[How-To] DIY SoftKeys Mods

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
OK I'm sorry for all the questions but, I'm running codename 1.1.4 and I tried to change the menu button. I edited it and put it in an update.zip but it didn't change my menu icon. I hate the three little dots they drive me nuts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
OK I'm sorry for all the questions but, I'm running codename 1.1.4 and I tried to change the menu button. I edited it and put it in an update.zip but it didn't change my menu icon. I hate the three little dots they drive me nuts.

Obvious question. Did you make sure you put it back into the systemUI.apk and put that in the right location of the update.zip?

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
you are my hero sir. that was exactly it. didnt remember i flashed a darker version of contacts though so i lost my black theme. but i think i could just grab that zip pull the contacts.apk and replace it with my new image correct? and i should keep my dark contacts with my new yellow phone icon.

Sounds right.

Haven't used that rom yet, but it may be using another name for that icon. I would check and see what its calling the 3 dots and name your icons the same.

Btw, I don't mind the questions. If I'm around, I'll gladly answer them.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Obvious question. Did you make sure you put it back into the systemUI.apk and put that in the right location of the update.zip?

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

Yes I did

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Sounds right.

Haven't used that rom yet, but it may be using another name for that icon. I would check and see what its calling the 3 dots and name your icons the same.

Btw, I don't mind the questions. If I'm around, I'll gladly answer them.

Yea I searched around and found the dots. They are named the same so idk what happened.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I ran into the same problems with the lockscreen icons. I went as far as changing the icons to text, using the file names for the icons instead of the icons. Still didn't solve my problem. Those things happen sometimes. The way I edit the icons is by taking the icon I want and open it in gimp(or whatever editor you use) and draw my icon. Then I'll delete the previous one and save mine. That way I'm not changing the name of it. Just to avoid confusion because it would only take 1 typo for it not to work.

Tomorrow, if I get time, I'll look at that rom and see if I can make heads or tails of it. Things like that can be aggravating if you're on a roll and 1 icons is holding up your progress.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Yea man I've made a lot of progress its pretty exciting. I'm getting there. All my launcher icons are now yellow. Now just to find the app drawer icon

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
The app drawer icon is in the launcher app, ic_allapps.png maybe. Can't remember off the top of my head. Let's say that is it, there will also be a ic_allapps_pressed & ic_allapps_focused. Something like that.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
yea I found it. I'm using nova launcher so I had to dig in there. But I'm editing right now my dock will be complete.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Well all done with the dock. Just pulled the images and edited them and put em on my phone and changed the icon via nova launcher. Its looking good.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
OK so I edited the stock battery icons from blue to yellow. I replaced them everywhere they were in the systemui.apk. I put them in an update.zip and nothing. Do I need to edit the individual percent icons as well to get them to work at all? The battery and menu icon is the only things I can get to work and once they work I will be mostly done.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I downloaded codenameDroid 1.1.4. I don't know what happened with the menu icon not changing. If you got the other ones, that one should've worked too. I haven't tried changing the battery icons yet, but this is my theory;

There are icons in the framework-res.apk\drawable-xhdpi folder that correspond with the ones in the SystemUI.apk\drawable-xhdpi folder, as far as the battery levels. The ones in the framework folder aren't colored. They may be controlled by an xml somewhere. But there are also more icons in the SystemUI.apk that dont have any symbols or percentages on them. I'm not sure which ones need to be changed or, if its gonna be an xml that needs editing. You may just have to experiment with them.
I tried to put some of them in a picture to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
battery_sample.png

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Yup I edited the ones in the systemui not the framework Res ones. I need to start learning to edit .XML now lol. I really wanna have this theme complete. And btw I tried the menu key again and this time it just made it a pressed soft key. Like it was constantly glowing but no dots no menu key.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
That's weird. If you want, post it or pm it to me & I'll take a look at it.

I was going to post a link for some info on xml editing, but my Internet connection just crapped out. The name of the thread is, "So you want to edit xml's or more...an ADB.APK Manager How-To (Basics)", here on DF. It's in the Droid theming> Droid themers> Team inversion conversion section. A very smart individual wrote it. ;)