What weird experiences you had with Samsung/Apple/Android Pay

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
samsung-pay-vs-android-pay-vs-apple-pay.jpg

Most of the time when I have used either Samsung or Android Pay I have been met with shock that their system worked with phone payments. But we are seeing more companies adopt the payment system, especially in larger cities.

Reading on AC about some of the horror stories, I always found myself concerned about what would happen if I used this in a rural area that are not familiar with the technology. What experiences have you had with Pay that were either good or bad?

Any of you had the cops called on you?

Source: Samsung Pay: The greatest challenge for universal mobile payments isn't the technology

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There are only a few places in my town that I've been able to use Android Pay. At Walgreen's and McDonald's, they haven't seemed to care at all.

At Subway...The first time I used it, I had seen the sign saying they accepted it as I entered, so I told her I wanted to pay with it. She told me they didn't do that and I referred her to the sign on the door saying that they did. She figured it out pretty quickly. The next time, that same girl was still there, but wasn't the one to ring me up. She had to explain to the person who did ring me up that they have to hit the credit card button for it to activate the card scanner that sits on the counter next to the register and the scanner handles the rest. The most recent time, that same girl was there again, but not my cashier. I told the girl ringing me up that I needed her to press the credit card button on the machine. She was confused, but did as I asked. When I held my phone to the scanner and it went through, she freaked out. "OMG! No way! Did you see that!? He just paid with his phone!" I had to explain to her that that other girl already knew all about it. Haha!

That's the only real significant experience I've had with it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
As far as Android pay...my entire phone has shut down making some weird chiming noise..but The transaction went through?? Great to know. this was at CVS...

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
CVS here doesn't allow Android pay, only Apple pay.

I've used it at subway and best buy as a test. No real world advantage for me since it's quicker to grab my card from the wallet and not many places take it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There actually are quite a few places down here that take it..strange...I think it's because there are so many Apple users. Which is annoying..it tells me that no matter how far advanced Android is...we will be limited by apples adaptation of of our tech...like Apple pay...2 years late to the game..but wow...they think they're so clever lol..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
CVS here doesn't allow Android pay, only Apple pay.

I've used it at subway and best buy as a test. No real world advantage for me since it's quicker to grab my card from the wallet and not many places take it.

Hmm thought they used the same tech. Everywhere that took Apple Pay I was able to use Android Pay.

But at times you are right, the time it takes to get your phone positioned right and hope it recognizes you may as well grab your card, especially if it fails. I'll say that Android Pay seems more consistent that Samsung Pay. Still I will admit that if the machine reads it right when you scan it then it is as fast as grabbing your wallet, especially since for most of us our phones are already in our hands.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I thought the same thing PC. I thought it was supposed to be possible to use either anywhere that accepted one because the tech is essentially the same for each.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this point, I find Android pay to work faster than my chip card.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Works faster and more consistent than Samsung pay. Be nice if Samsung opened it up to other devices but that would be cutting their own limb off being it gives them an advantage over the competition's pay services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
At this point, I find Android pay to work faster than my chip card.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It will because it doesn't need to talk back to the issuing Bank to get the authentication hand shake.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
@ Starbucks one day, Samsung pay payment kept getting rejected. It was weird. Got coffee at Tim Horton's a couple days later and paid with Samsung Pay without issue.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@ Starbucks one day, Samsung pay payment kept getting rejected. It was weird. Got coffee at Tim Horton's a couple days later and paid with Samsung Pay without issue.

That is where I rate Samsung Pay below Android Pay, it is inconsistent. I use Sam Pay at Publix a lot and today I used it at the UPS store with no issue and like 10 mins later got a card read error at Publix.

Android Pay had that issue early on and has gotten much better. I have rarely had an issue with Android Pay other than making sure my phone was positioned right.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The biggest issue I've had with Android Pay other than having to train the folks at Subway how to accept it is finding the sensor on their terminal with the NFC chip in my phone. I'm still not exactly sure where the sensor is on their card machine. I just slide my phone around on it until it beeps. I know where the chip is in my phone.