/smooth/fast - but -I'm missing apps - Mail - (all my aolz are missing -as is hotmail- 2 gmails and yahoo intact - Messeging - voicemail -Browser!...The msg on the dockbar opens and shuts down immediatly - tho messeging does work if i rec/. one -- all the above - when pressed on homescreen pop a msg tht reads the app is not installed--
I don't think i know what Im doing w/ Titainium- unfroze everything - and still the above are missing
Back min t the cyanodaze - i would often have an issuse w/ a missing gapps -could this be a similar situation?

would really appreciate someone in the know giving me a call - this medium is not my communication forte--

I've reached out for help - i must be missing something in the protocol/Netiquette -cuz 0-- i can't seem to drum up --back-up - fellow enthusiasts--anyone??

maybe it has something to do with motoblur?

JerseyFrankU

Reaction score
rebooted since unfreezing And >Underscore_Hero

Have you rebooted since unfreezing apps?

yessir -xtntedly held the power and pulled the batt...
I believe i mentioned b4 - not sure - still bleary and need to leave 4 work - that - it's prob (hopefully?) something i dont get about TB -
was careful to not 'freeze' anything motoblur -am in the proccess of deleting
Also sync to dropbox - sooo slow it looks like a freeze - holds at 6-7% - seems mto be working - the alternate browser i downloadd just popped upa s synced onmy desktop....

MikeJ92YJ

Reaction score
I Know That I Have To Restart The Launcher (I'm Using ADW) Every Time I Install, Delete, Or Freeze With TiBu To Refresh The App Drawer And Show The Icon(s) Or Remove Them.

Wongway

Reaction score
Does noone bother to root the long hard way anymore?

I remember awhile ago, one of the benefits of rooting the hard way was that you would always keep it regardless of updates.

Wouldn't stuff like Gingerbreak be susceptible to failing if/when the phone is updated?

Snow02

Reaction score
Does noone bother to root the long hard way anymore?

I remember awhile ago, one of the benefits of rooting the hard way was that you would always keep it regardless of updates.

Wouldn't stuff like Gingerbreak be susceptible to failing if/when the phone is updated?

There is no other way to root the X2 except for using gingerbreak.