How to reduce your phone from spying on you...

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It seems like every new OS update introduces more & more "location" based settings and almost every app has some kind location based access these days. Everyone wants to know exactly where we are all day every day...just so they can tell us that something we don't really need is on sale right next to us in hopes that we buy it. I guess we have to accept the world we live in...everyone's trying to make a profit!

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
The Freakiest of App fine print permissions -
When it states it can turn on your camera at will w/o your permission. Whoa.

I've put a full stop at going to Google App Store. Everything is invasion based.
Coming from iPhone prior - I never saw any of this. Other than Google Map.
Then going through all your apps & turning off everything - Pita.
Seeing data plan getting chunked away in the night - Not Cool.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Trust me, Apple & your iPhone spied on you just as much. They are just better at hiding it from their customers. It's not Google or Apple you need to worry about, (well, not as much) it's your govt & the NSA, but I digress.

tap'n on my S5

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This hasn't scared me for a couple years now. I think maybe a few years ago there was some real paranoia by the general public about constantly being tracked, but that's kinda died down from what I've seen. Nowadays I think many accept the fact that we are under constant watch by "big brother" and that we can only do so much to stay "offline".

Ask just about anyone with a smartphone whether they'd give it up or not because some personal information may leak, they probably won't. The smartphone has become such an essential part of everyday life that we can't ever imagine going back to a life without it. Heck, we got people coming up with games to put down your smartphone during social gatherings.

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Spied on or not - the constant barrage of apps doing crap in the background is huge compared to iPhone.
Try limited data plan and then you'll see.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spied on or not - the constant barrage of apps doing crap in the background is huge compared to iPhone.
Try limited data plan and then you'll see.
Go into your phone settings and turn off location services and auto sync under account settings.
One of the bugaboos about being able to do more is the ability to be able to do more has its drawbacks.
Evidently you were using different apps on ios because in my short stint with an iPad I had more push services I had to manually turn off on it, by far, than I've ever had with Android.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Neoart

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4 White SCH1545
Go into your phone settings and turn off location services and auto sync under account settings.

Evidently you were using different apps on ios because in my short stint with an iPad I had more push services I had to manually turn off on it, by far, than I've ever had with Android.

Right - we're aware of turning stuff off - but what's included on Android is hugely invasive different than what's on iPhone or their pads.
My iPad - is set to WIFI only - after I learned how AT&T funds an empire over 3G.

One switch on iPhone can stop kill all apps - then allow 1,2 etc. like mail.
Myself - I have to go through every app on Droid to make sure.
Or go to airplane mode for wifi only.

Load in any game apps -
played once -you're doomed.

Luckily - the very few games I have on devices don't have any background nonsense like XPlane. I have never seen one alert.
Cheers