Reaction score
dfnewsig.png

How to root the latest software version: 2.01.605.11

Prerequisites:
-Must be HTC Dev unlocked [info here]
-Must have AmonRa Recovery installed [info here]

-Boot into AmonRa recovery
-Under developer menu choose "install superuser and su"
-This will install the root exploit as well as the superuser app to manage root privileges [if you factory reset and loose the superuser app, re-download from Market, you are still rooted]

This latest OTA update broke the zerg rush exploit that is commonly used to root, so far the above method is all that is available to root the OTA.

How to root previous software version: 1.02.605.6

Note: You may use the above method to root this software version as well

Other root method requires a Windows machine:

[These instructions have been taken from this thread here from xda]

Perm Root Method
If you unlocked the bootloader with HTCDev.com then use the OneClickRoot with pure zergRush for perm root exploit

Download - OneClickRoot

Once you are perm rooted you can use the disable, enable, Wireless Tether and adblock options in the tool.
===============================================================================

Temp Root Method
Use the root option in the Tool which is only good for temp root with the locked bootloader.

===============================================================================

Tool

New version of temp root to make it easier to use with more options.

Menu driven including:
    • Temp root
    • Disable and enable application and other packages
    • Wireless Tether
    • Ad block
    • See screenshot below for all options.
  • Temp root now holds until reboot.
  • Disabled applications hold until enabled.
Updated and Working:
Latest zergRush package
Latest adb inline
Latest Superuser and su binary are installed if not already installed
Latest busybox
  • Thanks to scrosler for the idea of including the application disabling as part of the tool.
  • Thanks to con247 and meizu devs for the zergRush script that persists until reboot

NOTE: If this does not work for you try scrosler's or con247's versions. Subtle difference may make one or the other work better for you.

Instructions:
  1. Extract all of zip file to your PC
  2. Open folder (do not rename files folder)
  3. Reboot your phone
  4. Make sure HTC Sync is not running on PC
  5. Connect phone in Charge only mode
  6. Double click TempRootTool.bat
  7. Run your choices and exit
  8. Mount SD Card in Settings > SD and phone storage
  9. Have fun.
NOTE: If you do lose root reboot first then reapply.

Menu Options:

1) Temp Root Device - Will temp root your phone and install Superuser if it is not already installed
2) Disable applications - Will disable applications in your application list
3) Enable applications - Will enable applications in your application list
4) Edit Applications List - Will put the application list in notepad for editing (currently set for the bloat I disable)
5) Install Wireless Tether
6) Install ad block host file
R) === Reboot your Device === - Will reboot your device. Reboot if you don't need temp root after managing applications
H) Help - Help information
ENTER - Exit

Download Temp Root Tool v2

Last edited:
OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where can we find these "proper HTC drivers?"

They install themselves when you install HTC Sync. If you have not done so, go here. If you can't get the root to work, uninstall HTC Sync and reboot the machine, don't worry, the drivers will still be there.

willywonkaisrsh

Reaction score
They install themselves when you install HTC Sync. If you have not done so, go here. If you can't get the root to work, uninstall HTC Sync and reboot the machine, don't worry, the drivers will still be there.

Worked like a charm. Thanks, and thanks for the great guide(s).

As a side note, I noticed that when I right-clicked and ran the batch as Administrator that it would fail, which is wierd because this is usually what you have to do. For those that are having problems, DONT RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

davidetkin511

Reaction score
I have a mac, but i am comfortable using ADB Push. So if anybody can tell me what to push and to where it would same me the trouble of installing windows on my mac! Thanks!

fallofshadows

Reaction score
I didn't uninstall HTC Sync the first time, and it said I was perm rooted, but Set CPU told me it couldn't get root access, as did TiBu. I uninstalled HTC Sync, ran the rooter again, and BOOM! Root access.

Now, how do we go about getting wireless tether? :D

edwinm

Reaction score

Worked like a freaking charm. Now my Rezound will be perfect. I think this possibly makes it better than the GNex.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how do you uninstall HTC Sync completely?

Go into the control panel and select all programs and find HTC Sync, click on it, then click on remove or change. Once finished, reboot and you should be good.

Worked like a freaking charm. Now my Rezound will be perfect. I think this possibly makes it better than the GNex.

Was thinking the same lol once dev work gets rolling on this thing, better for sure, but we won't tell anyone ;) lol

briandmiller

Reaction score
Is there an unroot procedure

Just wonder if there are any details yet about unrooting the Rezound after this.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
won't work for me. i booted into recovery mode to make sure i really did unlock it, just to be 100% even though i watched it tell me i unlocked my phone. my bootloader is unlocked.

i had htc sync installed. it didnt work. i uninstalled it. tried again. didnt work. rebooted my pc. same thing. i reinstalled htc sync. then made sure it wasn't running. still nothing.

i get a lot of errors when i run the script. says 'can't write' and a bunch of stuff. oh i also turned off my antivirus.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
As a side note, I noticed that when I right-clicked and ran the batch as Administrator that it would fail, which is wierd because this is usually what you have to do. For those that are having problems, DONT RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

should never have listened to this guy. i read the whole thread before i tried it the first time and paid attention to this post and followed it.

i went back and ran as administrator and it worked.

wasted 30 minutes of my life.

Alphaman

Reaction score
Done. Didn't work the 1st time but I uninstalled HTC Sync, rebooted and it worked! Thanks!

713King

Reaction score
yea there are already files to be able and return the Rezound back to STOCK! so I think this will be my upgrade, I was thinking about GNEX but than I think about it and SAMSUNG made it so thats a NO to that, I like the whole google experience but the Rezound seems to be a very solid phone

McClellan

Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question but I am going to ask any way, does the phone need to be powered off or on before the start ?