Question about Verizon Wireless and Tethering

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
BnB made a good point. Just use common sense. I know people who tether off their eris like it is a home modem and have not been burnt yet.
This is how I look at it; If I set Xscope or Dolphin to desktop user agent I will get the same site as if I loaded it from my computer. Just stay away from torrents. I would not recommend you use it all the time as you home modem. But to tether your netbook for an hour or two is not going to pull more gigs then using your droid (depending on the sites you go to ). I did a comparison for the month I tethered vs months I used my phone and it was not that big of a difference.
That is mainly because I will run pandora or moodio.fm all day.

wernst

Reaction score
Also, it seems to me that Verizon could easily tell when the data usage is from a PC browser since browsers identify themselves in the http header.

Wrong. There are plenty of browsers that can change the browser "User Agent String" to desktop programs. Even the stock 2.1 browser can be made to do so.

There are ways Verizon can GUESS you are tethering, but checking the browser's User Agent String is not one of them.

-Warr

R

Romple

I have been using it to play call of duty.modern warfare 2. I'm guessing that uses a good amount of data...

Actually online games don't use a terrible amount of actual bandwidth and don't need very high transfer speeds.

The big determining factor of the viability of any connection for online gaming is latency. Satellite gets decent transfer speeds but have absolutely awful latency (you're sending your **** through space!). As long as the latency isn't too bad going over 3G then most online games should be fairly playable - and they shouldn't leave too big a "bandwidth footprint".