How do I turn off mail?

Rockydoc

Reaction score
I have a new Droid Incredible. It is set up to receive my Comcast.net email. This is great when I need it, like when I am out of town, so I don't have to take my laptop. But when I am at home I have my Mac and I prefer to handle my email on it.

So how do I turn my email on when I am traveling and off when I am at home?

I ran several searches on this forum and didn't find an answer to my question.

Rockydoc

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think most people just leave it running on their phone all the time. I know I do.

Anyway, if you are using POP3 then your email client probably allows you to set polling interval to never.

Personally, though, I don't like to toggle settings all the time so I leave stuff on. Are you trying to save battery life by shutting it off on the phone? It doesn't save much power.

OP
R

Rockydoc

Reaction score
How do I turn off email

I just don't want my email inbox filling up, and I don't want to waste my time deleting email I have already read on my Mac. How do I set that poling interval to never , as you suggested?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have to delete it in 2 places. I use k9 and set sync remote deletions. The stock email app should not be used as it is buggy.

Check your email client's settings for polling interval. It only works for POP3 as IMAP uses push, not polling.

OP
R

Rockydoc

Reaction score
email off, email on

When you say "email client" do you mean the email program on my Droid Incredible, on my Mac or at Comcast.net? I am not sure I even know what an email client is. When you say the stock email is buggy do you mean the one on DI? What would you recommend instead?

Rockydoc

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
An email client is any program used to send/receive email. I was saying that you should set "delete from server when I delete" on the phone's email client.

I wasn't paying attention to the fact that we're in the DI forum. I don't know how the DI mail client is. Personally, I use K9. Many people seem to like it. Another method is to have google check your email account. Then you could receive your mail in the gmail app. It is pretty easy to set up by logging in at gmail.com and going to settings there.