Question about Verizon Wireless and Tethering

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I have been reading about how their "unlimited" data plan actually has a 5GB cap. I have also been reading about how they are going to start charging for tethering capability. I was just wondering if any of this was true or not because I read them on not-so-legit websites. Haven't seen anything on Verizon's website, haven't seen it on any major news networks. Just seen it on some blackberry forums and stuff. Can they really trace whether you are using a laptop or just using your phone when connecting to a website??

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I used to bluetooth DUN tether to my laptop four or five years ago with an Mototola flip phone using techniques I learned on Howard Forums. Since before that point in time Verizon has been claiming this. I eventually stopped because I did not have an unlimited data plan on my regular cell phone for fear of charges, but never got charged.

I think as long as you are paying for the unlimited data plan on your Droid you will be safe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have been reading about how their "unlimited" data plan actually has a 5GB cap.

There is no Cap on Data for the Droid. Period....

Now that being said, Tethering is not allowed without paying for it, but as the Droid has no such plan at the moment, I would suggest using common sense when tethering....

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I have been reading about how their "unlimited" data plan actually has a 5GB cap.

There is no Cap on Data for the Droid. Period....

Now that being said, Tethering is not allowed without paying for it, but as the Droid has no such plan at the moment, I would suggest using common sense when tethering....

I don't think everyone here has common sense - including myself - most of two time, so I'd like to add to this!

Don't use your tethering to download and/or upload hundreds of gigs of warez. It probably looks suspicious seeing subcribers of their handsets using so much data. I've used it on vacation, and at one time I used it steadily with heavy downloading for a month. I'm pretty sure you'll never get an accurate answer as to what the limit is before they decide to charge you extra. But if they do, call them up and explain you didn't know any better because your Veruzon representative sold you an unlimited data plan. There are a lot of reps willing to help you.

If you are really worried about it, don't tether it until you verify it with Verizon yourself. ;) I won't let them sell me some tethering plan.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Stretch2m

Reaction score
Also, it seems to me that Verizon could easily tell when the data usage is from a PC browser since browsers identify themselves in the http header.

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
How do you tether?

Since you are asking "how to tether", your question might be better answered going to the front of the forum page then clicking the search button at the top and slect s"earch all threads " (it sould be the default option).

If you can't find the answer tusing that method, although y u should, I would create a new thread. There's lots of information on this forum about tethering.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, it seems to me that Verizon could easily tell when the data usage is from a PC browser since browsers identify themselves in the http header.

Nope. Your droid is fully capable of accessing non-mobile sites without violating your service agreement.

Folks, this is pretty simple. VZW is willing to let you access the 3G network as much as you like as long as the device you're using is your phone. They figure that you (and others like you) are unlikely to overwhelm the network as long as you're simply staring at a little 3 inch screen.

On the other hand, if you're using your droid simply as a "pass through" to another system, they figure you're likely to be a heavier user of the network and would like you to pay for it. Hint: So would lots of other users whose performance you're affecting.

It's neither cost-effective nor in VZW's interest from a PR perspective to monitor the sites you visit to try to figure out if you're tethering your droid. On the other hand, if you regularly use the network to download many gigs of data, you may hear from them. And if you do hear from them, they hold all the cards. They can simply terminate your service.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only if the browser is connecting to their web server and only if they're somehow associating it with your data usage. In any case, as jsh1120 pointed out, you can change your browser's user agent to set it to identify itself as a desktop browser.

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
I have been using it to play call of duty.modern warfare 2. I'm guessing that uses a good amount of data...

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
This thread is very reassuring. I just got worried because I hit 5 gigs of space because I reinstalled a computer and used my phone to update everything.

Something I never do usually.

From reading this thread, sounds like 5 gig won't cause a red flag and their are others who need to worry when they start downloading torrents, and wares, and do gaming... THAT I assume causes red flags.

OP
GohanBurner

GohanBurner

Reaction score
This thread is very reassuring. I just got worried because I hit 5 gigs of space because I reinstalled a computer and used my phone to update everything.

Something I never do usually.

From reading this thread, sounds like 5 gig won't cause a red flag and their are others who need to worry when they start downloading torrents, and wares, and do gaming... THAT I assume causes red flags.

Bah, who knows. If something happens then we will report it. Nothing to date though.

Verizon is spool stingy haha.

kamileon

Reaction score
I have been using it to play call of duty.modern warfare 2. I'm guessing that uses a good amount of data...
I find it hard to believe that the measly 1mb of speed is enough for that?

I did too until I tried it. I get 3 out of 4 bars of good connection USB or wifi tethered.

There is a thread floating around somewhere about this. But to sum it up it is possible. I use it for my 360 and what you have to remember is that it only actually uses very little data to play online. The system relies more on the game itself and only uses the internet to sync data with everyone else playing.

Also and as far as VZW is concerned about tethering is you need to look at the palm pre they have now. My wife has one it has an app pre-installed that allows you to use the phone as a wifi hotspot supporting up to 5 computers. And we only pay for the unlimited data plan, no extra fees to use it. I called VZW and spoke to several different reps before we used it to ensure we didnt incur any charges for using it, and they all said no, covered by our data plan. Same data plan used for the Droid.