How do i turn this off?

cssjamesr

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new at this i just got my droid last week, and so far i love it. It is a great phone(if you want to call it that, i think it is way more than that). Anyways i need to turn off the liltle bar at the top that show the text messaging i want to tell me when i got one but no to show all the message, or at least no when the phone is lock or something. I almost got in trouble yesterday with the wife if you know what i mean....:icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you talking about the notification icon that shows in the top bar when you get a text? or that the text is previewed in the notification bar when it first comes in?

OP
C

cssjamesr

Reaction score
Are you talking about the notification icon that shows in the top bar when you get a text? or that the text is previewed in the notification bar when it first comes in?

the text in the notification bar

xtremlee

Reaction score
I have the same problem for the same reason. I think what he meant was he wants the notification to come in that we have a text but we dont want it to freaking show what it says. I thought i saw somewhere that you could turn off the preview for text messages not to be shown in the status bar

DroidLatina

Reaction score
Same Problem

i have the same problem as well...i want to be notified (a sound and / or the green light on top) but i dont want to FULL message to be shown along with the entire phone number on the status bar on top...is there a way to fix this? HELP! :) thanks!

DroidLatina

Reaction score
motorola.com

i went on motorola.com's live chat...here's what they said :-(....there's gotta be a way you guys!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is making me want to take back my droid!!!!

Message.gif
Leandro P.: Hi, my name is Leandro P.. How may I help you?
Message.gif
Me.: i have question about sms / text messages and how i'm notified...i don't want the whole text message / phone number to show up on the status bar, however, i do want to get notified that i have a new text message (a sound and or the light)...is there a way to just shut off the status bar, while keeping on one or both of the other notifications?
Message.gif
Leandro P.: Let me help you with this.
Message.gif
Me.: thanks
Message.gif
Leandro P.: You are welcome
Message.gif
Leandro P.: You can set it so there is no sound, but you will get a notification on the screen that you received a text message.
Message.gif
Leandro P.: There is no way to shut off the status bar.
Message.gif
Me.: that's what i was afraid of...thanks for your help!
Message.gif
Leandro P.: No problem
Message.gif
Leandro P.: do you have any other question/
Message.gif
Leandro P.: ?
Message.gif
Me.: no, that's it for today! Thanks a lot for your help Leandro! :)
Message.gif
Leandro P.: I hope you found our chat to be Excellent. I would request that after you click 'Hang Up', please remember to click on the 'Close' button within the chat window and take a moment to fill out a short survey to tell us how we did. It should only take about 1 minute to complete. Your responses will help us get better at serving your needs.
Message.gif
Leandro P.: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
Message.gif
Me.: bye, thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maybe post this request in the Hacks section....Maybe one of the uber geeks can create a ROM that has this done to it....

Lance1980

Reaction score
I need help also. I bought a droid off ebay and when I get a text a text window pops up in the center of the screen and stops me from what i am doing. How do I turn this off? Thanks!

sapo916

Reaction score
The only way you will stop the message from appearing is to switch from the default messaging app to a different one from the market like Handcent SMS. Handcent actually gives you the option to NOT display the message in the notification bar. Otherwise go message Google to add that feature, the more people do it the more likely they will listen.

Also to Lance1980, your issue is related to a txt messaging app like Handcent. Simply go to your inbox where you can see all the messages and press the menu button, push options/settings, then find the setting and disable the pop up option. Another option is to go into the market downloads tab and uninstall that 3rd party messaging app and use the default one again. You will not lose any messages throughout this process.

dg8r

Reaction score
I have started using home++ and do not get the message preview. I do get the notification icon.