How to reduce your phone from spying on you...

Discussion in 'Droid Forums Member News Depot' started by dgstorm, Jul 17, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

We couldn't embed the video from this story into a thread, so we decided to just share the story with a link here for users to check out. If you are concerned about "the bad guys" (whomever that may be to you) spying on you, then this video may be worth watching.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2014/jul/16/phone-snooping-how-to-stop-video
  2. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

It seems like every new OS update introduces more & more "location" based settings and almost every app has some kind location based access these days. Everyone wants to know exactly where we are all day every day...just so they can tell us that something we don't really need is on sale right next to us in hopes that we buy it. I guess we have to accept the world we live in...everyone's trying to make a profit!
  3. Neoart

Neoart Member

The Freakiest of App fine print permissions -
    When it states it can turn on your camera at will w/o your permission. Whoa.

I've put a full stop at going to Google App Store. Everything is invasion based.
    Coming from iPhone prior - I never saw any of this. Other than Google Map.
    Then going through all your apps & turning off everything - Pita.
    Seeing data plan getting chunked away in the night - Not Cool.
  4. cr6

cr6 DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Trust me, Apple & your iPhone spied on you just as much. They are just better at hiding it from their customers. It's not Google or Apple you need to worry about, (well, not as much) it's your govt & the NSA, but I digress.

tap'n on my S5
  5. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

This hasn't scared me for a couple years now. I think maybe a few years ago there was some real paranoia by the general public about constantly being tracked, but that's kinda died down from what I've seen. Nowadays I think many accept the fact that we are under constant watch by "big brother" and that we can only do so much to stay "offline".

Ask just about anyone with a smartphone whether they'd give it up or not because some personal information may leak, they probably won't. The smartphone has become such an essential part of everyday life that we can't ever imagine going back to a life without it. Heck, we got people coming up with games to put down your smartphone during social gatherings.
    sajokaz likes this.
  6. Neoart

Neoart Member

Spied on or not - the constant barrage of apps doing crap in the background is huge compared to iPhone.
    Try limited data plan and then you'll see.
  7. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Go into your phone settings and turn off location services and auto sync under account settings.
    One of the bugaboos about being able to do more is the ability to be able to do more has its drawbacks.
    Evidently you were using different apps on ios because in my short stint with an iPad I had more push services I had to manually turn off on it, by far, than I've ever had with Android.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
  8. Neoart

Neoart Member

Right - we're aware of turning stuff off - but what's included on Android is hugely invasive different than what's on iPhone or their pads.
    My iPad - is set to WIFI only - after I learned how AT&T funds an empire over 3G.

One switch on iPhone can stop kill all apps - then allow 1,2 etc. like mail.
    Myself - I have to go through every app on Droid to make sure.
    Or go to airplane mode for wifi only.

Load in any game apps -
    played once -you're doomed.

Luckily - the very few games I have on devices don't have any background nonsense like XPlane. I have never seen one alert.
    Cheers
Search tags for this page

freakiest apps android