[How-To] DIY SoftKeys Mods

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no I was referring to the softkeys background. I thought maybe it was the navigation xml in the layout folder but that jsut made the highlight png come thru in the certer button only.. looked kinda odd. So, I figured maybe it wasnt allowing transparency so i went into the smali to check but it looked ok.. i think. I was tired...lol Just thoguht Id ask you off hand incase you had it sorted out.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I'm now trying to edit the mms.apk. I want to make the icon all black with yellow eyes and mouth. I noticed there is 3 different images. Would I have to edit all of them?

The only one I know of is the ic_launcher_smsmms.png in the drawable-xhdpi folder. That would be the one in the app drawer. Now there is the status bar icon too, stat_notify_sms.png in the same folder.

no I was referring to the softkeys background. I thought maybe it was the navigation xml in the layout folder but that jsut made the highlight png come thru in the certer button only.. looked kinda odd. So, I figured maybe it wasnt allowing transparency so i went into the smali to check but it looked ok.. i think. I was tired...lol Just thoguht Id ask you off hand incase you had it sorted out.

I haven't been through the xml's too much. And never touched any smali's.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
The only one I know of is the ic_launcher_smsmms.png in the drawable-xhdpi folder. That would be the one in the app drawer. Now there is the status bar icon too, stat_notify_sms.png in the same folder.

OK thanks I just wanted to have an idea before I started modifying things. Also you know where like text color or like the blue line in the notification bar is located at?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I beleive.. but am not swearing to it... that the images ain the other folders are for tablets and whatnot. It looks there to get the correctly sized app drawar and screen icons since it's larger than the cell phone screen.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
Also you know where like text color or like the blue line in the notification bar is located at?

No, haven't looked for those yet. Xkape would be the man to ask about that. But I'm sure those are in an xml & yo uwould have to decompile the mms app to edit those.

I beleive.. but am not swearing to it... that the images ain the other folders are for tablets and whatnot. It looks there to get the correctly sized app drawar and screen icons since it's larger than the cell phone screen.

When they said that ICS was for phones & tablets, that's always been in the back of my head. Just judging by the names of the folders & size of the icons.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
ic. OK well thanks guys I really appreciate everything. I'll be back here with more questions from time to time if you don't mind.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I haven't looked into the systemui much but i can tell you that the text color would require xml edits (certain roms do have the ability to change them in the rom settings though and the "blue line" you refer to, on GB was, I believe an image.. horizontal_divider.png or something similar. A lot has changed now though with ICS.. meaning, more controlled thru hex edits in the values xml's. Ill be in there tonight though giving transparency another go.. ill look for the dividers for you.

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
I haven't looked into the systemui much but i can tell you that the text color would require xml edits (certain roms do have the ability to change them in the rom settings though and the "blue line" you refer to, on GB was, I believe an image.. horizontal_divider.png or something similar. A lot has changed now though with ICS.. meaning, more controlled thru hex edits in the values xml's. Ill be in there tonight though giving transparency another go.. ill look for the dividers for you.

thanks man. I'm also gonna dig through em later on just had a few things to do today but then its time to get serious lol

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Check out my new mms icon. I'm digging that I learned this. I can finally make my phone the way I want it. Now just need to learn to decompile apks so I can edit .XML and what not

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
I noticed that. I can't seem to stop editing things lol. Btw why do my screenshots always show up so pixelated on here?

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I think its just the way the site attaches pictures. I use photobucket or imgur from the market to post pictures. If you use those, use the "img" option to post them.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
OK cool thanks again. One more question. I'm trying to edit my phone.APk. I found the pic of the phone and edited it to my liking. When pushed back to my phone there is no change. So I took telephony provider.apk and edited that pic as well. Still nothing. What am I missing?

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I'm not around my PC to check, but look in the contacts app. That's the only other place I can think of.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
you are my hero sir. that was exactly it. didnt remember i flashed a darker version of contacts though so i lost my black theme. but i think i could just grab that zip pull the contacts.apk and replace it with my new image correct? and i should keep my dark contacts with my new yellow phone icon.