Baffled. Moto Droid randomly turned off. Lost all apps/settings/internal phone memory

ShoXiao

Reaction score
Hey forum. I am a first time poster and I usually don't do anything like this... but as of right now. I am at a loss for words.

Here is my problem: My phone randomly turned off for some reason. It was in its locked screen, and my friend tried to unlock it by drawing a code. After he did however, all of a sudden the "powering off" window showed up and then my phone proceeded to turn off, I believe it restarted again when this time it showed the whole "update" screen with the progress bar ( the same screen you get when you first turn on your phone for the first time or update it for the first time), and my phone turned on.

To my dismay, something was amiss. I now had to go through the set up process for my phone. Long story short. I logged in with my google account, and when I got to my home screen, all my apps as well as my settings AND pretty much all of my internal phone memory where GONE. This included the restart of my home screen and such.

I just want to know what happened! Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Sounds like you got the FRG22D update and in the process lost your settings and apps. If you had Sync turned on they should all redownload (mostly). Your settings you'll have to restore yourself.

Your contacts should be back too, as long as you had Sync turned on.

:welcome: to the forum!

OP
S

ShoXiao

Reaction score
AH! but thats the thing. I already had Froyo on my phone, and this thing happened. I don't think it updated anything either! My SD card media are safe (pictures and video), and so are my contacts. But apps, home screen, and settings are GONE. haha it's pretty frustrating.

Maybe it's time to root that darn thing!

Oh and another note, I tried to go to downloads on Market, It doesn't have ANY history of my downloaded apps. So I can't install ANY of my apps.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
FroYo comes in two flavors. Ie a second update has been rolling out. FRG22D to be precise. Clear your market data in the settings/applications/manage applications/all/market and they should be back soon if you had Sync turned on.

OP
S

ShoXiao

Reaction score
Well i did what you said... and I guess I didn't get all my apps back. I think i should have been a bit clearer. All the apps I downloaded from the market (not the ones i already have) are gone. Though the apps that came with the phone is already installed.

When my phone "restarted" It became as if I just opened the darn thing from the box. Im pretty sure if I didn't sign in using my Google ID, it would have been just like any other "new" phone.

Also my sync has always been on but it seems like even tho it is on, during this particular case, it is not helping much. I may just have to redownload everything again...

baaah I really want to know what went wrong. Everything was fine at one point, but then boom my phone turns off randomly and then everything is cleared out.

Is this just a simple case of a phone crashing and losing memory?