How much is 5GB really?

BluMartini

Reaction score
So Im a Big Playstation 3 fan, so i'm sure you all have heard of the capability to tether your droid to a laptop, and with an ethernet connection, connect to your PS3 and play online and access the PSN Network through the tether.... However, i have recently read that the 5GB Cap is in effect while tethering...... Not being familiar with how much MB/GB/TBs are transferred while doing this... Does anyone have any idea how long or how much GB is being tranferred while using the PS3 while tethering the droid? Does anyone know how i can find out how much i am using while doing this operation?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So Im a Big Playstation 3 fan, so i'm sure you all have heard of the capability to tether your droid to a laptop, and with an ethernet connection, connect to your PS3 and play online and access the PSN Network through the tether.... However, i have recently read that the 5GB Cap is in effect while tethering...... Not being familiar with how much MB/GB/TBs are transferred while doing this... Does anyone have any idea how long or how much GB is being tranferred while using the PS3 while tethering the droid? Does anyone know how i can find out how much i am using while doing this operation?

I wouldn't tether to your PS3 at all, since if you get caught, Verizon can fine you, throttle your 3G speed, or put a 5GB limit on your data plan. But there is no 5GB limit if you just pay for unlimited, but you can get one if your not careful.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hadn't heard about a cap. I'd say give it a try. If it works, you're in business. If not, you'll know. I know I've seen people say that they have no lag or other issues using tether to play xbox live.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all, there is no 5GB rule with the Android phone. Unless you are using a wireless card and paying $59.99 per month, you're not capped. Secondly, I would hesitate to be using the wifi on the PS3 for a couple of reasons....first, it would be a lag issue for you, and second, even though there's no cap, big old red flags could come up at VZW if you were excessive and could have some explaining to do. But, read the FAQ section, there's a thread in there about no worry about a 5 GB cap.

OP
B

BluMartini

Reaction score
Ok so after reading around i have found that the 5 GB Cap IS in effect if you are TETHERING, and that depending on where you are located, the lag is actually not that bad, just wondering how long i would have to play online to eat up 5 GB.... and Vulcan... How can red flags come up at VZW, and how can i be in Excess.... if there is No Cap??? No Cap to me means the word Excess would not exist right?

Last edited:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so after reading around i have found that the 5 GB Cap IS in effect if you are TETHERING, and that depending on where you are located, the lag is actually not that bad, just wondering how long i would have to play online to eat up 5 GB....

We have stated this already.

Tethering isn't something verizon lets us Droid owners do. We found a way too.

The 5GB tethering limit you are talking about is probably for the Palm Pre, or something like that. But unless you get caught, their is no 5GB cap for your Droid.

I still don't recommend tethering your PS3 to your Droids 3G.

silvere2

Reaction score
Ok so after reading around i have found that the 5 GB Cap IS in effect if you are TETHERING, and that depending on where you are located, the lag is actually not that bad, just wondering how long i would have to play online to eat up 5 GB....

Do you not have a broadband connection at home?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok so after reading around i have found that the 5 GB Cap IS in effect if you are TETHERING, and that depending on where you are located, the lag is actually not that bad, just wondering how long i would have to play online to eat up 5 GB.... and Vulcan... How can red flags come up at VZW, and how can i be in Excess.... if there is No Cap??? No Cap to me means the word Excess would not exist right?
Officially, in VZW eyes, there is no such thing as tethering with a Droid.

ShowTime

Reaction score
No. Verizon doesn't want you tethering at all (assuming you just have the normal unlimited data plan). There is absolutely zero, no, none, not a 5GB limit on the Droid with the unlimited plan. Technically, you are not allowed to use it to tether at all, so there is no "cap while tethering". The point Vulcan was trying to make is that you can use as much data as you want and tether if you want. BUT tethering a lot is going to greatly increase your data usage. While this, in itself is no problem (since, again, there is no cap), a sudden or erratic, large increase in data usage could bring up a red flag to Verizon and IF they find out/can prove you're using your phone to tether, then they can penalize/fine you.

OP
B

BluMartini

Reaction score
Vulcan, Good point, and yes i have a broadband connection at home, but i will be doing this at work, with 3G, with my phone, a laptop, and a ps3... its a slow weekend at work so i have got to give this a try. We will have to see how the lag is, and how much GB i eat up..... and Showtime, it is all making sense to me now, thanks!..... from what i've been reading there have been no reported incidents of VZW actually taking action, as i'm sure others have done this before.... ever heard of VZW actually stepping in? I would only be doing this for 4-6 Hrs Twice a month or so.

Last edited:

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score

I found this link that tries to explain how many KB/hr using PS3, but not sure where they found the info or if it's accurate.

NOTE: 1,000 Kilobytes (KB) is 1 Megabyte (MB). 1,000 Megabytes is 1 Gigabyte (GB) in case you didn't know.

Does online gaming on the PS3 use up bandwidth - Yahoo! Answers

EDIT: Some more info:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080819073628AARCqXU

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey look! Another one of these threads.

People who do stuff like this are the reason that Verizon will start capping all data plans (not just tethering)...so please don't do it.

OP
B

BluMartini

Reaction score
Lun3y..... Great info that is exactly what i was looking for, looks like i will be well under any red flags for 4-6 hrs of gameplay on the ps3, i will download the monitor for the comp just to make sure.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Vulcan, Good point, and yes i have a broadband connection at home, but i will be doing this at work, with 3G, with my phone, a laptop, and a ps3... its a slow weekend at work so i have got to give this a try. We will have to see how the lag is, and how much GB i eat up..... and Showtime, it is all making sense to me now, thanks!..... from what i've been reading there have been no reported incidents of VZW actually taking action, as i'm sure others have done this before.... ever heard of VZW actually stepping in? I would only be doing this for 4-6 Hrs Twice a month or so.

Just kinda curious... where the heck do you work that you're able to go in on the weekend and get away with playing on a PS3? :icon_eek:

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
Hey look! Another one of these threads.

People who do stuff like this are the reason that Verizon will start capping all data plans (not just tethering)...so please don't do it.

And probably still making boatloads of cash even with people going over.