How to add vvm.apk to Gummyjar

nmodlin

Reaction score
SO i need to have vvm cause i hate youmail and google voice. Just way to many features( no flaming me). When i go to install the downloaded vvm.apk it always says unsuccesful. How can i add this please?.

tek1231

Reaction score
SO i need to have vvm cause i hate youmail and google voice. Just way to many features( no flaming me). When i go to install the downloaded vvm.apk it always says unsuccesful. How can i add this please?.

+1
I would like to know this as well.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
I know this is possiable

i have done this a couple of times after rom installs cant quite remember how but i think there is something the build.prop file blocking you from installing its about 3/4 the way down and have to be changed from true to false :reddroid: and placeing the Vmm.apk in the system/apps folder

xxheartstrings

Reaction score
i have done this a couple of times after rom installs cant quite remember how but i think there is something the build.prop file blocking you from installing its about 3/4 the way down and have to be changed from true to false :reddroid: and placeing the Vmm.apk in the system/apps folder

I'd really like to know if this has worked for anyone. I do not like YouMail so far and won't be using Google Voice, either. I'm too new at all of this to be tinkering around in changing things in the ROM, so if anyone has detailed or stepbystep instructions to help a noob like me, that'd be fabulous!

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
This Should Work "Worked for me anyways"

sorry can't be more help you can alway make a back up of build.prop by making a copy and renameing it to build.prop.bak fyi
"the value in build.prop where it says something like VVM=true needs to be set to false, then you can grab it from the market.

just searched...
its about 3/4 of the way down, saying vvm is preloaded, change it to false." "all pulled from another post somewhere"
this has worked for me again after changing up to GummyJar 2.5

ohh and change permissions for Vvm.apk in root explorer just ck them all thats what i did and the attached file has everything done but permissions and placement of files goodluck and dont forget to make a backup & reboot dancedroid
1 mount system/apps R/W
2 place vvm.apk in system/apps
3 change permissions "ck them all even tho the first two user ones and the first 1 on the other 2 should be good"
4 make backup of build.prop you already have by renameing it to build.prop.bak
5 place attached build.prop "came from Droid2" to system or just make a copy of your own open it with notepad on your PC and edit it
6 reboot should be installed in the app drawer

"Just remove the .zip from the file" Goodluck and hope that was detailed enough

Last edited:

deftdrummer

Reaction score
Thanks buddy, I used your guide (and your .apk) to restore visual voice mail on my Droid X. If I had to read one more thread saying "just use Google Voice" I was gonna explode.

Simple. Google Voice STILL has the bug where the screen doesn't turn off when you hold it to your face to list to to VM. Not using.

Thanks again for the help.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
yea google voice pisses me off too

Thanks buddy, I used your guide (and your .apk) to restore visual voice mail on my Droid X. If I had to read one more thread saying "just use Google Voice" I was gonna explode.

Simple. Google Voice STILL has the bug where the screen doesn't turn off when you hold it to your face to list to to VM. Not using.

Thanks again for the help.

yea google voice sucks :soapbox: anyways glad I could help with your Vvm.apk needs

xxheartstrings

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to give me a little more detail on editing build.prop? I'm a total newb and I have no idea how to do it. I have root explorer but after that I'm totally clueless. I need my vvm back!!

deftdrummer

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to give me a little more detail on editing build.prop? I'm a total newb and I have no idea how to do it. I have root explorer but after that I'm totally clueless. I need my vvm back!!

You won't need to edit the build prop unless you are trying to get the app from the market, however you can manually install using the methods described above.

Just make sure to unzip the app to System>Apps (or drag and drop after zipped). You can also use Root explorer to find the file once its somewhere on your SD card, then long press, select move, then navigate to System>Apps and paste the file there.

Then, you want to install using the DX built in installer or I believe root explorer has an installer built in as well. Select OK and after it installs long click the file and select "permissions" with root explorer.

Next, make sure all check boxes are clicked and hit OK. Reboot your phone and visual voicemail should not be an app in the app drawer and also linked via the dialpad on the DX.

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
permissions before install all tho i dont think you need to install it just place it in the system/apps and reboot i could have forgotten by now

Digital Cha0s

Reaction score
and the build prop is EZ
1. Just place a COPY of it on you PC and OPEN WITH... notepad or other txt editer
2. Look for the Vvm line 3/4 the way down and change from true to false or whatever way is sound correct then SAVE
3. RENAME build.prop on you phone to build.prop.bak
4. place build.prop the one you fixed up to your liking from your PC to your Phone in the same place as the ORIGANAL
5. REBOOT

if you dont understand I'm sorry been drinking tonight and all I can say is I tried lol but no good luck XXstrings dancedroid you will get it I'im sure

Last edited:

xxheartstrings

Reaction score
Ok.. I got it figured out! Thanks so much for all that help! I am SO glad to have my vvm back!!!

deftdrummer

Reaction score
Glad to hear. I too was freaking out cause Fabolous decided to exclude VVM and some other apps due to their being considered "bloat" by most people. I use and pay for VVM, and DX has one of the best built in apps for VVM around!